Merrick Pet Food

J's crew

What do you guys think of Merrick Pet Food? I feed my dog that brand, do you think it is good for her?

I think it's an excellent food. I feed some canned Merrick in different flavors with all my dogs kibble. Great ingredients. :)

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I don't feed it, but I have heard it is a good food for the price. :)

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
the chis love it and the caned food looks good enough to put in a pie and eat myself!
qualities good, ingredients are great and whole dog journal ranks it real high! it also is generally well liked by typiclaly picky eaters

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I've heard good things about it and I've heard bad things. I know Mordy won't touch it, I think it has something to do with quality control issues.

dk666

I have used there Canned and treats was very happy with them The Canned stuff looks better and has better stuff in it then I buy for myself to eat :(

Herschel

I've heard good things about it and I've heard bad things. I know Mordy won't touch it, I think it has something to do with quality control issues.
I think its because the Merrick family owns a slaughterhouse. Anything that they don't use for human consumption gets thrown into a barrel and turned into pet food/treats.

I believe Mordy wasn't too impressed with their using pretty much anything that people couldn't eat for dogs.

sam

I don't think it's just a slaugherhouse; I think it's a "rendering plant" and that they pick up and process downer cattle not fit for human consumption- but I could be mistaken.
The ingredients *Look* good but I have very serious doubts about the sources and quality. I personally would not feed ANYTHING made by Merrick.
What is says on a label doesn't tell you anything about the sources and quality so you're really putting a LOT of faith in the company since it is completely legal to put complete crap in dog food. Just looks at what's ahppened with the recall! I'll stick to companies I know I can trust.

showpug

It is a rendering plant that the Merrick's own. Kind of fishy that their dog food plant is in the same location as their rendering plant :yikes:

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
I've heard good things about them but I wouldn't feed it, just because of the whole rendering plant thing and I question the sources of the ingredients as well.

J's crew

Geeez. I had never heard about that. Anyone have any links that back up the whole rendering plant subject? Or anything by Mordy? I need to do some more research, that's for sure!

showpug

Thanks! :)

Does anyone know of a good canned food that is comparable in texture to the Merrick? You know, the big chunks of chicken, with veggies and lots of juices or gravy? TIA.
Have you looked at Natural Balance Healthy Eatables? They are chunky and smell really good and the can even says that people can eat them too. They aren't very high in protein, but if you are just using canned as an "extra" then they work great. http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/eatables/home.html

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
I feed the Merrick's canned every now and then to Rumor. I fed the Merrick's dry about two years ago, and Duke just had a trail of liquid poo streaming behind him. It was not a pretty sight, and he looked awful.

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
I think it's a "rendering plant" and that they pick up and process downer cattle not fit for human consumption- but I could be mistaken.
I heard this as well. I can't remember where I read it but it implied that any diseased, dead, euthanized animals are picked up by Merrick and brought to their rendering plant. If I can find the link again I will post it.

Members online

No members online now.