I really didn't want a cat... but

BeachBum

aka PretzelDog
what else am I supposed to do with the little thing?

I got up Sunday morning, and went to feed the three stray/feral cats that hang around my yard and there it was, a teensy tiny, shaking and starving, bag of bones. The three adult cats were not letting it get near the food so I new it wouldn't last long. It took me all day coaxing with food to get it to let me touch it and I finally got it into the house.

I'd say it's about five weeks old and other than starving it seems healthy enough, no discharges, peeing and pooping (in the litter box already... awww!) and is fairly active. It's been 20 years since I had a kitten, (PTS four years ago), so I'm a little rusty and have some questions.

I bought canned and dry Chicken Soup for kittens and Pine Fresh litter. Is there anything else I should be giving it? It's appetite is ravenous, how much should I let it eat?

Should I take it to the Vet now, or wait till it's old enough for shots. Can they have flea treatments and deworming at this age? I don't know if it has worms, I'm just assuming it probably does.

Also, I typed "it" throughout my post because I don't know what sex it is. I can't remember how to tell :)

It's name is "Mouse" because the way it was moving around hunched over it's back legs, reminded me of a kangaroo mouse.

Maxy24

I believe they can be wormed now, which is a good idea because the kitten may have trouble growing and gaining weight with worms stealing all his nutrients. I am not sure if a kitten this young can get flea medication, but maybe a bath would help some.
Generally people say to feed them as much as they want, but make sure to feed many small meals, the more the better for a kitten. I'd only restrict the amount if the cat start eating so much he vomits. I'd get him a scratching post so he learns right away to use it, and toys of course!

As for sexing, you can usually tell by the distance between the anus and their genitals. Males will have a large gap between them and females will have them close together. The female will also have a larger genital hole, more like a slit where the male's is more of a little dot.
These links might help:
http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/cliented/kittengender.aspx
http://www.pet-informed-veterinary-advice-online.com/sexing-kittens.html
http://www.petmd.com/cat/general-health/evr_ct_how_to_determine_the_sex_of_a_kitten#.T9YB5cXfOSo

Thank you for taking the little one in! Are the strays you feed spayed and neutered? If not there might be some trap-neuter-release programs that will help out with that. Keep us updated on how the little guy or gal does!

K

Kaydee

Aaaawwww G-d Bless Ya!!!! Of course you wanted a cat...just random thoughts...telling the gender is waiting until you see...ahem...balls...easy enough. As far as feeding I've always given our kittens-and there were many, many over the years-oatmeal gruel as a first food.

There's not really measurements but basically cooked cooled oatmeal, cow milk or kitten formula, a bit of water to thin it, and a bit of canned food to flavor it. Then put it down on a flat saucer and watch kitty make a mess stuffing itself.

My grown cats still like it as a comfort treat. It's probably not nutritionally correct but for a young kitten that could use some building up it works well and they love it!

BeachBum

aka PretzelDog
Thanks Maxy

I went ahead and made an appointment at the Vet for after work today. I would just worry too much if I waited.

I have been feeding frequent, small meals and a friend is going to go and feed Mouse at noon.

As for the strays/ferals, I've been trying to catch those wiley little buggers for months. I would at least like to get the female spayed, but she's the wildest of all. I phoned "Fixed Fur Life", they offer lots of advice and lend you a trap, but I didn't have any luck with that. Animal Control will not give you back the animals they trap and the Humane Society says they only have resources for stray dogs and animal abuse calls.

I tried not feeding them for a few days, but they still won't go in the trap, I must be doing something wrong or they are extra smart, or LOL, maybe just smarter than me.

Members online

No members online now.