Returning a dog to the breeder - Questions/Rant

CatStina

SBT Lover!!
I know the topic has since changed to sighthounds, but I wanted to add something about the puppy. I noticed that a few were concerned about how he was doing emotionally, but no one has emailed the breeder to ask. I took it upon myself to do so and I am happy to report that he is doing well. Here is her response:
Hello Christina,

With the pictures I took the day I took him from Jari, I also included him at one week with 14 lbs. on him, and him at a dog show 6 months after. Were they not included? If not I can forward them for anyone to see.

He is doing VERY well with his new family. Thank you for inquiring. He is stable and obedient and protective of his new family.

I hope this helps.

Best,
Dianna
de la Luna
Here are the pictures she refers to of him at the dog show. They are from page 8, post # 75:

I just thought people would be happy to know that he suffered no lasting effects on his personality/temperament from his early neglect/abuse. I know I will sleep better tonight knowing this. :)

I know the topic has since changed to sighthounds, but I wanted to add something about the puppy. I noticed that a few were concerned about how he was doing emotionally, but no one has emailed the breeder to ask. I took it upon myself to do so and I am happy to report that he is doing well. Here is her response:

Here are the pictures she refers to of him at the dog show. They are from page 8, post # 75:

I just thought people would be happy to know that he suffered no lasting effects on his personality/temperament from his early neglect/abuse. I know I will sleep better tonight knowing this. :)
Thanks. I wasn't going to bother Dianna, since I'm sure she's got plenty on her plate, but I'll admit I've been wondering, having helped with a Fila who was emotionally damaged at an early age -- which was heartbreaking.

I still cry every time I think about her.

Hahah perfect!

My first dog as an adult (me as an adult that is) was a retired racing greyhound. Best girl. I couldn't bear to have another after her, which is how we ended up with Pip - looking for the most un-greyhound-like dog we could. Maybe again someday.

Crummy scan of a print photo...

Red Chrome

It is great knowing that the puppy is doing well and has no lasting effects from his mistreatment and neglect.

Paige

Let it be
Look at that lovely mushy kissable face. I am so happy to hear that regardless of what happened to him, he pulled through. What a trooper.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
I'm so, so glad Bullseye is doing so well. <3
I'm sure he's in a spectacular home that's better than I can do right now, but part of me wishes I could have taken him. Not the right time with my 8 month old wild child, not responsible, but he really struck a chord with me. I was looking at the website's "Adopted/Placed" page and I was instantly drawn to him more than any of the others even before I realized which pup he was.

I'm loving looking at the sighthound pics. Much of my dogs' lives is off leash on acreage, so sighthounds aren't really for me, but I can't stop admiring them. :)

Doberluv

Oh...thank you Cat, so very much for the report. He looks gorgeous. And I'm so happy to know he's well emotionally. He sure looks it by the way he's holding himself and in his face. It goes to show that he must have a good, solid, correct temperament to have been so resilient. The love and care he's getting from his new owners, it would appear, has enhanced his inborn wonderfulness.:) I bet they're thrilled and in love.

Thanks so much for sharing that. Things like this...his early days have a way of eating at me unrelentingly and I'm sure, most everyone.

Doberluv

I was just reading something and this struck me:

"You captivate him. He thinks you are fantastic, you are his, and so, no one is allowed to disturb you. His adoration will grow for you as this friendship deepens. He will only be happy when he is near you, and he will only ask to be able to lie by your feet."
http://www.filadog.com/about_the_fila.htm

It's too bad Teal didn't do her research. If this is not what she wanted, (a puppy that follows her every step practically) what on earth did she get a protection dog for? Protection dogs are like this. They adore you, almost worship you, follow you around, they stick like glue. How else would they be able to do their job if they couldn't keep a close watch on you and didn't have this fiercely strong bond? My Doberman and GSDs were like this...more so, my Dobe and especially as a puppy. He got a little more "chill" when he got mature, but still...he stuck pretty darn close. If he wasn't close, he'd check back in momentarily. lol. It's just too bad. But I'm very happy that this fella had a happy outcome. His new, good owner wouldn't have gotten him, if that awful beginning hadn't happened.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I'm so, so glad Bullseye is doing so well. <3
I'm sure he's in a spectacular home that's better than I can do right now, but part of me wishes I could have taken him. Not the right time with my 8 month old wild child, not responsible, but he really struck a chord with me. I was looking at the website's "Adopted/Placed" page and I was instantly drawn to him more than any of the others even before I realized which pup he was.

