So you think you want a Malinois...

jenv101

Bite Club
He out grew it when he was about a year old.

Of course that's also when he discovered girls. ;)
LOL! Ok so two more months to go... by then the snow will be here and he won't have anything to eat outside anyways. Maybe that will kick him of the habit!

oakash - Yeah he has a really smooth, short coat. Its so soft and shiny :)

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
Actually, now that I think back on it, I remember there was some training involved in getting him to kick the habit. A few discussions regarding rules and who was really in charge of his world.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
I gotta ask...do other malinois enjoy doing things like standing with both front feet on your head while you're trying to sleep or using you as a launching pad when you sit on the couch as much as mine do?

jenv101

Bite Club
Actually, now that I think back on it, I remember there was some training involved in getting him to kick the habit. A few discussions regarding rules and who was really in charge of his world.
He has learned "out" which he will do sometimes for rocks... but other times he'll just swallow them :rolleyes:

I gotta ask...do other malinois enjoy doing things like standing with both front feet on your head while you're trying to sleep or using you as a launching pad when you sit on the couch as much as mine do?
:rofl1:

Riley isn't allowed on furniture so he hasn't tried those things yet. He will stick his nose in my face or plant one paw on/near my head when he wants to get up in the morning though!

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
He has learned "out" which he will do sometimes for rocks... but other times he'll just swallow them :rolleyes:
Tyr's issue with eating inappropriate items went deeper than just training an "out". It was a subtle rebellion against my desire to put some rules into playing with balls/tugs. He'd be all over his ball until I asked for him to bring it back to me. Then he'd lose all interest in his toy and go off to find other things to play with - broken glass, aluminum cans, etc.

When I finally realized his loss of interest in the toy wasn't a drive issue but was a "screw you and your rules, I'll go find my own toys" issue, I laid down new rules - You either play with my toy and follow my rules or you don't play at all - he quit with the dangerous stuff and was thrilled to play fetch.

Riley isn't allowed on furniture so he hasn't tried those things yet. He will stick his nose in my face or plant one paw on/near my head when he wants to get up in the morning though!
Sounds close enough to the same. :rofl1:

jenv101

Bite Club
Tyr's issue with eating inappropriate items went deeper than just training an "out". It was a subtle rebellion against my desire to put some rules into playing with balls/tugs. He'd be all over his ball until I asked for him to bring it back to me. Then he'd lose all interest in his toy and go off to find other things to play with - broken glass, aluminum cans, etc.

When I finally realized his loss of interest in the toy wasn't a drive issue but was a "screw you and your rules, I'll go find my own toys" issue, I laid down new rules - You either play with my toy and follow my rules or you don't play at all - he quit with the dangerous stuff and was thrilled to play fetch.
Ahhh I see. I think Riley's issue is mostly boredom combined with a love of chewing. Unless I am out there with him doing something that involves him, he will wander off and find things to chew on. Sometimes he'll chew on an antler/nylabone, but he gets bored with those too!

stafinois

Professional Nerd

He used to, but we've really worked with him on at least attempting to be conscious of stepping on and running into people since we have a small child in the house. It's helped some, but not entirely. I still hold my breath when both Syd and Harry attempt the stairs at the same time.

Once Harry did go shooting off the back of the couch just as Syd was running by, and the collision occurred in midair. Fortunately Syd wasn't hurt too badly, but boy was she mad!

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
He used to, but we've really worked with him on at least attempting to be conscious of stepping on and running into people
How'd you go about doing that? I've been trying for a couple years with no success...and the timing is near impossible, they're so fast. :rolleyes:

jenv101

Bite Club
Riley enjoys walking right in front of me and then stopping in my way, and looking at me like, "well, aren't you coming? what's the hold up?"

stafinois

Professional Nerd
How'd you go about doing that? I've been trying for a couple years with no success...and the timing is near impossible, they're so fast. :rolleyes:

To be honest, a lot of it I think that he did on his own. He was naturally careful when Syd was a little baby, like he knew. As she gets bigger and sturdier, he gets less careful. I used an e-collar for the rest. The **** dog is collar smart, which actually comes in handy. Every few months he starts getting bad about it again, we just make him wear the e-collar (not charged or turned on) in the house for about a week and he gets back into the habit of being a dog with manners again. It's actually time to do it again. He took out my husband the other day going after the cat. If I worked with him more, we probably wouldn't need to do this as often.

misfitz

Ruddy Buttinski
Well, this thread has really made me want a...border collie. LOL. Great Mal stories, though! Those of you with toy-destoyers might want to check out this company:

Aussie Dog - Animal enrichment products, Enriching the lives of animals all over the world

They make toys for dogs, and also for zoo animals, like lions and bears. Maybe some of those would be Mali proof! I found the link when I was looking for interactive toys for my Sheltie mix, who isn't much for chewing but must have taken some lessons from a Mal somewhere about being an escape artist. :)

jenv101

Bite Club
Riley got to chase a bunny this morning (its usually only out at night) and was racing around the yard like a maniac, the bunny headed for the gate (space underneath to escape) and Riley ran smack headfirst into the bushes that run along side it. :rofl1: Made my morning.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest

I actually have a very good visual of that. Maybe because I've seen such things myself...I'm sure Riley wasn't at all bothered by it. :D

jenv101

Bite Club
Yeah he didn't seem to care, took him a few seconds to get up though, as he was going pretty fast, and there is a wire fencing around the bottoms of the bush. Silly boy :)

Members online

No members online now.