Breed Suggestions

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
Ohhhhhh Poodles can be fun.... Not sure about Toys, but Minis or a Standard could be cool....

Aleron - Yeah, I think for a Pyr Shep or a Groenendael it would have to be a specific breeding, like you said. But I must admit that I'm totally going to begin stalking the Pyr Sheps that compete around here because they are SO COOL to watch. But I can keep them in mind for sure!

I WANT A TOLLER. But I'm not sure they are QUITE what I'm looking for, unfortunately. However, there is a breeder of Finkies and Tollers that I know of (Raegan I know you know of her too LOL), so I wonder if they are a bit more alike than I think? I should email her for sure....

And Icelandics DO seem to be in line with what I want. I will keep researching them and their lines a bit.

Romy - OMG. The way the Shikoku is described on various websites it seems like they are the Finkies of Japan, but with a bit more biddability. I have want. OMG. Totally emailing some breeders.

Toller_08

I WANT A TOLLER. But I'm not sure they are QUITE what I'm looking for, unfortunately. However, there is a breeder of Finkies and Tollers that I know of (Raegan I know you know of her too LOL), so I wonder if they are a bit more alike than I think? I should email her for sure....
You should contact her! If it's the breeder I'm thinking of (pretty sure there is only one who breeds Finkies and Tollers), she's very nice and more than willing to answer any questions IME.

My vote goes to Shikoku just so you can flood us with pictures. I love them and wish I was the right person for one. But I'm not, so I just have to admire from afar.

Zhucca

Lab Love
Did someone suggest Finnish Lapphunds?

I think they fit all of your requirements. They are not the most drivey dogs, but they likely have more drive/energy than Finkies. They are nordic herders just like Icelandic Sheepdogs, but quieter from what I've read. They're still bred for being a watchdog, but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll bark to hear their own voice. More biddable than Finkies for sure, but still with their flair of spitz independence.

It's a breed I'm really considering too. They might have too much hair (for me), but they sound like a really lovely breed. Generally quite healthy, and a rare breed too.

Aleron

The Icelandic Sheepdog parent club has some good info: http://www.icelanddogs.com/Temperament.html

I think they fit all of your requirements. They are not the most drivey dogs, but they likely have more drive/energy than Finkies. They are nordic herders just like Icelandic Sheepdogs, but quieter from what I've read. They're still bred for being a watchdog, but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll bark to hear their own voice. More biddable than Finkies for sure, but still with their flair of spitz independence.

It's a breed I'm really considering too. They might have too much hair (for me), but they sound like a really lovely breed. Generally quite healthy, and a rare breed too.
They seem like really, really nice dogs but my understanding is most are pretty laid back and not all that drivey? Maybe the same potential issues with them as agility dogs as Finkies, although they are more biddable.

And OMG they are HAIRY! Such beautiful dogs though.

Zhucca

Lab Love
The Icelandic Sheepdog parent club has some good info: http://www.icelanddogs.com/Temperament.html

They seem like really, really nice dogs but my understanding is most are pretty laid back and not all that drivey? Maybe the same potential issues with them as agility dogs as Finkies, although they are more biddable.

You are probably right. Quite frankly I'm new to looking into them and I find conflicting information all the time. Icelandic Sheepdogs might be a better bet, but I wouldn't rule them out. Definitely would need to be very picky about your breeder.

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
Do you know where the pyrsheps that compete around there are from? :eek:
Not sure! I'm going to probably stalk them at trials whenever I see them for a bit and maybe I will get up the courage to ask LOL.

You should contact her! If it's the breeder I'm thinking of (pretty sure there is only one who breeds Finkies and Tollers), she's very nice and more than willing to answer any questions IME.

My vote goes to Shikoku just so you can flood us with pictures. I love them and wish I was the right person for one. But I'm not, so I just have to admire from afar.
Yeah, I'm guessing we're thinking of the same person LOL. I've spoken to her via FB (comments back and forth) about Finkies, but never about Tollers. I will try emailing her soon :)

I think the Shikoku breed sounds AWESOME. I'm going to have to keep Google searching and maybe get brave and email a breeder or two.

I've looked into Lapphunds a bit, but I'm not totally sold on them. I love most aspects of them, though.

Yeah, I've read that about Icies :D

It seems like Lapphunds might not be what I would want in terms of a sports dog, but it would be up to the individual. I just want to stack the deck in my favor in terms of a dog predisposed to being happy doing sports... I really got lucky with Kimma in that her craziness has worked for us in a good way.

I will have to keep gathering info on all these breeds (Tollers, Shikoku, Lapphunds, Icies) and see what breed seems to fit best. And once i have it more narrowed down (I'm still digging Buhunds, too), I can email breeders. Also, this depends heavily on Bubbles' pups (how many, genders, etc.), and therefore if I keep one. If I do not, then a different breed would be sooner than expected. Otherwise, I'm not thinking for years yet. Which MIGHT be a bit too soon to start emailing...

Romy

Taxiderpy
I think the Shikoku breed sounds AWESOME. I'm going to have to keep Google searching and maybe get brave and email a breeder or two.
Keep us in the loop if you hear from any Shikoku people. The more I read about them, the more they sound like they'd be a good fit here too. :D

Members online