Schipperke?

Airn

I haven't seen any pictures of Schipperke's on here, so I'm assuming no one has them..... Hopefully I'm wrong, though!

I usually steer away from small breeds but there are quite a few that I *think* I like. Schipperke's are one of them. (Along with small poodles, which is a surprise.)

Does anyone have one/have experience with this breed?

milos_mommy

Nope, but we used to have a user, I think called cheetah, who had one. She had two dogs, Evie and Shippo, I can't remember which was which. Sometimes she still posts, maybe she'll see this.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Eevee is a border collie mix and Shippo is a pembroke corgi. I don't think she's ever had a schipperke.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Nope, but we used to have a user, I think called cheetah, who had one. She had two dogs, Evie and Shippo, I can't remember which was which. Sometimes she still posts, maybe she'll see this.
Eevee is a BC mix... and Shippo is a Corgi...

ETA: Laurelin posted while I was posting :p

CatStina

SBT Lover!!
Not a Schipperke, but my cousin in Finland has a Kleinspitz. They are a similar breed to the Schipperke, from what I understand. Vili is a sweet dog, but barks like mad when excited. He has a lot of energy and is very intelligent. Here's Vili!

CaliTerp07

There was a schipperke at our dog park for a while. Very aloof, not interested in any other dogs or people. Bouncy bouncy bouncy though, exploring the perimeter.

Sorry, probably not very helpful!

I always think it's funny, multiple people (at least 6-7) have guessed that Lucy has schipperke in her ('cause she's small/black/fluffy, I guess). When I finally saw an actual one though, they look nothing alike! The schipperke was MUCH smaller than Lucy.

Airn

Well bummer! I have a friend that has one but he's not a 'dog person'. So not a lot of help on the breed as a whole.

The Kleinspitz does look really similar, though.

I don't like the barking aspect, but I figure that comes with the territory.

Closest thing I've found to a small fluffy breed that doesn't look 'girly'. The black helps, too :D

Thanks for trying, guys!

A friend of mine has one, I used to compare him to a Shiba Inu on crack. He was very alike my Shibas in his attitude towards people in general, aloof, to the point of could take them or leave them, but way.more.energy! He used to keep up to our friends Jacks! My Shibas were more, oh good we ran around the yard twice, lets go inside, the Schip and the Jacks would be out there for HOURS if allowed.

A friend of mine has one, I used to compare him to a Shiba Inu on crack. He was very alike my Shibas in his attitude towards people in general, aloof, to the point of could take them or leave them, but way.more.energy! He used to keep up to our friends Jacks! My Shibas were more, oh good we ran around the yard twice, lets go inside, the Schip and the Jacks would be out there for HOURS if allowed.
Good comparison. :)

Airn

:lol-sign: I love the video.

I think Gwen and this breed would make a good pair. I don't mind the aloofness. Gwen is also pretty aloof. And she loves to run!

Aleron

I have always thought Schips were super cute. They seems to be fine small dogs to have with big dogs, as some Belgian people have them. Of course, they appeal to Belgian people because of their mini-Groenendael look. But they are definitely more spitzy behavioral wise. They are certainly trainable and I would say in some ways they have a better aptitude for sports than many spitz because of their energy level. But they are one of those breeds that you need to make the training fun and worthwhile for them or they just aren't going to be interested. They are a pretty healthy breed with a potential for a very long lifespan, living into their mid to upper teens is fairly common and most seem to age really, really well.

Love the idea of the 13 year old playing - so cute!

milos_mommy

Wait...who had a schipperke?? Someone did! I think they also had a corgi, and I thought either the corgi or the schipperke was named Shippo, but I might be wrong about the name.

Someone definitely had a schipperke long long ago in the land of Chaz!

