Dog laws

SarahHound

If you could...

Get rid of one dog law
Change one dog law
Create one dog law

what would they be? This was done on another forum I use, and it was quite interesting.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
I wish we had our leash law again. I'm SO tired of the roaming dogs. I am also tired of the roadkill dogs I see at least once a week.

I wish the puppymill law here didn't have so many exceptions. Like you're held under that law if you have 10 or more intact dogs but you can get an exception if you get a business license that your a groom shop or boarding kennel.

Not sure about killin a law.... I need to think about it.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Get rid of one: The pitbull ban here in Miami. So useless. People still have them.. people still fight them. They take away dogs that aren't even "pitbulls" and are pets. wtf is the point again?

Create one: A real puppy mill law. Not sure how it would work but it would need to crack down on living environment/health of dogs to hopefully get rid of puppy milling all together

Change on: Poop pick up law. Not picking up your dogs poop should be punishable by beating with a brick. Those people ruin it for everyone.. have some consideration in parks made for people as well

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
I'm with Fran on the poop pickup law. Maybe not a capital offense, but they should be force fed the poop publicly as punishment for their crime. If that poop is left on someone's lawn (and not "public" property), the homeowner/resident gets first dibs on feeding the offender.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Get rid of one dog law: BSL.

Change one dog law: More brutal sentences for proven animal abusers.

Create one dog law: That somehow only reputable, passionate-about-breed people could breed... but this is one of those "great ideas that could never work" kind of things due to WAY too many factors - personal opinion, individual breed needs/expectations, etc etc etc.

yoko

Get rid of: Any law that bans any breed of dog
Change: Stiffer penalties for people who don't care for their dog like they should. Not just abuse but people who let dogs wander would be included.
Create: People would have to take a competence test before adopting/buying a dog.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
If you could...

Get rid of one dog law
Change one dog law
Create one dog law

what would they be? This was done on another forum I use, and it was quite interesting.
I would eliminate the banned list.

I would change the dangerous dog laws - i.e. I would make it more owner accountable. Heavier consequences for out of control dog OWNERS.

I would create a hit squad team of people who would go into the inner cities and towns, connecting with the chavy staff/am bulldog owners, teaching them responsible dog ownership and basic training for their dogs, and teach them how much more of a connection you can have with your animal aside from fighting them and changing them every 2 seconds.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I'm with Fran on the poop pickup law. Maybe not a capital offense, but they should be force fed the poop publicly as punishment for their crime. If that poop is left on someone's lawn (and not "public" property), the homeowner/resident gets first dibs on feeding the offender.
We actually have these laws in the UK - you have to pick up your poop.

It made a HUGE difference... although one thing that REALLY annoys me, is now you tend to see little baggies full of poo hung from trees etc........ FRIIDNCKJJFKSbkjf

I'd rather they LEFT it than bagged it and hung it somewhere. :mad:

Gypsydals

:hail:

B

Blue_Dog

Get rid of one dog law? BSL. It should have never come into place in the first time.
Change one dog law? The leash law; I'm not opposed to to, but I wish that there were exceptions in some areas. There's only one dog park here and it's on the other side of the city.
Create one dog law? I don't know, there are some good suggestions in this thread though. Especially that poop law.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
The law I'd get rid of? Its a tie between BSL, MSN and pet limits. But I guess if we're just doing the laws in our own states, I suppose I would pick the pet limit laws, since we don't have BSL or MSN.

The law I'd change? Whatever law it is that classes the animals in commercial breeding operations such that they aren't subject to the animal cruelty laws ALREADY on the books. Most states already have pretty good animal cruelty legislation. Commercial breeders are exempt from much of it (and there's also some corruption in the USDA) so they aren't held accountable. I would change this immediately.

I'm not sure what law I'd create, we already have enough of 'em. I think we just need to fix what's there, not add more.

Tortilla

Blonde Raccoon
It made a HUGE difference... although one thing that REALLY annoys me, is now you tend to see little baggies full of poo hung from trees etc........ FRIIDNCKJJFKSbkjf

I'd rather they LEFT it than bagged it and hung it somewhere. :mad:
Yeah I know! This is gross and way worse than just leaving it.

I always, always, ALWAYS pick up after my dogs, even if it's dark and there's no one around for miles. It's just a common courtesy! Come on people!

Create one dog law: That somehow only reputable, passionate-about-breed people could breed... but this is one of those "great ideas that could never work" kind of things due to WAY too many factors - personal opinion, individual breed needs/expectations, etc etc etc.
And this! Enough backyard breeders are ruining breeds and contributing to the animal overpopulation. So sad. :(

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Get rid of one dog law: BSL in any shape or form. End of.
Change one dog law: Much harsher punishment for animal cruelty. Animal abuse should be a felony everywhere, and it isn't. Plus, Fable's adoption contract? "Have you been convicted of animal cruelty in the last 3 years?" WTF? How about EVER?
Create one dog law: This is where it gets tricky. For me, the fewer laws the better. Mandatory spay/neuter, anyone? Most of the good ideas could so easily turn into something overbearing, threatening just the resonsible dog owners. I think cracking down harder on the decent laws we have in place is better than making more. I definitely could get on board with the poop law, though.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
:rofl1: :rofl1:

YES!

Get rid of one dog law: BSL for sure.

Change one dog law: Actually end puppy mills/commercial breeding operations. Not sure how we'd go about this, but the laws need to be changed to actually end puppy mills.

Create one dog law: End the sale of puppies and dogs in stores and flea markets.

SaraB

I would get rid of any BSL out there... We don't have any local, but they are just a disgrace in general.

I would change the application process for multiple pets locally. Right now we have to have a "meeting" with any neighbors within 150 feet of our house so they can complain to a committee about our dogs even though all their dogs are way worse behaved.

I would create a law that requires dog owners to bring their dogs though at least one training class so they can at least learn the basics about proper dog ownership.

Members online

No members online now.