I'm loving looking at the sighthound pics. Much of my dogs' lives is off leash on acreage, so sighthounds aren't really for me, but I can't stop admiring them. :)
Me too :), he struck a chord in me too :) glad he found a home where he is loved & appreciated for wanting to be with his ppl :(

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
So glad that Fila puppy is in good hands right now. Looks SO much better!!!!!

Now... on the topic of sighthounds... omggggg aside from being in love with Ibizans.... I soooooo want a Saluki one day (and a rescue grey). I would LOVE to own a Zoi too, but wonder if they aren't "Up and go go" enough for me. They are sooooo beautiful though.

My beezer boy was too thin when I first picked him up. Now he's at the point where you can see his ribs still though hardly and you have to be right up close to really see them, but only a little bit when he standing stacked and there isn't really much of a dip inbetween each rib at all. Now if he turns his body you can see a little more rib. He eats roughly 2 cups of Blue Buffalo every day plus a little plain yogurt and some canned pumpkin and a few treats here and there. I do want him to have a little more muscle definition though so that's a work in progress.

This was Joey when I first got him

and now a couple months later

DSC_0515COPY by PawsItPhotography, on Flickr

I want a black and tan Saluki SO bad

"No No I gots it... see? I gots it!"

Saluki puppy anyone?

ACooper

Joey is such a pretty boy, I just love how you are bringing him right along skittle......just awesome.

And for the record....SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE to baby Saluki! LOL, ADORABLE!!!

stafinois

Professional Nerd
It's too bad Teal didn't do her research. If this is not what she wanted, (a puppy that follows her every step practically) what on earth did she get a protection dog for? Protection dogs are like this. They adore you, almost worship you, follow you around, they stick like glue. How else would they be able to do their job if they couldn't keep a close watch on you and didn't have this fiercely strong bond? My Doberman and GSDs were like this...more so, my Dobe and especially as a puppy. He got a little more "chill" when he got mature, but still...he stuck pretty darn close. If he wasn't close, he'd check back in momentarily. lol. It's just too bad. But I'm very happy that this fella had a happy outcome. His new, good owner wouldn't have gotten him, if that awful beginning hadn't happened.

This is one of the many reasons I nearly had a heart attack when she said she wanted a Malinois.

:eek:

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
OMG, Amber. I was on a hiatus, I guess, from Chaz, and only saw lovely Joey on FB. I had no idea how horrible his condition was when you first got him. :( He's a lucky boy to have you. <3

I'm still working with Fable. She was emaciated like Joey when when she was sick, and it tore my heart apart that she was like that in my care. I was stuffing her full of food and checking in with the vet both with visits and on the phone, but it still killed me.
As of now she's very skinny still (she has a helluva lot more fat than she did, but you can see the tops of her hip bones and feel every rib with no pressure), and even though she's not sick anymore she's a very hard keeper and maintaining her weight without things like satin balls is impossible. Fortunately, even though it's been tough figuring out just what she needs and how much, she is gaining weight slowly but surely, and I can breathe again.
Honestly I haven't posted any pics because of that. I know (or rather hope) that you guys know me well enough that I would not let my dog get so skinny without taking her to the vet to make sure nothing's wrong, without extreme effort to add on weight, etc., but I'm really sensitive over malicious comments I got during her illness from people who should have known me better.

And I got derailed there. Sorry.

Members online

No members online now.