Obsessed with Schipperkes

Someone in my rescue group said that no one should be allowed to own a Schipperke unless they had a sense of humor.
They are not everyone's cup of tea.
Unlike other breeds who want to please their owners, a Schipp wants their owner to please them.
And keep them amused.
They are incredibly smart but have little interest in exhibiting same unless it amuses them.
They are lap-dogs only as long as there is a hand scratching them.
They are rarely 'bad' but often naughty.
Many are wary of strangers, hence the 'standoffishness' label.
My experience with yappiness is that it responds most effectively to the spray bottle.
The do not like to be reprimanded harshly.
They will turn and walk away in a huff.
EVERYTHING is interesting.
Especially if it is on the other side of the fence.
An unleashed unfenced Schipp is a dead Schipp.
And the puppies will drive you mad.
4 legged black monkey crossed with ferret.
They are not called the little black devil for no reason.

The good side:
They are funny happy clean long-lived hardy gentle little buggers.
They can grow to love children obsessively
They love their family beyond description, others not so much.
Some are extraordinary agility dogs..
After the age of four they are a joy and a delight .
If you do not have the fortitude for a pup, adopting an older Schipp would be suggested.
There are many Schipps in rescue, and there are a few...a very few, great breeders.
People who love them become obsessed with them and their quirks, similar to lovers of the quirky Shar-Pei.
Many people do not like them, preferring 'dog' dogs and think they look like pot-bellied pigs, which they do.
They are so unknown as a breed that I have been asked if the are cats.

I love Schipperkes

Someone in my rescue group said that no one should be allowed to own a Schipperke unless they had a sense of humor.
They are not everyone's cup of tea.
Unlike other breeds who want to please their owners, a Schipp wants their owner to please them.
And keep them amused.
They are incredibly smart but have little interest in exhibiting same unless it amuses them.
They are lap-dogs only as long as there is a hand scratching them.
They are rarely 'bad' but often naughty.
Many are wary of strangers, hence the 'standoffishness' label.
My experience with yappiness is that it responds most effectively to the spray bottle.
The do not like to be reprimanded harshly.
They will turn and walk away in a huff.
EVERYTHING is interesting.
Especially if it is on the other side of the fence.
An unleashed unfenced Schipp is a dead Schipp.
And the puppies will drive you mad.
4 legged black monkey crossed with ferret.
They are not called the little black devil for no reason.

The good side:
They are funny happy clean long-lived hardy gentle little buggers.
They can grow to love children obsessively
They love their family beyond description, others not so much.
Some are extraordinary agility dogs..
After the age of four they are a joy and a delight .
If you do not have the fortitude for a pup, adopting an older Schipp would be suggested.
There are many Schipps in rescue, and there are a few...a very few, great breeders.
People who love them become obsessed with them and their quirks, similar to lovers of the quirky Shar-Pei.
Many people do not like them, preferring 'dog' dogs and think they look like pot-bellied pigs, which they do.
They are so unknown as a breed that I have been asked if the are cats.

LOL, too funny We have 2 schipperkes and a Shiba inu
Mika finally gets in at 1:30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TIQow9YI3sc

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Since this thread was brought back up by someone... apparently a family member has a schipperke. I don't remember the dog looking anything like a schipperke, but apparently she "has papers" for it... it was bought by a deceased family member. They were trying to remember/spell out the breed for me, and I'm pretty sure it was schipperke they were getting at.

Though I'd bet it's not really a schipperke, from what I remember of it. :rofl1: Really, this was a useless post :p

I was actually just discussing taking the dog in

Sweet72947

Squishy face
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd add my two cents. :p

I have known a few Schipperkes. I knew one when I worked at FOHA, he was owned by a fellow employee. He would bark sideways. As in, the more he barked, the farther to the right he would turn his head. There's one that boards where I work now at the kennel named Cousteau. He's one of my favorites. He'll just sit in my lap and give me kisses and he'll be cuddled as long as you will cuddle him. Schipps tend to bond to once person very strongly and they are also just, odd little dogs. But odd in a good way. :) When I'm old and can't have big dogs, I might get a Schipperke. A pug is also on the list.

Members online

No members online now.