small clipper recomendations

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
Ive got an apt for Ruby at the goormer for a pony cut, shes at apoint where shes doign all she can to keep cool and her coat which is the equivalent of lama wool isnt realy helping much with the added humidity...(right now shes pressed against the metal filing cabinate, belly up because the metal is cooler lol)

so she will be groomed, still to loko like a crestie, but shell look more like her hairless brothers and sisters out there than her current fuzzyball self.

i was going to atempt it myself, but theres alot of hair and i dont have the equiptment (nore can afford it at this moment) she is very well behaved however and stands quite well for me to shave her face (i use a little mustash trimmer and keep ontop of it and it works great) so i figure ill have a professional do the intial cut. after that I can keep ontop of it myself if i can find a small good clipper for a deacent price. shes going to be around 1/8 an inch at the shortest, and id like to keep it that lenght there abouts...

can anyone suggest a good quality set of clippers, preferably something fairly quiet that wont buzz my hand off that will be good for KEEPING her trimed once shes been clipped properly?

beth2

well, andis and oster professional models are both good quality. Avoid the "pet" model clippers. They are the equilalent of human clippers: not strong enough to do the job. sounds like you would be cutting her very short so a #7FINE (used in reverse) or 10 blade (with the lie of the coat) is probably what you are looking for...that size (10) usually comes with the clipper. They range anywhere between $100 to $160 or so....blades cost at least $15 a piece and you would need two of each size so when they heat up you can swap them. Then you would need some blade wash spray also...$6-10. Its quite an investment.
Because you are using such a short blade on her I would recommend asking your groomer to show you how to use it and give you tips...shaving a whole dog short isnt the same as trimming her face...over time the blades get hot, and you can burn the skin. If not held right, and you not experienced you can cut your dog especially where there is loose skin or around the joints. And you could razor burn your dog's skin as well if you go too fast with the clippers or if the blade is dull. Im not trying to scare ya off, just giving the facts(from experience)...its not as easy as it looks to safely shave a dog and its hard to get that nice smooth finish without leaving lines....it may not be worth your effort and time and money...most people after trying to do it themselves elect to go back to the groomers.
Im not trying to promote pro groomers, just warning about the dangers of doing your own dog without sufficient training.
Some people have a nack for it and dont have a problem with handling the clippers and doing a smooth confortable groom on their dogs....I hope you are one who has the nack! :)
Good luck! I hope your groomers will be willing to help you out.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
thanks, im not worried about the act of shaving, i realy enjoy grooming my parents cocker, but their pet clippers broke and im just reaserching into what equiptment id need to keep up on Rubies coat.

the mustash trimmer does an excelent job, very close, no razor burn and it seems impossible to knick her with it, so a beard trimmer might be perfect in terms of simple upkeep...

ill have ot talk to the groomer and see what she says.

Members online