dog friendly

Maxy24

Are there any breeds of dog (large dog, over 40 pounds) that are known to be very dog friendly. In the future i plan on having multiple dogs and i want to do my best to choose mixes that will be good with my other dogs. I know that socialization is key but i was just wondering if any breeds are very well known for being dog friendly.

bubbatd

Or a Golden .... my Goldens throughout the years have liked dogs all sizes.

The two posts above named the first two breeds that came to mind for me. Of course, all dogs are individuals, and I'm sure not all the members of those breeds are dog-friendly, but in general, they seem to be pretty easy-going when it comes to other dogs. Our Dogo is dog-friendly, too, but he'll also open a mean can of whoop-a** if another dog comes at him first.

oriondw

user not active
As someone else said, I think golden retrievers are some of the friendliest dogs i've ever encountered.

Personally never seen one being aggressive at all.

Last edited:

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
I've never seen a *well bred* golden or lab that was dog aggressive. I've seen plenty poorly bred ones at the dog park get into fights more commonly than any of the dogs people often fear.

BostonBanker

While I agree that labs and goldens are generally very friendly towards other dogs, I want to point out that other dogs often do not like them as well. Because many of the retrievers (And other breeds, I'm sure; these are clearly just the most common.) tend to remain rather "juvenile" throughout their lives, other dogs can be very reactive to them. I know a lot of dogs, mine included, who hate when an adult retriever comes bounding up to them. It is behavior that she will happily tolerate from a young puppy, but not an adult. These happy, friendly dogs are not really following doggie social rules. I think that's what sets off a lot of fights at dog parks. Friendly retriever bounds up to another dog, entering into their space inappropirately, that dog tells them, "Back off and grow up", and things escalate. I'm very careful about taking Meg into parks because of it.

It may never be an issue if you have a bunch of retrievers, but if you want to add other types of dogs to your pack, you may want to keep it in mind.

bubbatd

Even when attacked , it took a heck of a lot for mine to raise their hackles. Even Ollie the other day said " Whoa Buddy " when a dog tried to pick a fight with him .

I agree with all above, particularly Goldens. While Labs are lovely and very social, I still find Goldens to be the most dog friendly (and human friendly) breed that I've ever met.:)

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
My first thoughts were exactly what Doc said. :) Goldens are *supposed to be*extremely dog friendly and friendly all the way around for that matter. A particularly dog friendly mutt is always wonderful too. ;)

RD

Are you dead yet?
Are we talking "OMGOMG I LOVE YOU!" upon meeting friendly, or polite and accepting friendly?

Goldens, Labs, Setters etc are the most demonstrative, but as BostonBanker pointed out, they are extremely friendly to the point of being a bit too much for some dogs. If you have a very reserved dog, I wouldn't get a happy-go-lucky Labrador and expect the two to hit it off.

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
I think any dog at the pound would pass for dog friendly :) Afterall, most humane societys put dogs through tests before they get put up for adoption ;) ACD's can be dog aggressive but my boy is very friendly and loves to play with other dogs. I just wish he was like that with human strangers :D

We're getting a Brittany in the spring...how do they fair with Goldens and Labs? I've ready they are dog/people friendly as well.

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
We're getting a Brittany in the spring...how do they fair with Goldens and Labs? I've ready they are dog/people friendly as well.
Brittanys are great dogs, I personally have never met a nasty one though I'm sure they exist just like everything else. They are a hunting dog though and require a fair amount of exercise. Make sure you are going through a reputable breeder who has a contract for buying there pups and does all the necessary health testing.

bubbatd

Brittanys can be a little wound up , but it depends on the breeding and socialization . I've just stuck to goldens for 60 years because they are for me and me for them .

Yes, the breeder we getting "her" from has been breeding them for 13 years and he uses them for hunting. Ours will be a companion pet, partaking in flyball or some sort of exercise like that.

He fully guarantees the health and temperment of his pups. I've gone onto hunting websites where people have his dogs and they have nothing but praise for him and his dogs.

Maxy24

thanks i really like irish setters, golden and labrador retrievers my dog will be a mix because i find they tend to be healthier than purebreds that you find in a shelter (if you find any) I think I probally like the Irish setter (i also like english setters) best because they are not as well known as labs and goldens, I've heard boxers can be same sex aggressive but does anyone know how they do with the opposite sex?

wookie130

I too can vouch for golden retrievers being a wonderful dog-friendly breed. My Melvin (7 years old) has always lived with 2 other dogs (until we had to put Ginger down about 2 weeks ago), and he's always adjusted to other animals and befriends them quickly...he's just so full of sloppy love, that his heart is big enough for everyone, I guess. :)

BlackPuppy

Owned by Belgians
Everybody says that about Goldens, but my dog has been attacked twice by (different) Goldens, once in a Petsmart. And the Golden down the street sure doesn't like him when we walk near his house.

My dog happens to like all dogs, so it wasn't his fault.

Members online