Dog bites/scars?

Brattina88

Have you ever been bit by a dog? What happened/ How serious (stiches, deep, bad bruising, etc)? About how long did it take to heal? And do your old scars still randomly hurt? Or when did it stop hurting?

:D Thanks!

Pops2

yes, several times. don't stitch dog bites more likely to go septic. about a week. and yes.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I don't have any terrible dog bites but I do have a line of teeth marks on the back of my right hand that perfectly outline a sheltie jaw. I have a non related dog injury though on my hand that hurts all the time. The worst is when I accidentally hit it on something, it'll shoot a really severe pain up my arm and will cause my hand to spasm.

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
I was walking a pit bull down the aisle of dog cages at the shelter to put him out in the yard to visit with a lady and her baby... we made it ALLLL the way to the end and in the last kennel were the two craziest (totally undersocialized) Rotts I've ever met (all pack mentality - once we had room to seperate them, the one was an angel...)... my left leg went forward as my right arm went forward to push the door open, JUST as Tank went across from my left towards the kennel on the right, and he got my kneecap... it felt like my knee was in a vice grip, and it only lasted .5 seconds! As soon as Tank realized he had my knee, not the Rotts' faces, he let go and was all sad when I took him out in the yard. Never held a grudge, he was a WONDERFUL dog... that being said, it didn't really break the skin (I think it rubbing against my jeans was what made it eventually start bleeding?) but I've STILL got some darker pigmentation where his teeth connected, and it was about a year ago!

Worst injuries I've had have actually been from dogs coming into the vet to get their nails trimmed and scratching me :) Novel over...

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Moo 2x my hands. Mid dog fight stupidly putting my hands in to break it up he lashed out in blind panic. Right hand was bitten on both occasions, multiple canine punctures. Deepest one mid palm sometimes randomly hurts and it's been 6+ months since the 2nd time. Year+ since the first.

Romy

Taxiderpy
The only dog bite that broke my skin was when we were fostering Tengu. I was slicing some beef cheeks and she crept up behind me and bit my hand real hard. It was covered in cow blood, I'm pretty sure she thought it was a hunk of meat because she was mortified when she realized she had bitten me.

Because of the animal blood and it being a puncture, I soaked it in really hot epsom salt water several times a day for the next week. It healed up nicely with no problems at all.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I had a rottweiler bite me on the back of the thigh at the shelter. many stitches.. deep wounds

he grabbed a hold and shook his head and some smarty tried pulling him off by pulling on the dogs back legs.. causing him to bite down harder and shake his head around...

it was awful. I still have a scar.. it kind of looks like in the shake you would expect a shark bite to look like lol like an ovalish thing

The scar never hurts at all unless I think about when it happens, but I think thats a mental thing

Saeleofu

I was bit once when I was a little kid when I was playing in the dog food. Total accident, she thought my toe was food lol. No stitches, healed quickly, minimal pain. I do have a teeny tiny scar still.

Then a few years back shortly after I started working at the vet clinic I got bit when I went to go weigh a dog. I turned the scale on, turned around, and SNAP. But my lip through and tore it about 2 inches. I didn't even know she actually bit me until I saw blood drip on the floor - I thought she just rammed her head into me. Of course Doc made me go to the ER, and it took 40+ stitches in the inside of my lip, my gums, and the outside of my lip. Never hurt even a bit, was just numb forever. Took 5 days to get the stitches out. Healed wonderfully. I do have a scar, but it's a small one. I can feel it more on the inside of my lip, because there's a mass of scar tissue within the lip, but you can't see more than a thin line on the outside.

I also was bit by a cat in my index and middle fingers and I have scars there, but it's not very noticeable. No stitches for that one, didn't even go to the doctor, but I did use some old antibiotics I had left (I know you're not supposed to have leftover antibiotics, but I did lol).

None of my scars ever hurt.

elegy

overdogged
not that required medical treatment.

but i had a cat bite get very ugly- my whole forearm was red, hot, and swollen and i had started antibiotics almost right away.

michaelf

Bit by a springer in groom school over a tiny knot, bit by a pug over eye drops, bit by a beagle over nails on my palm. That one lasted, very achy for a while. Bit by a cat over HV. dryer.
Cat bite = springer, pug, beagle put together.

joce

I've been bit but never bad enough to really scar and I forget about it soon after. Its always been smaller dogs that would have to attack in a pack of thirty to really hurt me anyway!

My oh so well behaved corgi bit me today while I tried to do her nails:rolleyes: I know she was trying to chew on the clippers like she always does and I should have had someone help me with her squirmy self but no one was around and they needed done! Just feels kinda owie.

Brattina88

I do have a scar on my knee from scratch. That one was a pain to heal because I kept ripping the scab open from moving my legs lol

I have a scar on my right hand, right about my wrist. It (now) looks like a single tooth mark. Its from when Maddie got her eye injury - I somehow got that dog off of her and pinned to the ground, and that was my only injury. She had my whole wrist in her mouth and shook, but I'd had an adrenaline rush and somehow got myself out of it, got Maddie in the house, and left her outside. My scars are nothing compared to what Maddie has to live with, but it only seems to hurt when the weather is super crappy (thunderstorms or tornado warning). People think I'm crazy when I say that.

