Opinion needed

bean760

Opinion needed HELP

I have 2 beautiful german shepherds. Female is 7, and the male is 5 yrs. old.
We are being foreclosed on, and I am torn as to what to do with them.
We are looking into townhome's, most will only accept one dog, and they have weight restrictions.
Is it unfair of me to take them with us? Right now they have a huge fenced in yard they play and exercise in. To think I would need to tie them up everytime I let them out kills me.
I live in MN, and the winters are slippery and brutal at times. I am older and afraid I will fall or slip taking them on walks most days.
They have not been socialized with other animals, so dog parks would be out, unless leashed.
The male is extremely attached to me. The female may get along with another family with kids, once she bonds. The male would have a harder time, and does not do well with small kids. They make him nervous, even though he has been around them all his life, as I do daycare for my young grandchildren.
Would it be selfish to take them, or selfish to find other homes? It will break my heart either way, but like I said, my male especially is attached.
Any opinions, or advice would be so greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

lizzybeth727

Dogs can definately adapt to new living situations. It will probably be a lot easier on them to learn to go outside on a leash everytime, than to have to adapt to a completely new family. Plus it's EXTREMELY difficult to rehome a dog that's over 4 years old, unless you have a friend who will take them.

I'd suggest keeping them and making the transition as smooth for them as possible. If, after a few months, they still can't settle into their new home, you could try looking into rehoming options at that time.

I dont see the issue with a town house. I have a rough collie and a beagle and live in a town house. But offcourse i dont rely on a back yard as a source of excersise.

Get some ice picks for your shoes and walk them. I have no other advice. having unsocialized dogs is your fault and will be hard to rehome them if thats the case IMO.

Brattina88

From a foster POV I would say please try your hardest to keep them. Many rescues are full or close to full because of the economy and soo many in situations just like yours. It's hard on a dog to be bounced from owner to owner... as adaptable as they are... Shepherds are loyal to their families and I know they'd probably rather stay with you then move with someone else just for a yard. Walks are a lot better exercise, socialization, and stimulation then a fenced in yard anyway ;)

Lolas Dad

I don't see where a town house would have a weight restriction but I guess if their like an HOA then I guess they might. Being that you don't have a new place yet why not look into places that will allow two dogs. Think about them as part of your family. If you had kids living with you you would not give them up. Why give the dogs up?

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I agree with what's been said about you trying to keep them. My dog is super attached to me and I just can't ever imagine rehoming him. He recently moved from a 2 acre property where he could run around all day if he wanted to into a small apartment and he's a border collie. He's adapted really well to apartment life. He goes on walks every day. Would he have been happier if I had rehome him to someone with a big yard? More than likely not to be honest. He's much better off with me and I think in your case your dogs are much better off with you. You obviously love them or you wouldn't have come onto this forum to ask for advice about the situation... they are a part of your family... so I'd suggest looking really hard for a place that will allow both of the dogs.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Have you checked into home rentals, even renting the bottom part of a house where they would allow your dogs?

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
I agree that you should try to keep them. There have been situations in my life where I've had no choice but to rehome my dogs, and I regret the decision every day, and wish I could go back and change it. The fact that you haven't moved YET is helpful because you can still try to find a place that will take them. It won't be easy, but it WILL be worth it. Maybe even try searching out of town a little, even 5 or 10 miles could change a LOT as far as laws and restrictions go. Good luck, I'm pulling for you, and I hope everything will end up working out. :)

It can be done. One thing you'll find is dog people do alot to help out other dog people in need. Neighborhood kids sometimes are wishing for a dog of their own, but can't have one and would gladly help with walks and playtime. Other clubs may have members that are betwee dogs and would gladly take one of yours in for a temp situation and give them love and exercise in the winter. I know I and others in the area that have helped others in a similar situation. Contact vets and training schools schutzhund clubs etc, and see if they know someone that can help you. It won't be easy, but you can get thru it.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
This is a tough one because I know in some areas it can be next to impossible to find rental properties that will allow two large dogs but if you can find one take it. even if it means they go out on a tie out to go to the bathroom. (I don't walk my dogs either... they play in the yard and are perfectly happy with that). We used to live in a house where we had to take them out on leash to go and they survived. they were just happy to be with us that being on a tie out was not even a worry to them.

So if you can keep them both that would be ideal for both you and the dogs as I know you would miss them terribly and they would miss you.

but if you REALLY can't keep them you might want to try to find them a good home yourself before resorting to a shelter if you can.

Good luck. This is a tough situation.

Honestly, I can say, as a rescue person right now - it's unfair to put them in the shelter/rescue system.
Do what you can to make it work. Shepherds are devoted dogs and if you can make it work, they'll be better off. People are reluctant to adopt Sheps to begin with and especially ones over 3-4yrs. old, as mentioned.
Take them for long walks/jogs every AM and PM and they ought to be fine.

bean760

Just to make it clear, I do NOT plan to place them in a shelter........I would live in my car first. I understand that the shelter's are over crowded, and they would be hard to place.
I appreciate so much all the advice given here! I am working like crazy to find an affordable place to rent, where I can keep them both.

Jynx

I also would do what I had to do to try and keep them, at this age, they are most likely bonded to you and while GSD's are pretty adaptable, their age is working against them in finding them another home:( Everybody wants puppies, not older dogs.

If you do end up having to rehome them, I would look into a reputable GSD Rescue not a shelter where they most likely wouldn't have a chance at rehoming:(

They both will most likley be able to adapt to where ever YOU go, vs having to adapt to a new home with a new family.

Members online