The Gas! The Gas!

Oh dear God, Grimmy is about to choke me out of the apartment. He has the worst smelling gas ever, and it's pretty much all day long. They're the little silent sneak attack farts that about make your eyes water.
He was on Science Diet when he came home last Monday, and is now on TOTW, the fish formula. No decrease in the poots, though he seems to like the food better.
He is pug mixed, and I've heard that pugs are notorious for their gag inducing farts. I've never been around pugs before, so maybe someone can confirm?
I've been giving him some yogurt, which has gone over quite well and made Argon jealous (even though he gets the same thing- silly boy! :p )
Any other suggestions? Grimm would love to have some bed time, but he about kills me.

Oh dear God, Grimmy is about to choke me out of the apartment. He has the worst smelling gas ever, and it's pretty much all day long. They're the little silent sneak attack farts that about make your eyes water.
He was on Science Diet when he came home last Monday, and is now on TOTW, the fish formula. No decrease in the poots, though he seems to like the food better.
He is pug mixed, and I've heard that pugs are notorious for their gag inducing farts. I've never been around pugs before, so maybe someone can confirm?
I've been giving him some yogurt, which has gone over quite well and made Argon jealous (even though he gets the same thing- silly boy! :p )
Any other suggestions? Grimm would love to have some bed time, but he about kills me.
Some random thoughts/suggestions:

a.) He's a recent foster, right? Maybe he's still somewhat stressed? Some dogs take longer to chill out.

b.) Do you have any info on his background, from the rescue or shelter through which you are fostering? Maybe they have some medical background on any digestive issues he may have?

c.) Maybe it's the food change ... although you do have him on a much better food. Some dogs take longer to adjust.

d.) Have heard that TOTW is too rich for some dogs' digestive systems, and it's sort of a trial-and-error thing to find out. Maybe he's one of those dogs?

e.) Have heard that this is a frequent problem with Pugs, Boston Terriers, Bulldogs, even some Pit Bulls. Perhaps the bully breeds have more sensitive stomachs than other breeds? With Pugs, Bostons, and Bulldogs ... could be their facial structure. Would imagine they would naturally swallow much more air while eating.

f.) Maybe ask the rescue or shelter's vet for some probiotics? Or if that fails perhaps the vet can give some simethicone to calm his gas?

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Some pugs, not all, have gross gas. They do ingest more air when they eat but it shouldn't be room clearing if their tummy isn't upset. Try a powder acidophilus from the people health food store, about 1/4-1/2 teaspoon per day should do it. Sometimes squash or sweet potatoes work well for this too.

Give him a bit to settle in with the food, if the noxious fumes don't clear up in a couple weeks you might have to try a different food for him.

MicksMom

You've gotten good suggestions on what might be causing the gas. Now, to get you through it, you can give him an activated charcoal tablet. I found them in the local health food store.

Amanda885

aw no fun! have you thought of changing diet? charcoal tablets do work wonders...good luck!

Members online

No members online now.