Fast to mature

Pops2

i think most people say that because a significant MINORITY of the breed does mature slowly & they are just covering their bases.
most cur dogs mature early personality wise but then spend the next year learning to be good & focused on the job, so that from a working dogman's POV they are "slow to mature."

Filas usually mature -- behavior-wise -- quickly. They pretty much know what they are right out of the gate.

They typically hit their first heat at around six months.

Physically, females aren't matured, filled out, etc. until they're about two years old -- and you might not really see a total, physical specimen until you're between two and three years ; males a little longer.

But it hardly matters, lol. A seven month old Fila bitch is a load and a half ;)

Kharma stood off a 2000+ pound bull when she was six months old. OJ decided it would be less trouble to go AROUND the blackberry bramble instead of through the pathway where I was picking blackberries. Poor OJ, lol. Life was never the same, although the two of them developed a good working relationship over time.

I thought I remember RD and Sizzle saying that Mexidogs seem to mature mentally very quickly. But, that's more of a type than a breed I believe.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Teagan matured mentally pretty fast. When I compare the terriers we have had against the Bouviers we had the terriers for sure mature way faster.

Teagan for sure matured a lot faster then Mitus, even though Mitsu was only 10 months at that age Teagan was already many steps ahead of her.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Ozzys mature quickly. He was pretty set by fourteen months old. Personality and body. Enzos mature slowly. More around three or four. And they still dont have brains. Indys are pretty matuee at two but Im slowly giving up hope that Knoxs will ever mature. Lol

Red.Apricot

I thought Elsie was there, but the last couple weeks she's going through this second/third puppy-hood thing and I'm not down at all.

Counter surfing, trash-can dumping, laundry-raiding all around badness. Oh, joy.

She's almost 2.

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
Basenji's are physically pretty much mature around 18 months... I do not believe they every grow up though :D

Menchi is still physically maturing... her stature has gotten more solid over the last few months and she is about 14 months now. Mentally she has not changed much since about 10 months. She is a seriously laid back dog most of the time.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Golden Ditzhunds (Kim) mature early ;) Swear that dog was 4 months going on 12 years when I got her. Could have been life experience as much as anything else though.

FCR people would probably shoot me for saying this but Mira was extremely mature even at 10 weeks. Serious, work-oriented, and with a scary long attention span.

But I suppose it's all in how you define maturity. If you're one to say maturity. By some definitions none of my dogs are mature and I endeavor to keep them that way.

Romy

Taxiderpy
In general, it seems like small/toy breeds tend to mature (physically and mentally) a lot earlier than large breeds. Strider finally put on his last inch of height between his 3rd and 4th year. Mentally he matured around 2.

kady05

I think it really depends on the individual dog. I swear that Wilson was born with an "adult" frame of mind.. I call him my "old soul".

Piper and Sako however, ALL puppy still. Piper will be 3 in Nov, Sako will be 2.

Lyzelle

Zander's mind kicked in right at a year old. Before then it was all play play play, brat, brat, brat.

He didn't physically mature until around 4-5. First three years were all long and lean and leggy....fourth and fifth year, his chest widened and deepened....his whole body seemed to deepen, really. He got surprisingly big/stout for a Sibe, just another reason I think he's actually Malamute.

Aleron

But I suppose it's all in how you define maturity. If you're one to say maturity. By some definitions none of my dogs are mature and I endeavor to keep them that way.
I definitely think it depends on how you define "mature". I find Labs and Goldens are very slow to mature. I also find Belgians to be slow to mature. But in very different ways. As a whole Labs and Goldens tend to retain juvenile characteristics pretty much forever and I think because of that, they can act like real puppies (destructive, short attention spans, etc) for their first few years. And those can be some trying time. At 3 months some Belgian puppies are already less juvenile acting than some middle ages Labs, thinking thoughts that never crossed the mind of many Goldens such as "I don't think I want to be touched", "I don't like playing with strange dogs" and "It's mine and I might have to bite if you try to take if from me". But their character can take 3-4 years to fully develop, for you to really see the dog's full potential and "adult behavior". And in between, there sure can be some trying times too but in very different ways.

Barbara!

Chevelle, my APBT, was always mature. Always. I have never had bratty issues with her.

Baloo, my lab/pit bull mix, however, I don't think he ever will. He is 8 months and SUCH a brat sometimes!

Miakoda

Do APBTs ever grow up? LOL.

I am one of those that believe the APBT is "slow to mature" physically, especially considering its size as a medium-sized breed, but mentally.....I'm not sure they ever grow up. o_O

Paige

Let it be
I find Border Collies have a very serious side to them young but I don't think they all mentally mature fast. Just that they can switch on and take play/work very serious at a young age. No stamina with it though. Their brain melts to mush again pretty quick.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I definitely think it depends on how you define "mature". I find Labs and Goldens are very slow to mature. I also find Belgians to be slow to mature. But in very different ways. As a whole Labs and Goldens tend to retain juvenile characteristics pretty much forever and I think because of that, they can act like real puppies (destructive, short attention spans, etc) for their first few years. And those can be some trying time. At 3 months some Belgian puppies are already less juvenile acting than some middle ages Labs, thinking thoughts that never crossed the mind of many Goldens such as "I don't think I want to be touched", "I don't like playing with strange dogs" and "It's mine and I might have to bite if you try to take if from me". But their character can take 3-4 years to fully develop, for you to really see the dog's full potential and "adult behavior". And in between, there sure can be some trying times too but in very different ways.
I always hear stuff about retrievers being extra destructive but have never seen it as being any more likely than any other type. Seems like most just ended up in the hands of "overdogged" people...a common retriever affliction. Possbly partly because they are less likely to get weird about being touched and such everyday phenomena, as you mentioned.

Course there's always exceptions. Such as a 10yo very active and worked fcr who still raids the garbage. On the other hand Mir's had the unsupervised run of the house since she was 2yo and is super. :dunno:

Members online

No members online now.