My dog isnt coming to me today !

Dobepip

I have a 5 months Doberman Pinscher, he usually comes when I call him to come, but today he isnt coming to me, I always give him a treat when he comes. Today I have to put the treat down, he sees the treat & he comes then he leaves me, I call call call but no use. What can I do ??

bubbatd

Go back to the leash and come command.....praise but no food . Some dogs are only food minded. Do this several times and then the treat. He's training you !!!

Doberluv

The main caution that I always stress and it's really important is: Don't ever call your dog to come...don't use the command UNLESS you can be positive that he will come or that you can enforce it. Your calling and calling him has taught him that he doesn't have to come when he's called. Like bubbatd said, go back to the leash. If he's not on the leash, don't use the "come" command. Entice him with craziness, fun, silly, play, running the other way, hiding behind a tree making squeeling noises. Then when he comes and he's running toward you, squat down with your arms open, giggling with fun and when he is 2 steps away and OBVIOUSLY coming, say, "COME" and then praise him..."gooooooooood come!" And DO give him a super wonderful treat...not some dried up dog biscuit. Use something he LOVES....cheese, homemade treats, a piece of meat. Otherwise, practice with a long line....do the same thing. You can help him to come with that, but still make it fun. Make coming to you better than anything else he's interested in at the time. Get it to be a habit. It will take a really long time and a lot of training until you can trust him to come every time, reliably.

oriondw

user not active
Dont worry :p My dog wouldnt come to me for the life of it when he's offleash :p

Not when he was a puppy, not when he is 2 years old.

Good advice in post above.

Only use "come" when you are sure the dog is going to come :).

I like to use a reaaaaallly long leash to train come command.

maui

Doberluv said:
The main caution that I always stress and it's really important is: Don't ever call your dog to come...don't use the command UNLESS you can be positive that he will come or that you can enforce it. Your calling and calling him has taught him that he doesn't have to come when he's called. Like bubbatd said, go back to the leash. If he's not on the leash, don't use the "come" command. Entice him with craziness, fun, silly, play, running the other way, hiding behind a tree making squeeling noises. Then when he comes and he's running toward you, squat down with your arms open, giggling with fun and when he is 2 steps away and OBVIOUSLY coming, say, "COME" and then praise him..."gooooooooood come!" And DO give him a super wonderful treat...not some dried up dog biscuit. Use something he LOVES....cheese, homemade treats, a piece of meat. Otherwise, practice with a long line....do the same thing. You can help him to come with that, but still make it fun. Make coming to you better than anything else he's interested in at the time. Get it to be a habit. It will take a really long time and a lot of training until you can trust him to come every time, reliably.
This is exactly what we do too! And, we can see it working magic, slowly but surely. Wish it could happen overnight but some things take time.

mrose_s

BusterLove
yes,, i love teaching buster new stuff. at the moment he is learning "stand" and "rollover", he just mastered "spin" but he has some dog aggression issues thats my real challenge

Dobepip

Thanks for your advice.

Everything is ok now, he comes to me as usual.

He only knows the command 'sit', now I want him to learn to lie but how can I do that ?? He seems doesnt understand when I tell him to lie.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
show him a treat and then slowly lower it to the floor. My Mack will follow it down with his nose and then sometimes I will gently touch his shoulders and he will go all the way down. Then the second his whole chest touches the floor I click my clicker and I give give him the treat. If you don't click train, then just say "lie down" or "lay" or whatever you use the second his chest hits the floor and give him the treat and praise. That way he will know exactly what "lie down" or "lay" means. So after he's done it a few times once you say whatever word you are using he will know what he is suppose to do.

Dobepip

juliefurry said:
show him a treat and then slowly lower it to the floor. My Mack will follow it down with his nose and then sometimes I will gently touch his shoulders and he will go all the way down. Then the second his whole chest touches the floor I click my clicker and I give give him the treat. If you don't click train, then just say "lie down" or "lay" or whatever you use the second his chest hits the floor and give him the treat and praise. That way he will know exactly what "lie down" or "lay" means. So after he's done it a few times once you say whatever word you are using he will know what he is suppose to do.

I've tried that but he only sit & wait.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I don't know than. Sorry. Maybe if you pulled his legs down and put him in the laying position like that. That might work.

Martine

Trained by an Airedale
I used clicker training too for Misha, but she wouldn't be tempted down, she is a stubborn girl. I just had to get her attention, then hang around until she got bored then when she lay down, click and treat. It took a lot of patience and at first she was so reluctant, but she slowly started doing it. Weeks more of practice and now she is doing it for a treat, next aim is for her to do it just for praise. Good luck!

Members online

No members online now.