What health tests are important to your breed?

Just out of curiousity, what health tests are important to your breed?

Although it was orignially thought that PRA was bred out of Cardigans, recently it's been discovered that some dogs are carriers and affected, so that's one test I'll definitely be doing although both parents were thought to be PRA clear by pedigree.

Degenerative myelopathy is another big one; orignally thought to be a problem in breeds like pembroke welsh corgis and german shepherds, we've also discovered that around 10% of our breed are affected.

Hip Dysplasia is somewhat common, although there is a debate over whether it does any good to get a dog OFA'd. Penn Hip's distraction index seems to be a more accurate indicator regarding whether a dog is actually dysplastic.

Interverterbral disk disease also rears its head, but really the only indicator that I'm aware of is to get the spine x-rayed to see whether calcifications appear between the ages of 1 and 3. I've been told those calcifications disappear about the time the dog's growth plates close, so apparently there is a window regarding that test.

Although there are probably other issues, in my opinion those are the really important ones to address in regards to health testing.

Again, what about your breed?

Keechak

Aussie Obssessed
Aussies at a bare minimum should get Hips and elbows OFA'd (or hips Penhip) and eye's CERF'ed

Additional common testing are the MDR1 mutation test and the HSF4 cataract test. A few also test for PRA, CEA, and Pelgar-Huet anomaly.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
With Chessies, I looked for hips, elbows, eyes, PRA, DM, and EIC clearences.

Seems like most breeders only did hips or maybe hips and elbows. They would say they screened for DM and maybe PRA, but no certifiable proof.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Heart is what I pay attention to most. DM is a big one as well. With boxers I don't really care so much about the other stuff, not that they're not important I'm just not as worried about them as I am about heart testing. Although I think any breeder that is going to do holter monitoring and DM testing is probably also going to do hips, thyroid, whatever as well.

SpringerLover

The breed club says hips, elbows, eyes, PRA, DNA bank submission, and DNA profiling. They also recommend fucosidosis, phosphofructokinase deficiency, DM, thyroid, and cardiac. CHIC

In support of this, both of my dogs have CHIC numbers. I think it's really, really important!

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Dobermans:

VwD, Cerf, Thyroid, Cardio (holter and DNA), hips and elbows

Beagles:

MLS, Cerf and Thyroid

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
If Panzer ends up being breed worthy he will have his Hips and elbows OAF, heart, eyes and thyroid and whatever his breeder feel is necessary, but those are what I feel is required for the breed.

Members online

No members online now.