Agility training

krissy

Kili had her first real trial last night. We used steeplechase to work out the kinks because she doesn't do 12 weaves yet. Then she had her Jumpers run. She was perfect, so naturally she had to pull the second to last jump. Should have been her first Q. Oh well, at least she ran the rest of the course clean and fast. It was even kind of a tricky starters course... had a couple of tight turns in it. There was a photographer there so now I'm super anxious to see them.

Sekah

The Monster.
Kili had her first real trial last night. We used steeplechase to work out the kinks because she doesn't do 12 weaves yet. Then she had her Jumpers run. She was perfect, so naturally she had to pull the second to last jump. Should have been her first Q. Oh well, at least she ran the rest of the course clean and fast. It was even kind of a tricky starters course... had a couple of tight turns in it. There was a photographer there so now I'm super anxious to see them.
This sounds like it's a variation on celebrating a clean run one jump too early. :p It happens to the best of us.

I had my last class with Cohen for the summer yesterday. I'm taking some time off so I can reclaim my Tuesday nights and save a bit of cash. Class went pretty well. There were some tricky parts in the courses for sure and my trainer is really challenging us to keep bars up in tight spaces. Cohen has gotten much, much better at being mindful of bars.

Sometimes I get a bit down on myself when I see my friends competing in Masters and I'm still stuck in Advanced. Then I realize that they trial more often than I do (and have dogs who are loathe to knock a bar). The last sanctioned/non-regionals trial I went to was back in January, and before that it was August. So... I should probably start trialing more often than twice a year before I decide to get frustrated. The issues I run into at trials are weave pop-outs and knocked bars. With some additional trial atmosphere/excitement experience the weave issues should be reduced and knocked bars are significantly less of an issue now than they were a year ago.

Now that I'm out of class I do have a bit of extra cash to put towards a trial or two... The hard part is finding the time.

xpaeanx

I was the only one in class so it was my pick of what to work on. I chose a class of just fast straight lines adding lateral distance, diverges, and converges. It was what we needed both to help give him more confidence on course to run his lines and for us mentally. We just partied at the end every time... So he got faster and we partied harder with each run. I'm too slow so I need distance skills, but his confidence isn't there yet so he likes to be up my butt on course... That leads to a lot of frustration on both our ends... So this brought back the fun. We'll be implementing it more at home too... Happy dog, Happy Human= Good times.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
Sometimes I get a bit down on myself when I see my friends competing in Masters and I'm still stuck in Advanced. Then I realize that they trial more often than I do (and have dogs who are loathe to knock a bar). The last sanctioned/non-regionals trial I went to was back in January, and before that it was August. So... I should probably start trialing more often than twice a year before I decide to get frustrated.

Now that I'm out of class I do have a bit of extra cash to put towards a trial or two... The hard part is finding the time.
You know you're not alone in the stuck in advanced/lack of trial boat :p
Although you should totally have signed up for this weekend!
This Saturday might be the day that we finally make it out of Advanced Standard!!!!!! (One can only hope).

I am very happy with spending the cash on renting out the arena today. It was a pretty solid contact & weave practice.
Rigby was actually running for once, and totally killed her contacts (except the teeter of course, but maybe in another few years she'll get it).
Both of their distance work was excellent today. I wish I got in some discrimination work....ah well

After Cobain's initial "omg teeter I CAN FLY" he was great too.

Sekah

The Monster.
How does it work when you rent McCanns? Do you need to move a lot of equipment by yourself? Are you best to go with a friend or can you comfortably do it solo? I want to do what you did for the next DAO trial.

I admit I didn't have this weekend's trial in my calendar and then I went and booked myself a day of playing board games/drinking with friends and the other day playing airsoft. (Plus I had dog stuff last weekend and next weekend.) Next time I'll try not to miss it.

BostonBanker

Sometimes I get a bit down on myself when I see my friends competing in Masters and I'm still stuck in Advanced. Then I realize that they trial more often than I do (and have dogs who are loathe to knock a bar). The last sanctioned/non-regionals trial I went to was back in January, and before that it was August. So... I should probably start trialing more often than twice a year before I decide to get frustrated.
It is so hard NOT to compare; I mean, it is obviously ridiculous to do so, because all dogs are different and all handlers are different and everyone is doing different things, but even as I say that, I can't not do it. Two of my trial friends got young dogs about the same time I got Gusto. I'd be lying if I said that I never wanted to scream "WHY CAN'T WE KEEP UP WITH THESE DOGS?!".

I went to practice last night for the first time since our trial in mid-June. I feel like I'm mentally in a better place with Gusto at last. It was kind of hot, so I went in firm that I would only run him twice because I didn't want to give him a reason to get slow. We tugged and played on the startline, splashed in the kiddie pool between the two runs, and did a big, fast speed circle around the outside of the course. I didn't maintain contact criteria (oh good god is that hard) and just ran. He was fast and happy both times, so we stopped at that and he got to have the rest of my sirloin from dinner the other night.

