ohhh Oakley, hahah!

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Wasn't planning on posting, but this irks me:
I can't remember, but does Oakley still wear a shock collar?
I don't see what this has to do with anything, seems more like a low blow to stir up more trouble to me...

Lizmo

Water Junkie
No, it wasn't at all. I even hesitated to post it for thinking someone would take it that way. It was just an honest question because she said "had him trained", so I didn't know.

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
Having to deal with this at least every week, I don't find the humor in the story.

Jessie...i let Oakley walk off leash BECAUSE i care about him. He *lives* to run...containing him is cruel.
I walk Rumor on a leash because she loves to run and because I care about her. She has a decent recall, but I would never count on her to be 100% reliable. I make sure she's in a secure, fenced-in area when she needs to run. A leash is not cruel, it is part of being a responsible dog owner.

I just don't think you would take the risk of bringing them out further than your doorstep... i'd just be too dangerous....
And this is because they leash their dogs as is required by law? Why are those who abide by the law in the wrong here?

PappiLuv

I don't understand why everyone is attacking Dreeza. We've ALL had accidents with our dogs at one point or another and in the end if everything turned out alright we look back and laugh about it. My dog jumped up in the kitchen and slammed her head against an open dishwasher drawer. I was terrified and brought her to the vet just to make sure she was alright (she was fine). Now I look back and laugh about. Of course I never leave anything above her head that she could jump up at... so yes I've learned from a mistake.

Dreeza if it means anything I understand what the point of your post is. I do not think you're an irresponsible dog owner and it's good that everything turned out fine. I find it perfectly OK to laugh about it now. Next time you can learn from this and prevent it from happening again - some dogs are really accident prone and we have to watch them more carefully.

I do understand the concern that some of you have shown in your replies but there is always a nice way to say something and a not so nice way to say something. We are all here for one reason - because of the deep love we have for our animals.

SarahFish

Okay, everyone stop attacking Dreeza. This is pathetic, Dreeza posted a funny, yes, FUNNY story because her dog was off-lead and chased a squirrel, then got stuck in someone's yard. So, the dog COULD have hurt itself, or COULD have been attacked by another dog, but they didn't happen. To me, a little risk when you let your dog off-lead is to be expected, better a happy dog.

Where we used to live, I knew the risks were low enough for me to let off Lui on our way to the park. He understood that in this area he could run but then had to come back, and he did. If another dog appeared, he might have gone to say hello, but that was just a small risk I took, nothing wrong with that.

All of you attacking Dreeza, do you enjoy being all high and mighty and telling people about how bad they are? Do you love it when you can say how stupid they were? Well, if you say no, then look at all your posts. This is pathetic, it was a funny story because the dog was fine, and Dreeza trusted her dog off-lead and even though there was some small risk in letting him off, like there is with all dogs, even at a dog park, Dreeza knew it was only small, and continued. I'm sure that before this day he was let off his lead, and those times it was all fine, meaning the chance of something bad happening was low.

So, to all of you being nasty on this thread, either say something nice, or don't say it at all. It was supposed to be a funny story, which it was, but most of you who posted would rather find fault than humour, or just fault instead of anything, and it's annoying! Just because you all think you're so experienced and sensible, which you're not, because sensible people don't attack others!

J's crew

Ok, so I can see where the story could be a little funny looking back. I am able to laugh at some pretty intense or scary situations after the fact. The difference is I learn from my mistakes. That doesn't seem to be happening here.

All the little jokes about people being over protective of their dogs is crap. It really shows who is and who isn't a responsible owner. There is a time and a place for everything. Dogs being off leash walking through a neighborhood is down right stupid.

I also agree with BP & elegy. I sure hope no dog ever hops into my yard. In that case everyone involved will lose.

On a side note, a few years ago a friend had his 2 APBT's in his fenced back yard. Somehow a collie mix hopped into the fence and my friend walked out to the dog being ripped to shreds. Believe me, it was not funny at all.

