I need some tips for relocating with a dog

Tobysmom

It looks like Toby and I are moving. I've never moved with him before. What are some things I can do to get him settled in the new house?

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Well, welcome back, Toby and Toby's Mom! :D

I can't offer any suggestions as Ive not done it, but look forward to what others have to say as we are going to do so within the next few months!

How are things going? Got any new pics of you-know-who? ;)

krisykris

When I read Caesar Milan's book he said that when moving you should take the dog for a long walk around the new neighborhood to get them accustomed to new sights sounds and smells before you let them into your home.
Other than that I don't have many suggestions, maybe just keep things he's familiar with close to him so that he isn't scared.

AND he is SO SO CUTE!

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
I didn't own Cider till we moved. And I didn't know much about dogs. She was depressed for a while, but I think on top of moving from an apt to a house, she also lost her 'daddy' since my ex and I broke up, and my roomate that had owned her till then decided she no longer cared, so in our case it was a major life shuffle.

I got her used to a small area of the house and gradually gave more space, but we didn't do anything major to accustom her to the change.

shazbot

not so newby
I recently made a huge move across county with my babies. I made sure they I did my best to keep the routine the same, feed the same times, take them out at a certain time etc. I also made sure that they had their favorite toys and beds so they felt at home. One thing I didn't do and wish I had is take along bottled water from the old area. The new water upset their tummies. My guys have sensitive tummies though. The very first thing I did was get new ID tags with a local phone number and address. I took them on several walks a day, in different areas of the neighbor so if some how they were able to get out it will be familiar to them. For the first week I went out in the yard even when it was just a potty break to make sure that they were ok. My immediate neighbor who is extemely nice and loves dogs got to meet them so if for some reason I couldn't make it home she could come in and let them potty and feed them if need be. (I'm only ok with her because my most timid dog walked right up to her and was fine. Very unusual for her to do that, and the dog that she has right now is her baby she spoils her pup more than I do mine :) ) Other than that there wasn't much more that I did. They all settled in really nice and pretty quick.

None of my animals has ever cared that we moved, as long as they were with me. I made sure, though, to take them back and forth with me on several of the moving trips so they'd know they weren't being left and didn't get anxious.

I also shampooed the carpet and cleaned the floors of the new place really well, just to avoid any marking over of territory.

mctraill

We just moved with our dog, we took her to the house first before we moved in to let her have a good sniff around. When we moved in we put her crate in our bedroom where she slept in it for a while. When letting her out in the garden we went with her for a while as well. We also would put her on her leash and just sit on the front so she could see everyone and everything going on. We would also walk her at different times through the subdivison, again so she could have a good sniff around and become familair. She has settled in well, and now loves her new home especially her nice new very, very large garden.
Good luck with the move, hope it goes well.

I made sure to keep the same bedding I had been using in his crate make sure he felt at home.

I also made sure he understood he was to do his business in the back yard. Which was easy since he goes on command.

Other than that and walking around the neighbor hood not much else was needed, and we where moving from an apartment to a big house with his own yard so he loves it.

bubbatd

I did have problem with marking when I moved here . It was a very quick move , and my IB was having seizures due to a brain tumor . My poor Bubba was so very confused and marked over hers for the first time . Stress caused diarrhea with both . Wasn't a fun time for any of us . You'll do fine . Also , if you do have an accident , my vet said Bubba also probably wanted to leave his scent so I could find him . It was all my fault for such a fast move . But I couldn't help it .

don't know if that helps but
i moved and traveled a lot since i got baily and it never was a problem for him.
it looks like he is comfortable anywhere as long as i am around, so its not necessarily stress for a dog.....

I've done it a billion times.

As long as the new place you're moving to it dog approved, and you have an agreement, then I woulnd't worry about that part.

Keep your dog ON LEASH everywhere. The first thing you should unload are his food bowls, beds, crate, toys, etc.

As long as you're tehre with him, I don't think there'll be a problem. He will mimick you, and your emotions. Act like there's nothing new going on, and he will too.

PS..Your dog is ADORABLE

Members online

No members online now.