I am thinking of entering him for a day of CPE next month. Just Level 1, get in, run fast, get out. I need to figure out how I can check and see what Meg has in CPE so I can enter her as well. I haven't run in that venue in probably 5 years.

Edited: As I'm looking at the schedule, I realize I don't remember what these classes are. Jackpot is Gamblers. Colors I remember (probably a great choice for my purposes). Full House vs Wildcard? Anyone?

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
How does it work when you rent McCanns? Do you need to move a lot of equipment by yourself? Are you best to go with a friend or can you comfortably do it solo? I want to do what you did for the next DAO trial.

I admit I didn't have this weekend's trial in my calendar and then I went and booked myself a day of playing board games/drinking with friends and the other day playing airsoft. (Plus I had dog stuff last weekend and next weekend.) Next time I'll try not to miss it.
My sign up was last minute. Rig wasn't in until yesterday. That's something I love about DAO, they're very accommodating.

It's $30 per half hour, and once you go and meet with the staff and fill out the forms the first time, you can book practice time at any point 24/7.
There's usually equipment set up, they do prefer that you don't move the contact stuff alone (because of the potential to hurt the turf), and if they're open you can always ask someone to come out and help.

There was a bunch of USDAA stuff set up today which was neat to familiarize them with that.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Yep, I compare with P too. It is really really frustrating that he's still in Open and here is Georgie in Excellent Jumpers. Payton started first. Payton got his NAJ first (and super fast - maybe too fast.) And here she is with her title and nearly got two AXJ legs this past weekend and meanwhile Payton just has the one leg for his OAJ. Yep... and of course it's even more frustrating because MY MOM trained Georgie, she doesn't even really know what she's doing. I think that's actually part of it. She just follows directions very explicitly and never does too much or anything extra. And I'm more likely to push Payton. Sigh.

Georgie had a great trial although her weave poles still need some work. I bought more steak to do some Steak n Weaves with Georgie and see if I can't get that cleaned up. She needs better contacts too and I think I'll have to take over that too, to make sure timing is correct and that she's consistently rewarded for the correct criteria. My mom just doesn't really do a lot of contact work with her (not too hard to understand since the contacts are all over at my house and she's unlikely to pack Georgie up to take her over there, and it's an ordeal just for ME to pack Georgie up and take her over there because she bark-screams the entire time I'm working with Payton. Oh the neighbours are just gonna LOVE you, Georg.)

Auggie also had a great weekend, no Qs but he was fast (for Auggie.) Like he would have gotten 15 PACH points if he'd Q'd. It's a lot of my fault for not really practicing with him - I mean, he's supposed to be retired, so we don't really do jumpwork or anything anymore. If I DID we might have a different dog. He happily tugged and played with me before his runs so I think that's going a long way toward a happy dog and happy runs. They had little brag boards for people to write on... there's one for Auggie here...

Payton, well. No weaves all weekend long, we got REALLY close one day. He got most of his contacts, in one run he got ALL of them. Some times I actually remembered my rules. He blew an a-frame and I just stopped and waited for him and he backed his butt on it. The dog walk was the second to last obstacle and he stuck that one and I held him on it a LONG time telling him "Good, good boy, good boy!" Our Sunday JWW course ended with a nice long wrap where the judge pretty much just said "run as fast as you can." I had planned to really run, especially if Payton wasn't Qing to that point. Well, he didn't get his weave poles, so I told him "oh you're in big trouble now" and we got to that part of the course and I just started sprinting. He came with me and it was beautiful. I really love when I get to just run full out with him. Everybody outside the ring was like "oh, haha, you REALLY ran fast." Yes, yes I did. and it was fun. It was a nice way to end the trial, really.
We had a hard day on Saturday morning and I took Auggie outside to cry about it. Saturday afternoon was much better (that was the round he got all three of his contacts.) After this weekend I actually feel like we might be working toward something rather than just getting in the ring and hopelessly flailing around together. So... not there yet. But approaching it, I think? I hope.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
It sucks having to take time off. I still kick myself for Summer's 4 year hiatus but it is what it is. Sometimes classes just can't work out with work schedules and stuff. :/ I also try not to compare her to the young sports border collies. I mean... she's 10. Toothless and gray faced and missing part of an eyelid. Oh and tiny. xD But it's hard not to be like 'Why does that 3 year old dog run so much faster than you?' Though in class she's been FAST lately. Really fast.

I am so much more competitive than I anticipated with agility. I hope not in a bad way but I really want to be good at it.

We have class tonight then a week off. And then a trial. :/ I'm nervous about this one too. She just seems to not do as well at USDAA. Ack.

But I need a weekend away and having fun sooooo.

I should probably book my hotel like ASAP. Whoops.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
What an AMAZING day!!!

I originally had signed Cobain up for an A. Gamble, A. Standard, then Rigby up for a S. Jumper (second ever trial).

GIVE ME ALL THE Q'S!

