Dog collar

Saje

Island dweller
Ok. So, Maverick has gone through about 20 collars in the year that we've had him. I don't know how he loses some of them! This last one he wore for months and then ... I don't know - he came home without it.

So what is the best collar to get? We don't really use it for much as he's a well-behaved dog. He does pull when we walk him on a leash but we usually take them to places where they can run off leash.

Mostly it will be used for his tags. He didn't need tags where we were living before but now he does. I don't want to have to keep replacing them!

Any thoughts?

As for the pulling...you could try a prong or choke collar...with proper use it may work. I use the tree method most times if there's a pulling problem though.

Saje

Island dweller
Thanks Gaddy. I have a harness for when I do walk him on the leash. It's not often enough for me to worry about it. :)

scob89

DILLIGAF?
I would try a choke chain collar because the last GSD I fostered could never get his off no matter how hard he tryed.

You're welcome :). My three each have nylon collars, the Terrier mix's clips closed and so does my Lab's, but my BC mix has a buckle...harder for her to get out of. Leather is pretty strong though, so if you want something that should last awhile I'd go with that.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
sorry scobe..choke chains bad bad bad to be left on 24/7. Big time danger. Got stories you do not ever want to know!!!!! Kennel experience leaves you with some awful tales.
My favorite that i can never afford, but last forever and are most comfortable for the dog..is the rolled leather collar. They last forever and if you have to attach a leash quickly you don't even have to look for the ring. The rolled is easier on the dog's neck..more comfortable especially for those loose skinned breeds. harness leather (especially if you keep it oiled) last the longest of all.
beware the plastic clips..they break easy after awhile and when you need them to break the least is the minute they chose to let go.

Saje

Island dweller
He doesn't need a choker. I wouldn't get one for him anyway. It's just not necessary. He hasn't had one for a couple of weeks and we have no problem controlling him.

I'm not sure that I know what a rolled leather one is Smkie? Are they thinner. They sound very durable. I think I am going to splurge and get a quality leather one.

I look for that one smkie

Thanks for all your advice guys and gals. :D

Saje

Island dweller
Well I seem to have found the answer to my own question. It seems that rolled leather collars don't chafe and break hair like flat collars. Do you find this to be true? Sounds good to me as Mav has tons of hair. :)

I found some good, non-stretchy, adjustable heavy, heavy duty nylon collars with metal clips for the girls. I found them at Target. We don't leave them on all the time because collars get caught on too many things on a farm, but when we go somewhere they've been really good, although I think I may go ahead and invest in a couple of large harnesses now that they're pretty close to full grown.

I've found the way most dogs get rid of their collars is by simply stretching them out; getting them caught on something, or with a pair like Maverick and Mikey, playing with each other and tugging on them. Buffy never would let Bimmer wear a collar. She'd take it right off of him.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
That is why i like the rolled collar. Bronki and Garg both had loads of loose skin. Garg would get a bit rediculous looking when it all got worked up above a standard collar..he looked down right silly and it couldn't have been comfortable. It is jus like a good watch band. You get what you pay for. That particular collar just lasted along time for me. Victor has no loose skin (tho it is pretty pink and soft as talcum) so he does were the other kind with a reflective strip down the middle. I don't worry so much about his getting lost now, but in the biginning of any dog i always make them wear the safety ones..the ones the headlights reflect. When i am more affluent..think that will ever happen? I will buy him the rolled one just cause i like them so.

Members online

No members online now.