Dog Competing with my Husband

Nevaeh

Okay so we have had Luke my 2 year old beagle for about a year now. We have been noticing strange behaveor for a while now. He is always by my side, he gets mad when me and my husband hug or kiss. Tonight he peed in my bed. My Husband and i were in bed watching tv and he got up to get a drink and the dog jumped up and peed right there in the bed. My husband got so upset. now this is not the first time this has happened my husband and and I have discussed this and we believe that he is protecting me and thinks i am his woman. he does tend to have aggresion twoards men but whenever I have female company he is fine. Im just not sure what to do anymore since this is not the first time and my husband does not want to compete with the dog he wants to give him up. please help with any suggestions you may have.
Thanks, Megan

3furkids

I would guess that he is protecting his resource ~ YOU!

How about your hubby gives you attention and you immediately give Luke a reward and verbal praise if he doesn't interefere. Maybe put Luke in a down-stay or sit-stay first.

Do you use NILIF?

How is Luke when he's with your husband 1 on 1? - or do they spend time together without you at all? If not, maybe having them spending some time together without you and 'bonding' will lesson Luke's need to 'protect' you. Just a thought.

Andrew

EliNHunter

His peeing on the bed where your husband was is him marking his territory. I would suggest your husband spending one on one quality time with him -- ALOT. But if your husband wants to get rid of him, he probably senses that too. It would need to be sincere. Do you think your husband's up for that?

You've gotten some stellar advice. Your husband just needs to bond with him, doing "man" things with him like playing ball. A great thing for your husband to do would be to be the one who gives him mega treats like a raw bone.

And a very, very simple thing is for your husband to give your dog the last bite of food from his plate. Only your husband - not you. You've already got a strong bond with the little fella and this is a strong bonding tool.

Nevaeh

I have been reading all of your thoughts on this and i do have to say that Luke spends more time with my Husband than he does with me. Normally i am at work from 6am -5pm but my hubby works at home so he is there all day. We have started to not give him scraps because he is getting a little chunky but like most beagles they will do anything for food but i also wanted to say that my husband is the one to feed him so im not sure the food idea would work either. I just am at my whits end so, i started putting him i his cage when it's time for bed. normally he sleeps with me on the bed until my husband comes to bed and then he goes in his cage. im not sure if this will work but im willing to try anything.
Thanks, Meg

Just being with your husband isn't enough. Does your husband pay good attention to him, playing with him, being affectionate, etc.?

It's not uncommon for dogs to bond more closely to one family member than the other, but you can even things out a bit with some work.

That's a good idea you've got - putting him in his crate yourself before your husband comes to bed. I'm sure your pup would much rather be sleeping on the bed with you, and he probably resents your husband putting him off of the comfy bed and into the cage.

S

Stanna

Hiyas Nevaeh :)

From what I can tell, your dog's retesting his position in the pack :). Pretty normal for him to do at that age. I bet he was probably a handfull when he was entering his teens, too.

All the advice here has been pretty good , and I'll put in my two cents if you don't mind. I have a very bossy puppy who's still earning his couch space, too.

First, i'd suggest you both follow the nilif system and the advice folks have been giving. He may not growl at you, but that could mean he only tolerates you , loves you, adores you, not that he respects your position in the pack.

I would not let him sleep on the bed or couch at all, until he has earned those spots by being a well behaved member of the family. You are sending him the message that his current behavior is acceptable, and even encouraged by granting him high status.

Your husband may spend alot of time with him, but again, it's not just about emotional bonding...he has to respect your husband as being trustworthy over him. Now, make sure you both understand this is not a physical battle to see who's king of the hill. We have big brains, as humans, so a battle of wits suits us much better.

Few habits we follow with mr. puppy who wants to be king:

Eat before you feed him. The advice above of giving him the last bite is good. But it HAS to be the LAST bite ONLY. No scraps while you eat. The reason for this is that to dogs, the boss eats first. Then the rest eat. Also, the boss provides for the pack, so physically feeding him AFTER you two eat makes him associate it more as you providing for him than you pampering him. When you go to feed him, fill his little bowl up as usual, and eat a little snack before giving it to him. A cracker, anything. Once you are satisfied (or atleast, so he thinks), give him his food. This is the same as above in theory, just taking advantage of another situation you can do this in.

Walk him! Have your husband take him out to the hunt. It's important you keep control though. If he pulls or tries to set the path, it's back to obedience training.

Exit and enter door ways first. Basically you are making sure the area is safe.

Play, groom, petting...all on your terms. You should initiate and end all cases. If he walks up to you with a toy, or snuggles for petting...it's easy to give in. If you must, ask him to sit or down first, then pet/play as a reward. Since he's already showing a few bad signs of dominance, i'd suggest leaving this for later. for now just ignore his demands but don't stop playing or petting etc. Just make sure you guys initiate it.

And the best and most positive way to establish leadership anyone can do, is training. It's never over, a great way to bond, keeps your pet attentive to you and develops alot of trust between everyone. Even if he knows all the commands etc, it's more of a lifestyle than a seminar. I can't emphasize what a huge difference it can make in the relationship between your husband and dog if they do some obedience training together , and practice a bit every day. We've just started clicker training for the first time, and the dogs love it. The are constantly looking to do 'good' things that will get them that click.

Well, there is lots more you can try, but my post is getting way long already. Most of these methods are layed out in a lot of books, but the 'dog listener' is the one I most recently read and got these particular suggestions from (i think). Don't give up, and most importantly encourage your husband to be more positive, too. It can be very frustrating when your 'pet' doesn't seem to like you. Give them some space to establish a relationship, and hope for the best. Stay calm and keep that heart beat steady when dealing with Luke. Leaders of the pack are always calm and collected. Panicky dogs are usually insecure. In a few weeks things can really turn around and you'll have to pry Luke from your husband's grasp. Good luck! -adri

Nevaeh

Can anyone tell me more about NILF?
I havent ever heard of it?
and thanks stanna for all your suggestions.
~Meg

S

Stanna

Nilif

Nilif stands for 'nothing in life is free'.

I did a google search and here is the first hit i got. You might want to do a few more searches.

http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm

Oh, i did forget to mention that you may have to keep Luke on a leash for a while. Mostly to keep him from jumping on the couch or bed. You don't want to go after him 'after' he's on the bed, and physically remove him. If he does get on there, try to lure him out with a treat or such, rather than physical confrontation. If he already knows 'off' or another similar command, even better :). We don't want him to think there's a fight going on.

Nevaeh

thanks so much for all your help I am going to try a few things with my husband and see what happens.
:)

Members online

No members online now.