Rigby got her first ever Q on her second ever trial! It may not have been fast, but it was clean!

Granted, she was 3rd out of 3...but hey....

Then COBAIN!!!!!
I signed up for the Gamble and Standard figuring the gamble would set us up for the standard. We needed 1 Q to get into Masters standard (finally).
Q's and 1st's for daaayyyss

We were fortunate to be able to sign up for the Master Standard once we got the AADC title covered :D
Holy crap it was beautiful. The weaves may or may not been great I have no idea, and neither did the judge - The way the set-up was, it was difficult to tell. But she said the rest of the run was so gorgeous, that even if the weaves weren't awesome that time, they were awesome all day before that and we got to redo them after just to make sure....

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Siri and I are re-visiting some focus work. Work that I should have probably done more intensely months ago. But anyway, she's doing great, learning that she can't just disengage whenever she wants to, etc. etc.

Megan and I went to a newish park today, and I just took a Hoop to work on focus. Here are a couple pics...

(she's only on a long line because earlier today we went to this park and there were some barn swallows skimming the ground...Siri has come a really far way with her impulse control, but I wanted to set her up for success tonight)
Siri1 by laurenscoombs, on Flickr

Siri2 by laurenscoombs, on Flickr

Siri3 by laurenscoombs, on Flickr

She's so much fun to work with. Nothing less than 1000%!
I feel so bad that she's stuck with me! Her brother is already competing, and we're...er...yeah.

We also started weaves, and she's doing stellar. So freaking smart.

DJEtzel

Some videos from the weekend. 6/10 Qs, two titles... learned a lot! He was not completely on game, was hot and tired, but we had a good time. :)

[youtube]t_-YGAuLiTs[/youtube]

[youtube]c2swB42nZt8[/youtube]

[youtube]iBz8K66g0l0[/youtube]

[youtube]klIN4OoBs9o[/youtube]

[youtube]WDd_oV-s87Y[/youtube]

The last video, Jumpers run (which got us out of level two and we are now into level three) was the last run of the trial, and he was doing great until I said something, which I am really bad about, as he was over a bar. Not clean, but still a nice run on his part and a 1st place Q. We had 5 first place Qs and 1 2nd place Q- our jackpot run was level one (we had never been able to enter before!) and we beat everyone through level 4 (same course) - there were a few (4 or 5) level 5/C dogs that beat us... so I felt pretty proud of him for that one. Thankfully, my fiancé accompanied me and entered Pimg in a few runs and he was able to give me some really good strategies for games. :D

It was a great way to celebrate my birthday AND Recon's birthday! (7/13 and 7/16)

Sekah

The Monster.
Nicely done! The courses look so smooth and fun. Makes me want to look into CPE more seriously.

Congrats to everyone who's posted recently. Cobain & Rig, Mimi, Recon, Siri and everyone else.

DJEtzel

Nicely done! The courses look so smooth and fun. Makes me want to look into CPE more seriously.

Congrats to everyone who's posted recently. Cobain & Rig, Mimi, Recon, Siri and everyone else.
CPE is a really nice starter venue... They don't have international handling, so success is going to be pretty high, which is very motivating. I'm glad we started here, for ring experience for us both and to compensate for not as rigid of training in the beginning. We aren't ready for AKC yet, primarily due to level of faults - off courses and whatnot... So we're going to get our C-ATCH, then move onto AKC.

It's also great for someone with no real goals, just looking to have a nice time playing with their dog, or older dogs, etc. Just a little less competitive, ya know?

BostonBanker

I just sent in Gusto's CPE registration. I am planning to use the venue to work on his trial issues. As silly as it seems, I am putting my USDAA masters dog in level one, so we can get short, fast courses. USDAA is my real love, but there is a lot to be said for simplicity.

DJEtzel

I just sent in Gusto's CPE registration. I am planning to use the venue to work on his trial issues. As silly as it seems, I am putting my USDAA masters dog in level one, so we can get short, fast courses. USDAA is my real love, but there is a lot to be said for simplicity.
I don't know what issues he has exactly, but I think it's great for motivation/encouragement! Recon could have trained just a little more and started at level 3, but I wanted him to have success for a while, first. We were able to breeze through the first few levels in just a couple trials.

BostonBanker

I don't know what issues he has exactly, but I think it's great for motivation/encouragement!
He's stressing. His stress doesn't really show as "stress", which is why it took me so long to pick up on. Originally he would just wander off sniffing, and trainers had me treating it as disobedience which I think just made it worse. The sniffing is basically a non-issue now, but he still is slower than I'd like (and a lot slower than at practices), and sort of wide and lopey on turns. I'm hoping I can go in, amp the heck out of him going to the startline, release without a lead out, and do a big fast loop and run out to cookies. We will see. It's my current plan, because I'm otherwise out of ideas. I have a lesson Thursday with a new trainer, so I'm hopeful she will have some thoughts on how to handle things.

Members online

No members online now.