Shiloh Shepherds

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
Can anyone tell me about this breed?
This has got to be the most gorgeous dog breed I have ever seen in my life.
I have been reading up on this breed for a few months and find them quite amazing but I want personal opinions on them, etc etc.

TIA :)

corgi_love

I LOVE Shiloh Shepherds. 100% more than GSD's, and I lovelove GSD's. They are so beautiful. Man. If I ever came across a cute Shiloh Rescue I don't think I could contain myself, even if it was tomorrow LOL.

I'm curious if anyone has any information and man I would be so jealous of you if you got one I'd have to steal him/her from you LOL!

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
LOL Carlee.

SS are one of my 3 dream dogs along with; BMD and Aussies (my heart breed)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I don't have any first hand experience, but there was a big debate thread on another forum about them where two owners/breeders (?) were explaining them to people. All I can remember is that obviously, they're larger than GSDs and they have the long coat. The Shiloh owners explained that there were a LOT of politics with the breed and the registries. The founder apparently had some issues with other people and I don't remember exactly but lots of politics even though its such a small, new breed. Also, they both emphasized that Shilohs are bred with companionship in mind mainly and are not as capable of the versatility GSDs show in working. I think they said their temperament was a lot softer and thus more of a large companion dog rather than a working type dog. I can try to look up the thread.... It was rather long and pretty interesting.

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
Thanks Laur.

From what I gathered, they are veristile as GSD but more of a companion breed than GSD/other shepherds.
They are gorgoues and i would LOOOVE some pics of them if anyone has any.

Falconara

Gene Junkie
I'm not gonna lie....we have alot of politics in my breed...but it pales in comparison to the Shiloh. I dont even begin to understand all of it.

I tend to prefer my dogs smaller...more likely to go over the tall walls that way...and the creator has bred them away from SchH -- so their drives are probably somewhat watered down....there is a wee bit of malamute back there somewhere too...I've heard Tina talk about that.

Other than that I have no opinion.

~Cate

noludoru

Bored Now.
My only experience has been with BYB crap (no offense to the dogs, they were alright.. but breed-worthy? HELL NO!), but my overall impression is that they are mellow, sweet, friendly dogs. Despite nearly zero socialization and territorial issues, the two adults and one older pup warmed up to me after a bit and were very sweet.

BostonBanker

From what I gathered, they are veristile as GSD but more of a companion breed than GSD/other shepherds.
They are gorgoues and i would LOOOVE some pics of them if anyone has any.
I'll have to look around; I have picture somewhere. The dog trainer I used to work for has one. I've got to say, they are very different from what I expected reading about the breed (granted, I only know two, but both were from "good" breeders).

I'd disagree with the above quote based on the two I know. I don't think they would be much as working dogs in anything. Very low drive, mellow dogs. The trainer I know picked the most toy-drivey of the litter on purpose, and he's really not. He kind of does everything in slow motion, EXCEPT when his territorial issues come out. He has had several bites. He is quite obedient in other situations, and seems like a very pleasant house dog. He also has some issues with other dogs, mostly on greeting, but he was also neutered late, so that may play in to it.

I'll try to find the pictures. I think most are in non-digital prints, but I bet I have some on the computer.

DanL

I'd disagree with the above quote based on the two I know. I don't think they would be much as working dogs in anything. Very low drive, mellow dogs. The trainer I know picked the most toy-drivey of the litter on purpose, and he's really not. He kind of does everything in slow motion, EXCEPT when his territorial issues come out. He has had several bites. He is quite obedient in other situations, and seems like a very pleasant house dog. He also has some issues with other dogs, mostly on greeting, but he was also neutered late, so that may play in to it.

I'll try to find the pictures. I think most are in non-digital prints, but I bet I have some on the computer.
I haven't heard much good when it comes to working ability for the Shiloh either. What I don't like about the Shiloh breeders is they keep saying the Shiloh is more like the "old style" GSD- large and big boned, which is not true at all. Early GSD's were not big dogs. They were bred to be quick and agile with great stamina for the work they did. A 100+lb dog would be hard pressed to spend the day herding.

You know of a dog that has had SEVERAL bites? And he's still around? Sounds like a loose cannon to me!

I agree, shilo's sound absolutely great on paper. But my dogs don't live on paper. If you fall for they hype you'll most likely be severly disappointed. I'm sure a few make great pets, but it is an absolute disgrace that they are even compared to a GSD, they are NOT even close to the same. And if they were, we'd be comparing other dog breeds to Shilo's not the other way around. and yes,politics are abound in that little circle.

Barb04

Super Moderator
We thought we were buying from a reputable breeder (the breed founders themselves), only to find out they run a puppy mill. We hadn't gotten a pup yet but paid in full the $1,500. We asked for the money back and said there are no refunds. We decided not to take a pup which could be sick & have tons of medical bills, so $1,500 later we just wound up with a lesson learned.

Supposedly, there are 2 different registrations for Shiloh Shepherds. One is good and one is bad. I don't remember which is which since I want nothing to do with this breed every again. I just needed to tell you our experience.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Okay, I found the thread, if anyone wants it, pm me. There was a breeder there that did a FANTASTIC job answering questions regarding the breed, the purpose of the breed, it's abilities as a worker, health concerns, registries, politics, etc.

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
I PMed you Laur. :)

And thanks everyone for the info. I guess I got the wrong information online about Shilohs and GSDs.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Just wanted to echo what Dan was saying about their working ability.

My friend's SAR shepherd is not a shiloh. She is 110 lbs lean, which is huge especially for a female. And a really big hindrance when out in the field. She works well, but she gets overheated/worn out much faster than the smaller dogs when out on a search. Also, if she were to get injured my friend would have to carry out a 110 lb dog instead of a 65 lb dog. Big difference.

Anway, they were taking her out once and ran into someone with three shilohs. Oh my gosh. They were half pony or something. They made Willow look like a scrawny little runt. They were, like someone else said earlier, moving in slow motion. They really reminded me of newfs in their demeanor, size, and plodding around-ness. I don't know how close in temperament the two really are, but that was just my impression. But yeah...I can't think of anything really athletic a dog like a shiloh could do with much stamina. Maybe carting if you had one with sound joints. Definitely not a jogging/flyball/sch/SAR/bomb detection/hunting/herding prospect. But a lovely companion for someone who likes a lot of coat and size.

I agree, shilo's sound absolutely great on paper. But my dogs don't live on paper. If you fall for they hype you'll most likely be severly disappointed. I'm sure a few make great pets, but it is an absolute disgrace that they are even compared to a GSD, they are NOT even close to the same. And if they were, we'd be comparing other dog breeds to Shilo's not the other way around. and yes,politics are abound in that little circle.
:hail:. Shiloh Shepherds and GSD's cant even be compared. One's a couch potato and the other..well...isnt. It pisses me off when people use the term "old school" german shepherds. There is NO TIME in history when the GSD was bred for that size (well at least not by the people who actually cared about the working standard), but then you go out and everyone has to comment about how small your REAL GSD is and isnt a pure breed because of his sable coloring, and how they are supposed to be mellow dogs and blah blah blah it drives me INSANE. Please DO NOT compare Shiloh's or "old fashioned" driveless monsters to a REAL GSD, it gives people misconceptions about the breed and people need to understand a GSD is NOT an easy going couch potato, then NEED to work.

/rant

Members online