Food to put weight on my Husky

Tazwell

Kenna is my foster-- I've posted about her before. Not eating, seizing, you know, the normal stuff :rolleyes:

Anyway, she's living well with HypoParaThyroidism, and she takes calcium twice daily, and Vitamin D every 4 days. She's doing really great, she's stable now. She's had her first set of shots, and she's due for her boosters next month. Then we can get her spayed, if she's gained enough weight.

And that's the problem, she won't gain weight. She's eaten a ton of different things-- Blue Buffalo, Canidae, Natural balance, Prescription SD food, and a few other things. But she mainly sticks to the Canidae.

Now that she's at my house, she's only eating Canidae, I don't give her a choice. Her old foster parent used to put out different bowls of food out, and let her free-feed. Well, that's not something we do at my house.. She barely ate anything that way. Anyway, she's eating the canidae really steadily now, she gets fed twice a day. She eats plenty, at least her recommended amount, if not, more.

I want to switch her to something that will fatten her up more. Any suggestions? Can you switch to something fattier, without losing vast amounts of quality?

She did weigh 25 lbs, and she's a full grown 1.5 year old Husky. Now she weighs 31lbs.

milos_mommy

Satin balls!!!

(lol, google them. That's what Mayasmydobe is using to put weight on Maya.)

borzoimom

Couch Pototoe City
Adding organ meat- like chicken livers, or beef liver, or a little canned mackarel. The livers helps with building the b vitamins which helps with muscle building. The canned mackarel is rich in Omega 3 and 6 but as well helps support the immune system. I would also suggest you add vitamin C. This also helps alot. At 30 pounds I would give about 100 mg. Being a water soluable vitamin, its best to give at night as it will pass in the urine. That way its in the body the longest. To increase her D vitamins you can add yogurt as well. It also has digestive enzymes.
I feed a raw diet but Canidea is a good food as well.

R

RedyreRottweilers

It is important to note that while canned mackeral is very good on occasion, it is also quite high in sodium and so may not be appropriate for dogs with any cardiac or kidney issues.

It is important to balance any raw meat fed with an appropriate amount of raw bone or substitute. Meat is higher in phosphorus, and needs the balancing minerals of Calcium and Magnesium found in bone.

A simple inexpensive substitute is ground eggshell. You want 1/2 teaspoon of finely ground eggshell for each pound of boneless meat fed.

:)

Tazwell

It is important to note that while canned mackeral is very good on occasion, it is also quite high in sodium and so may not be appropriate for dogs with any cardiac or kidney issues.

It is important to balance any raw meat fed with an appropriate amount of raw bone or substitute. Meat is higher in phosphorus, and needs the balancing minerals of Calcium and Magnesium found in bone.

A simple inexpensive substitute is ground eggshell. You want 1/2 teaspoon of finely ground eggshell for each pound of boneless meat fed.

Ah yes, that's another issue. When her calcium went too high, she sustained Kidney damage. We're not yet sure how extensive, but she hasn't been outwardly affected, yet.

Thanks for the replies! I'm going to try the Satin balls, I guess. Sounds good!

Now, should I feed that along with Canidae, or just alone, as a complete diet? Do I need to add anything else? This is the recipe I came up with first on Google: http://www.njboxers.com/satin-balls-recipe.htm

ETA: Just to be sure, there's no problem with feeding Raw Ground Hamburger meat? I've always been wary of ground hamburger, although I know dogs aren't affected by the same bacteria we are. I've never really looked into raw feeding any further than Nature's Variety :rolleyes:

borzoimom

Couch Pototoe City
The canned mackarel we get is only 11 percent salt and that is for the whole can. There is more salt in kibble dog food than that. I use it because its great to boast the immune system. and adding a little cranberry ( like the capsules) helps alot with the kidneys.

maple

Queen of the Jungle
You should probably feed the satin balls and kibble seperately.
The other thing to note, is vitamin C is good, water soluble, so you can't overdose, but if you *do* feed too much, it can give the dogs the runs. :)
You could also give the dog a good fish oil supplement -NOT cod liver oil.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Hmmm... I googled Satin Balls because I was curious and found this page... what do you think? I printed off a recipe for it because I may try it out, but what I may end up doing is making smaller portions as a snack or something for Bamm... This website doesn't agree that Satin Balls should not be a complete diet. What are your opinions?

Here's the link I found http://www.metrocast.net/~randall/satinballs.htm

Shadow945

I know that depending on the dog TOTW can help the pet lose or gain weight - also depends how much you give the pup, like all food. But at least if its grain-free you know they aren't gaining weight on food with a ton of fillers, but actual nutritious ingredients.

borzoimom

Couch Pototoe City
Cranberry helps the kidneys keep the tract clean so it helps dispel what can build up. Keeping the kidneys flushed helps alot and the cranberry helps.
I have no idea what type of mackarel you use but we use the uh " cheap" type and its no where near that much sodium. As a matter of fact, my husband has a heart condition and due to the low sodium as well as what we found out with femka, so low in sodium to cause a problem.
Its only a little bit, but its up to the original poster and their vet if that would help or be a good additive. If the dog had kidney problems before, I am surprised the dog is not on one of the foods for kidney. ( KD diet type..)
And with this condition the support of the immune system is what is going to help here.

R

RedyreRottweilers

I still do not understand how the cranberry helps kidney function. What builds up in the urinary tract? How does cranberry help with this? My understanding of the use of Cranberry and the urinary system is that it is thought through ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE ONLY that Cranberry helps to acidify the urinary tract and prevent lower urinary tract infections. I have never heard of any thought that cranberry helps the kidneys in any way. So I am quite interested in this information if you can direct me to it.

