HIP issues?

Back40

My daughter's 1yr old border collie/lab mix (Noah) has begun to limp on 3 separate occassions favoring his left hind leg not placing any weight on it. This usually occurrs after hard play(quick turns associated with games of chase) but sometimes after having jumped up into a vehicle(My daughter has a deficult time lifting his 54lbs). After a day or so he recovers and returns to normal activity. I have just begun to research symptoms of hip dysplasia. He currently uses a dog door in a window by jumping up on a platform about 16 inches high both inside and outside. He stands about about 20 inches at the shoulder and is very athletic. What type of activity should we avoid? What type of treatment other than surgery? I plan on taking him to our vet soon to have his condition diagnosed. Thanks for your feedback!

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Until you can get him checked out and see if it's a ligament problem or a joint on, I'd try to avoid him doing anything you just listed. Jumping, quick turns...all of that will aggravate any sort of injury/problem.

I hope it's something easily treatable! Unfortunetly, many problems do require surgery to fix. Some however, just require some rest.

yoko

not sure if it's true someone else might know better than me. but i didn't think you were suppose to let a dog do a lot of jumping/running quick turns and stuff like that until the're a certain age or it messes with their joints

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Hannah gets like that at times too. I give her glucosamine tablets now to try and help it and it seems to be helping a little. We thought about getting her an orthopedic bed as well.

showpug

Your dog needs x-rays so you know what you are dealing with. It could very well be a dysplastic hip. In the mean time, I would consider reading up on the link between vitamin C and hip dysplasia. Vitamin C can really do a lot of good in dogs with joint problems.

bubbatd

I'm with you Yoko. I always let pups do their own thing until around one year old . No over extending .

Members online

No members online now.