*Amy*

I posted because I wanted to suggest her leashing her dog ONLY because I was concerned. I'm sorry it turned into a stupid back-and-forth argument.

I don't think I should've been told that I don't let my dogs breathe just because I walk them on a leash, though. That's not fair to say.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
the point sharkbait is not that her dog lives, the point is there are LEASH laws for a reason, woulndt be so fun if oakly was dog or human agressive and drezza let him walk offlesh...

ive met many people who think its ok to walk their dog offleash (DEPSITE the laws) because "their dog is high energy and doesnt get enough excersize ONleash (whihc simply means YOUR not wlaking far enough and a 50ft trianing leash would provide enough line to sniffe and explore while still having some control over the dog!
only to find im being stared down by an agressive dog whos NOT on leash and has suddenly decided he doesnt realy care what his owner has to say...i then get in trouble for protecting myself and my dogs.
i walk my dogs on 26ft flexies, for THEIR saftey and everyone elses! i can keep them tight when its heavily populated and i can guide them away from hazards (since drezza clearly stated she KNEW there was a 5-6ft wall there but now theres a nsow bank it makes the height different on the OTHER side?!) but for the most part they get full lenght of the leash, they run, explore play and jump in puddles and roll in the dirt and bark at the geese. when we come home or go to the dog park they have ACFRES of secure fencing to run and play and roll in mud puddles and chase (and in rubies case CATCH squirrels and chipmonks) at the dog park they get to play offleash and meet and greet other people and dogs.

when offleash they have almost perfect recal, ruby is the only one whos NOT trustworthy simply because shes a crestie and cresties are part terrier part sighhound, 2 parts = i want it so im deaf, however the chis and the spaniel, no questions asked, come means come sit and your eyes are on me!
even with perfect recal...they are onleash if there not in a secruely fenced area...
does this mean they dont get to lvie and be dogs...
they sure as hell dont seem to think so, we have plenty of mud puddles and snow and leaves and squirrels to chase in our yard and at the dog park, and they get plenty of freedom on an extending leahs at the park.

dont assume because im RESPONSIBLE and walk my dogs on leash there not recal trained!? dont assume because they dont get to run all abouts offleash when were in an unsecured public place (a residential area is NOT a safe area) they dont live.

only 2 weeks ago a woman beat almost to death a spaniel mix because "it was comming at her" her owner had left it of leash while they were walking in the park, a woman terrified of dogs saw the dog running at her and swung HARD with a large walking stick at the dogs head...

the dog almost died but luckily for the dog was rushed to the evet and they got the brain swelling under control! when asked why she hit the dog she was certain the dog was "comming at her" being its illegal for the dog to be offleash anywhere but the dogpark or own property/private property the dogs owner was at fault, he not only had to pay for the medical costs of saving his dog but he also had to pay a heavy fine for allowing his dog offleash!

the dog turns out was very friendly but the woman didnt know shed been attacked by a dog in the past and took action before thought...
the dog was only out of its owners sight for under 1 minute...

personally i dont find it worth it, my dogs get to live...
they dont get to break the law

i dont care how well your dog is trained...its not the dog i worry about, its the other people around you...what would you have done if oakly had chased that squirrel towards someone like the lady who beat the spaniel...she was within her rights she only hit the dog once because she felt threatend...

i agree, when something bad happens sometimes you just have to laugh at it afterwards, HOWEVER what if the dog had been in his yard and tore oakley to itty bitty peices?

Unless she had Oakley on a VERY short lead he would have still gotten into that yard, so a leash would not have averted this situation.

SarahFish

Dogs being off leash walking through a neighborhood is down right stupid.
Since when? A quiet neighbourhood, and it being legal to have dogs off-lead, is fine. If you can trust your dog, and know the risks are low, what's the problem?
Of course, it does depend where you live. Some countries have this as against the law, but where I live heaps of people do this, it's legal, and it's fine.

All right CHILDREN.

Most leash laws are written to encompass a dog off-lead that is "under control."

Now, as someone else mentioned, has no one else ever had an experience that, looking back, they probably should have thought ahead a little and avoided, but turned out to be pretty funny in retrospect?