Also, I'm very interested in what brand of Mackerel you are using, as I have not been able to find any that has less sodium. I have also never heard of mackerel as an immune system booster, so would also be interested if you could please direct me to that information as well.

According to Lew Olson, PhD Natural Health, LMSW-ACP,

http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/the-immune-system/

For under active immune systems (as in the case of after an illness, vaccination or stress) there are many immune enhancing nutrients that can be given to the dog. These can include zinc, selenium with vitamin E, vitamin B-6 (pyrodoxine) and linoleic acid. Also helpful are vitamin C, bioflavonoid with quercitin, vitamin A and betacarotene, B-Complex, , acidolphilus and bifidus and animal based essential fatty acids such as fish oil.
Vitamin C, E and A, along with the mineral selenium are all antioxidants. The idea is that they will destroy the free radicals that form in the bloodstream that multiple during times of lowered immunity. Zinc has also been noted as deficient in dogs with immune related problems. The B complex vitamins are good for stress, and helping with nerves and brain function. The good bacteria, such as acidolphilus and bifidus are depleted during times of illness (and drug use) and are necessary for good digestion and production of vitamin K. Lastly, the essential fatty acids are some natural anti-inflammatory agents, and help regulate and promote good immunity.

There are also several immune supportive herbs. Some good immune-boosting herbs include echinacea, Goldenseal, red clover, dandelion, burdock, cats claw, essiac tea, suma and astralagus. The most effective administration for dogs is a glycerine-based tincture.

As I have noted in other articles, a fresh food diet, either raw or home cooked is the best defense for dogs with the potential of a compromised immune system, either autoimmune or under active. The additions of fresh foods help the dog more readily assimilate nutrients and build a healthy immune system. Dry dog foods are harder to digest and due to the processing, are more prone for the body to develop antigens against the cooked and often preserved ingredients. Fresh food is of higher bioavailability, allowing more energy for the body to fight invading bacteria and viruses, and create and maintain a strong immune system.

Until more research and treatments are discovered for immune problems, the best method to keep your dog healthy is prevention. This would include good nutrition, avoiding unnecessary chemical use in the home and yard, minimal vaccinations and avoiding unnecessary use of antibiotics. Other important factors include routine physical exercise and using common sense to keep your dog’s stress levels low. Dogs that are being shown or working need the best nutrition available, along with routine rests and playtime.

Mayasmydobe

I'm PAWMAZING!
yes, definatly Satin Balls!

here is the recipe that I am using. (I cut it in half, and i have a freezer FULL of satin balls)
I make them about the size of a small fist. like, I can completely cup my hands around it.

10# hamburger meat
1 jar wheat germ
1 lg box of oatmeal (uncooked)
1 1/4 Cup vegetable oil
10 eggs
10 sm pkgs unflavored gelatin
1 1/4 Cup unflavored molasses
A pinch of salt
1 lg box Total cereal (2lb's)
(You may also add a pinch of garlic powder to add flavor)

Mix all ingredients together well, much like a meatloaf....put into separate freezer bags and freeze, thawing out as needed. It puts weight on in a very short time, not to mention the gloss in their coat. You can use it every day when they have a show to do and it does not produce diarrhea. It can be fed alone or with kibble.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I still do not understand how the cranberry helps kidney function. What builds up in the urinary tract? How does cranberry help with this? My understanding of the use of Cranberry and the urinary system is that it is thought through ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE ONLY that Cranberry helps to acidify the urinary tract and prevent lower urinary tract infections. I have never heard of any thought that cranberry helps the kidneys in any way. So I am quite interested in this information if you can direct me to it.
I don't know how true it is, but I've always heard cranberries are good for the kidneys. Not only from just others in general, but from doctors as well. I don't know the exact reasons for it at all, but it seemed to help my mother with her kidneys.

But like I said, I don't know the exact reasons for this or how true it is. That's just what I've been told.

goldiefur

I have heard that raw ground beef has to be frozen for 24 hours before you can feed it to dogs. I would wait for a response from the more knowledgeable people here before you give the satin balls. Your dog is beautiful.:)

R

RedyreRottweilers

ground meats should be properly handled and kept cold as they can grow large amounts of bacteria fast if not, however, freezing is not necessary.

Mayasmydobe

I'm PAWMAZING!
ground meats should be properly handled and kept cold as they can grow large amounts of bacteria fast if not, however, freezing is not necessary.

Thats why when I made them, I put all but what I would need the next day into the freezer. the three that I didnt put into th freezer went int the refridgerator.

Before I go to bed each night, I pull out three more from the freezer and put them into the fridge. So that they stay cold, but thaw out for her to eat.

borzoimom

Couch Pototoe City
I don't know how true it is, but I've always heard cranberries are good for the kidneys. Not only from just others in general, but from doctors as well. I don't know the exact reasons for it at all, but it seemed to help my mother with her kidneys.

But like I said, I don't know the exact reasons for this or how true it is. That's just what I've been told.
Yea cranberry has long been noted to be great for kidney and urinary health.

SharkyX

Back of the Pack
Yea cranberry has long been noted to be great for kidney and urinary health.
In humans or in dogs?
Systems are different and things good for us aren't necesarily good for them.
I'd love to see somewhere it says that cranberries are good for a dogs kidney.

Members online

No members online now.