How much does pet cremation usually cost?

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I didn't want to derail the thread about whether or not you would keep the ashes, etc... but I'm curious.

I've never had any of my pets cremated in the past. All the pets that we've had growing up that my parents have had euthanized, they just left the body there and I have no idea what happened afterwards.

I'm not willing to do that with my dogs. Hopefully it will be a LOOOOOONNNNNGGGGG time coming before I ever am faced with something like this, but I'd like to have a little money set aside so that when the time does come I can pay for a private cremation and keep the ashes.

So here's my question... how much does a private cremation usually cost? How much for a mass cremation? I'm sure the price varies from place to place, but I'm just curious what a general ballpark price would be.

Bigpoodleperson

Megan and Draco
It depends on the weight. For a general cremation at my clinic (not ashes back) it is like 100-150$-ish. For a private cremation (ashes back) it varies from 200-300$. We use a wonderful company that picks the pets up and cremates them at their facility then gives the ashes back to us. We do not do it at my clinic, and noone is our area does either.

Last edited:

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
I haven't had to do this with a large pet, but I've had cremation services done with a couple rats and a sugar glider. I think it was about $80 for each of them... maybe more for Penn (suggie) because we actually had him returned to us in a nice wood box. I'm sure that larger animals would cost more, but how much I just don't know.

That said, I think it also depends on where you are. I am pretty sure that our vet offers a discount for cremation services (even though cremation is a private company) if the pet has been a regular client at the clinic. However, I still don't know what the prices are for cats/dogs, and like you... I hope I don't have to find out anytime soon...

elegy

overdogged
Our prices are similar to what bigpoodleperson posted. We also send them out. We didn't when I first started working there, but then the chimney of the crematorium fell down, and the decision was made to send them out. They are done much more promptly now, and the ashes come back in nice wooden boxes.

Bigpoodleperson

Megan and Draco
Also keep in mind these are just the cremation costs. It doesnt include (for us at least) the doctors time, sedation, euthanasia costs.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Ronin's cremation was private, and it cost me $225. They were nice and rounded down his weight, so he could have the "up to 74lb" price instead of the "over 75lb" price. He came home in a cheap (but nice) plastic box and a little gold charm that they include with every private cremation. (It's a broken heart - one piece is with you, the other piece is in the bag with the cremains.)

He was cremated at LovingRest, and I drove him there myself. LovingRest also picks up from local vet clinics, as they're the only crematory in the area that does pets. I'm not sure how much their mass fees are, as I'd never do a mass cremation with my own pets.

AliciaD

On second thought...
With my cat it was $75 to get Figaro back.

It would only have been $25 if I didn't want the ashes back.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Maggie's was $190 and she came back to me in a wooden box. The specialty clinic uses a local service so I picked her up at their place instead of going back to the vets', which was helpful as I don't think I could've stepped thru those doors without crying so soon after.

Saeleofu

Here it's in the $250 runge for private cremation with ashes returned if you go with the pet cremation people. The humane society does private cremations too for less. Nass cremation without ashes returend is around $20 - we call animal control, baag the animal, and put them outside the door for AC to pick up- sometimes they come with hours, sometimes days...once well over a week. There's no way I could do that with my dog.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I know that here, for euthanasia alone, for a ferret we pay $76.14. I *think*, if I remember correctly, I paid another $25 on top of that for a mass cremation for Rogue.

I think it must depend on the area. I've only ever had 3 animals cremated... and I have never spent over $150. Two of them have been Collies and one of them was a cat.

The last time I had a dog cremated (which was just this past April), it was only $96 to have him cremated (never used these people before so I was expecting them to be more expensive), which included a wood box that his ashes came back to me in. Eventually I'll get him a nicer box with a name plate on it. The large Male Collie (Bart) that I had cremated probably 6-7 yrs ago was about $150, that was up in Ohio.

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
For Bella, a private cremation was $180. And they "checked her in" to get me the price at 90lbs. I was honestly REALLY surprised at the fee. And they took payments too, which I don't know if that's a regular thing, or a "pitty the poor high school student who's saying goodbye to her best friend at a young age" thing.

That said -- mine was done through a cremation place, not a vet's office...? It's called the "Pet Funeral Home" and they had their own place, and even offered pick up...? Do other people have those type places?

Saeleofu

Ours are all done through the pet cremation place, HS or AC. We do not cremate pets at the clinic. Some vets do, though.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
We use the Veterinary Hospitals Association, which may or may not be just a MN thing.... they come like once or twice a week, take the bodies from the freezer, and cremate them at their facility.

gretchen

It typically depends on the dogs weight. Regular sized labs are going to run you around 200-250 and then add in additional expenses if you purchase an urn, etc. from the vet.

Paviche

Duuuuude.
I believe I paid about $125 last September for a private cremation for a 15 lb dog, with the ashes returned.

With small dogs we usually pay 150$ (We have the ashes on 6 small dogs), but Lucy the chihuahua weighed less than 2 pounds, so they only charged 60$ which is their small animal price.

I have never had a large dog done, so don't know what they would charge here for a big dog.

Members online

No members online now.