Pup not eating/antibiotics?

Hi everyone, I really need some of your advice with this. I know everyone hates Science Diet. However I am living in Germany and moving to Florida the very beginning of Dec and needed to get my pup on a brand sold in the states. (She was on the german brand "Happy Dog" which was great as far as she was concerned) So Tara has been switched to SD for pups till I can get to the States again and pick out a GOOD food for her. She also developed a UTI a few days before the the food switch.... She's been on Antibiotics for about a week now and for the last two days hasn't been interested in her food. Is it the food itself (Her not approving of the SD now that its not mixed with her old food anymore) or is it the antibiotics messing her up? She's also snoozing later in the morning but I was thinking that might be because the sun isn't up till later either.

She's a thin/trim looking pup. Not a fatty whatsoever and I worry about her losing weight or muscle. I personally struggle with my own unintentional weight-loss (a major reason to move home to the USA) so maybe I am worrying for no reason because of my own human issues...

milos_mommy

Why do you need to feed her something available in the US? There might be a good reason I'm missing, but if it's because you think you need to be mixing her foods during a switch or changing over slowly, most dogs do perfectly fine going from one food to another if it's a high quality food. I don't think there would be an issue with feeding her a high quality German dog food and then coming to the US and feeding her whatever good food you choose here.

That said, antibiotics do often cause a loss of appetite and nausea...maybe try cooking her some chicken and rice or something for a few days if you're really worried about her weight, but most dogs will be fine if they skip a few meals or aren't eating all their food.

If there's any vomiting or diarrhea, I'd take her back to the vet though...

Barb04

Super Moderator
I was going to say the same thing about staying with the food that agrees with her for now and just switching her over once you get to Florida.

Milo's Mom, I was just try to limit the amount of stress she would be going through by at least having a food she was familiar with. I'll wait and see though, like you said. Hopefully she just gets her appetite back naturally. If not then I'll get her back on the German brand. Thanks for the info though, I DID think (because I was always told by random people) that the transition from food to food has to be slow. If dogs are usually ok with it being switched abruptly, then so am I lol. What about puppies though? can they also switch foods abruptly with little/no problem?

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Usually the stomach issues caused by switching foods abruptly are caused by being fed the same food, and only the same food, for years, so the stomach can't process a different food and thus, IBS. It's the same thing with people though. I don't eat a lot of red meat or drink milk, but if I go out and eat a steak and have an ice cream, oh buddy, I'm going to pay for it, and dearly.

But things I eat a lot of, like chicken and fish, it doesn't matter HOW it's prepared, my stomach is used to chicken and fish, ect and I won't have any issues with the actual protein itself.

There's a name for this, but it's early, I'm tired, and I can't recall it, but I've successfully gotten dogs away from having such sensitive stomachs by feeding an incredible variety of foods and doing it often. Their stomachs learn to cope, and soon enough they've got cast iron stomachs for the most part and can eat anything I offer them. I mean, they do have their individual sensitivities, like for instance, my GSD doesn't tolerate bison or vension very well at all, but can have beef and lamb. My AussieX can't have anything with gluten in it. That's all an individual sort of thing though.

By and large, if you find something with the same type of protein and fat levels, or something as close as possible to her original brand, chances are, she'll be just fine. A few days gassy or slightly uncomfortable is much much better than eating Science Diet for a few weeks, in my opinion, especially if it's not something she needs because of a prescription diet. Like kidney or bladder stones.

It's far more likely to be the antibiotics than the food, IMO, and the world is not going to end if she's on science diet for another month or so until you get settled. I'd talk to your vet about what you can do to mitigate any side effects from the antibiotics rather than change the diet just to change it.

milos_mommy

I think usually the troubles from switching food come from switching to a higher quality food to something with a lot of fillers and junk in it.

Like, if you typically eat fast food and fried food and oreos and doritos and soda every day, and you start eating some grilled chicken and veggies and salad, you'll be fine, but if you usually eat really healthy and suddenly switch to a completely crap diet, you won't be able to stomach it.

Well I found a pet food store that sells "trial sizes" of Orijen here in rural Germany lol. I bought the TINY bag for 4 euros. I put the same amount of SD and Orijen in two separate bowls. Put both bowls on the floor and Ta-Da! She went straight for the Orijen and ate it ALL. She didn't (and WONT!) touch the Science Diet still. Obviously she wants the good stuff. When I get the larger bag of Orijen I'll be feeding this to her. I also found a store in Florida that is in the city where we'll be that has this food (and Fromm and others too!) I think Tara and I are in the clear ^_^ Thank you all for your advice and taking the time to read my questions. I'm sure I will have many more questions and situations in the future you all can guide me through!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.