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Since when? A quiet neighbourhood, and it being legal to have dogs off-lead, is fine. If you can trust your dog, and know the risks are low, what's the problem?
I have no problem with a dog being walked off leash in a nieghborhood as long as the dog walks beside you. Thats just like walking with a leash on. So far, in my neck of the woods, I haven't seen this.

Dreeza, I'm not trying to bash you in the least. I do think it would be wise to walk Oakley on a leash for now or find somewhere he can be off leash away from a busy neighborhood.

Sorry, didn't see your post Renee.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
I don't believe that anyone is attacking, nor do I see anyone calling names of "irresponsible" or "bad". But what I do see is some dog owners, speaking from the other point of view.

Sure, it could be funny to some, Oakley slid down snow or whatever... but he landed in someone else's yard and for those of us with guard dogs, an incident like that would make for all parties involved to lose.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
she KNEW the wall was there, even on a 50ft leash she could have kept him from going neer the wall...

if she didnt know the wall was there then fine she wouldnt have known there was a possible large drop or possibly an agressive dog on the othersied... and might not have tightend the leash in time to prevent him getting neer enough to the wall to prevent him falling into the yard...
however
she KNEW the wall was there, had he had been on a laesh she could have tightend the leash by that wall that there was now a nice snow drift ramp by to make him climbing/running up it even easier... and there woudl have been no chance of him falling over the wall, mabe drezza is a tiny little thing but i know for a fact, while i could easily lose my balance no dog on a regular COLLAR and leash is pulling my dead weight a coupld feet towards a wall, once im down its suddenly ALOT harder to move me...

the point being, had she had proper control over him, she KNEW the wall was there, she KNEW there was potentially a dangerous dog on the other side and she KNEW the snowbank would make it even easier for him to get up there shoudl soemthing happen, even OFFLEASH, if he was under control she would had known the wall was comming up with a potentially dangerous dog in residence, and she would have given him a command that if as she says works would have kept him by her side if the squirrel had come past...

if your wlaking your dog offleash you have to be triple aware of your surroundings, luckily it ended with a safe squirrel and a safe oakely, but if the wall was a known in the equation it should have been an automatic "danger area" and the dog should have been in "work mode" in that area...if it had been an open area, park feild ect where the risk of tumbling over a wall was not there fune whatever...but in an area of a known risk...

oh well, not worth it...

i just hope we dont get a post of sadness one day...from ANYONE who thinks obeying the law and cotnroling your dog when offleash is a doggy kill joy, PLEASE if you insist on letting your dog run round off leash you need to be triply aware of where you are, whats around you and the risks possible!

*Amy*

FoxyWench, you cleared that up for everyone perfectly. Thank you very much. :D

If he is so undercontrol why is he allowed to run after a squriel? Just becuase the police havnt said anything doesnt mean jack. Most policelet things slide when ti comes to animals, its the dog police who do enforce many dog rules. At our dog park there is also trails, where dogs are supposed to be on leash. There is no signs stating it, its just a unwrtten law, and people have been fined. I honestly dont care and walk my dog down there, it is 10 mins outside of town and really there is no danger for hima t all to be offleash, except maybe running in to a odd tree. I see cops there all the time, and town workers. None care at all. But if a animal control officer spots people then you are in trouble. I would never let my dog run around the neighboor hood offleash, it is rude dog ownership to me, I dont care how friendly a dog is and how well behaved. dogs are dogs and still have minds of there own and dont always listen, even the most obident dogs have off days. What if your dog caused a car accident when chasing a sqirrel out in to the road? Knocked down a child playing? Who would be at fault? Offcourse you, and that is why leash laws are in effect

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
No, it wasn't at all. I even hesitated to post it for thinking someone would take it that way. It was just an honest question because she said "had him trained", so I didn't know.
My apologies. I've had an incredibly bad week (not that it's any excuse for being bitchy) and the littlest thing seems to set me off, sorry.

Members online

No members online now.