Cricket's poor hurty paw

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Her foot has been airing out all day and I just shaved off around the area. It's still inflamed, but it actually looks better than yesterday. One of my coworkers said she thinks she has some leftover antibiotics from one of her foster dogs. She is going to look for it and I just want to double check with my vet to see if that antibiotic would work and what the proper dosage would be for her. She still is obsessing over wanting to try to bite at her paws anytime I take her elizabethan collar off temporarily for walks. She refuses to potty with it on though for some reason but it goes right back on when we get inside.

Updated pics... Ignore her toenails... They really need to be clipped

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Her foot has been airing out all day and I just shaved off around the area. It's still inflamed, but it actually looks better than yesterday. One of my coworkers said she thinks she has some leftover antibiotics from one of her foster dogs. She is going to look for it and I just want to double check with my vet to see if that antibiotic would work and what the proper dosage would be for her. She still is obsessing over wanting to try to bite at her paws anytime I take her elizabethan collar off temporarily for walks. She refuses to potty with it on though for some reason but it goes right back on when we get inside.
Antibiotics don't have a long shelf life, at all. Especially after they've been mixed.

ie: Amoxicillin has a 14 day shelf life once mixed. And that's even pushing it.

yoko

It's still pretty bad looking it looks really swollen *could just be the pics* but at least it isn't as oozy looking as it was.

S

SevenSins

I would shave just a little higher up the front of the paw based on those pics (I try to shave enough that I can see a good portion of clear margins all the way around). The amount of swelling right now probably has a lot to do with the irritation from shaving and should hopefully go down soon once she's completely kept away from licking and biting at it and so long as it's dry.

As for antibiotics: http://www.terrierman.com/antibiotics.htm

RD

Are you dead yet?
Her nails aren't even bad, lol
lol, this! Her nails look so much better than my dog's!

Does she get any chance at all to lick it when she's got the collar off, or do you have control of her head in some way?

Did she have a grass/grass flea allergy when she was younger? I wonder if it's manifesting itself in a different way, now.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
lol, this! Her nails look so much better than my dog's!

Does she get any chance at all to lick it when she's got the collar off, or do you have control of her head in some way?

Did she have a grass/grass flea allergy when she was younger? I wonder if it's manifesting itself in a different way, now.
LOL I think I'm just used to her nails being a little shorter lol. I've been using her gentle leader for walks so I can keep her from licking/biting her feet on walks. The first couple times I took her out I just used a flat collar and she kept pulling her head down to try and get her paws. She still tries a little with the GL but I have more control and she hasn't had any success with it. Just a little bit ago she decided to stretch out really good and when she was stretched out she tried to drag the top of her foot on the carpet so I'm sure its still a bit itchy.

I do know when she was a puppy she used to get red rashes on her belly a lot. I think if you browse through posts back then I have a thread or two about it. I wondered if it was an allergy then too since she used to lay in the grass a lot.

I can't afford it right now, but I'd like to save some money and eventually have some tests run to pin point any possible allergies since I'm pretty positive that is what's going on.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Poor Cricket- that looks so painful! It definitely looks less goopy in the second set of pictures. If I were you, I would still take her to the vet- the area looks swollen and possibly infected. I hope you can find a way to get her there!

ACooper

Plain old corn starch from your cupboard! In my experience, corn starch works better and faster drying than baby powder or body powders in general. (changed lots of baby butts in my day, ROFL) Plus, you know it's safe for her to lick if she gets to it :)

It does look better than it did. I'd keep doing whatcha been doing, and seriously try a bit of corn starch sprinkled on to keep it drying out.

Members online

No members online now.