My other scars are within the last year. Both forearms, just above the wrists were ripped open. The right arm bleed pretty good, the left arm bruised really bad - and although the punctures didn't look as bad, the left arm hurt/hurts the worst. I have a scar on the right, but its like nothing now. The bruising and swelling on the left took at least a month to go down. I went to the dr because of the swelling, it made me nervous - I didn't want any permanent damage. Was put on antibiotics :rolleyes:
It still hurts, and I don't have the strength in that arm that I used to. Trying to use but not overuse so I can get that strength back. But sometimes it still HURTS sharp, shooting pain, even when I'm not using it.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
When I was 3 or 4, I was but on the lip by a lab. I had to go to the ER to have stitches, and I can't remember much else about it. My scar is still visable, but you only notice it up close and if you're really looking for it.

Brattina88

When I was 3 or 4, I was but on the lip by a lab. I had to go to the ER to have stitches, and I can't remember much else about it. My scar is still visable, but you only notice it up close and if you're really looking for it.
when I was 4 I was bit by a turtle on the (upper)lip. I have a scar from that :rofl1::rofl1:

I don't remember it, but it makes for funny family stories during family reunions

Toller_08

Yep, I've been bitten a few times. All were completely accidental though, and none required stitches. The first time I was handing out cookies to the Dobes I was dog-sitting, and one 6 month old puppy got a bit overzealous and grabbed my finger with the cookie which resulted in a small puncture. Another time I was bitten by a Yorkie/Dachshund mix whose nails were being dremeled and she decided that she'd had enough of that -- she's a very poorly tempered dog, with hardly any structure, and feels she can get away with biting and throwing tantrums. The last time was just a few weeks ago when I had to break up a fight between Ripley and his brother. In the process one of the pups accidentally bit my wrist somehow, which resulted in a few incredibly painful punctures. I don't have a scar from any of the incidents though.

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
Two scars from bites in my 13 yrs as a vet tech:

Poor scared Springer Spaniel escaped from owners as they were bringing him in for boarding. I see her running back and forth across 6 lanes of busy traffic, so when she makes a pass by me, I decide grab her and hold on, not caring if I'd get bitten (I was 18). Of course, I didn't plan on it being my face. She bit through my cheek with a canine tooth and held her grip for 2 blocks while I carried her back to the clinic. When I walked towards her owners, she released and ran to them. I now have an inch long scar on my cheek, but not real damage from it.

Bite two was pretty tragic, but not as much for me. A couple brought in their old cat who was having a seizure. The doctor wanted to get blood to run some tests and I was trying to restrain the cat. Well, it made a wild flail, then bit through my knuckle and then died on my finger! The owners were frantic because their cat had just died, not realizing that it was attached to my finger. The doctor saw this and promptly removed it and I left the room to stifle my scream. I have a nice scar and dented knuckle with arthritis from that one!

ACooper

Same here.....I was around 4-5 and it was my gram's dog. Bit me on the left/top lip, stitches, small scar you can see if you are looking for it.

It obviously didn't do anything to keep me away from dogs though did it? Or you either Jessie, LOL!

Doberluv

I was bitten very badly a few years ago. I won't go into the whole, long story, because my posts are long enough as it is, but suffice it to say that the dog was violent and ravaged my face, neck, throat, wrists, forearms and hands from the top of a fence, belive it or not. She wanted to kill me. I had stitches in my chin and a few large holes in my neck. I risked the higher chance of infection to lessen the scar. It was an emergency room visit because I was bleeding very badly (the outside of the car looked like an axe murder had taken place) And then to the reconstructive surgeon to fix my chin. I still have a scar there, but it's not too deep. I need wood putty to mix with my make-up and I'm good to go. LOL.

I don't remember how long it took to heal up....maybe a couple of weeks, constant re-bandaging and cleaning etc. The puncture wounds that were deep were very painful and so was my chinny chin chin.

That dog went after the animal control officer too when he went to their house.

Zhucca

Lab Love
I have never been bitten badly. The only bite that sticks out was 3 months into my daycare job. I was running around playing with around 7 dogs and a great dane got too excited and nipped me under neath my armpit. He made a shallow rip a centimetre long. The weird thing is is that he didn't even rip my shirt when he did it.

Otherwise I have never been injured.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
Hmm, lets see. I was bitten three times by our old chessie - two of the times were due to food aggression, and the third time was because I rubbed his ear too hard and it hurt, so he bit my hand. No scars from those.

I've been mouthed a lot. Some memorable mouthings are the hound pup that tried to rip my coat off, and the Neapolitan Mastiff who mouthed my arm and left a mouth-shaped bruise on it for a week. And there was the little mixed dog, I swear she had bull terrier in her somewhere, who bit me over a toy. She was INSANELY toy driven, and I reached down to pick up a toy that was near the toy she was chewing on, and CHOMP. But it didn't break the skin.

There was the APBT mix who, when we were playing with the flirt pole, tried to bite the pole and got a full bite on my arm instead. He released right away when he realized, and looked completely ashamed of himself. That didn't break skin either. There was a boxer mix who bit my finger. I did a dumb thing, and rested my hand on the door of her run while waiting for someone to finish getting a dog out, and she was riled up by the commotion and jumped up and bit the tip of my finger. It hurt like a &*!@#$ and bled just as bad!

There was the APBT mix who got me pretty good on the leg. I did a dumb thing here too, and let him out loose into the middle of the runs, instead of getting my sliplead on him first. He was already riled up from stressing in his kennel, and the noise in the kennels riled him up further, PLUS he started fence fighting with another dog, began mouthing me (it was also some redirection too), and it just escalated. Got a good bite on my leg, and I have a small scar from it. He's really quite a nice dog, as long as you don't do stupid things like I did.

Members online

No members online now.