Joint Supplements

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
What do you give your dogs?

I've been thinking about switching Kiba to a different level of GlycoFlex (she's currently taking the II) or to one of Dr. F&S other Joint Care formulas. With possibly adding another dog onto it, one of the F&S ones would be cheaper in the long run.

Thoughts?

Saeleofu

Logan gets Cosequin because it's free, but I'll soon be switching to Dasuqin...because it's free.

Gavroche gets Osteo Bi-Flex because it's cheap and seems to work really well.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Does it honestly really matter what brand one goes with? Or should I be looking for certain ingredients?

xpaeanx

When it comes to myself, my animals, and my family I look solely at two things: ingredients and tolerance. Brand means nothing to me and I often opt for generic to save $.

I use those expensive liver soft chews from vetri-science. Why? Bc Muffin likes to eat them. To him, it's treat time not med time. So it has great tolerance and the ingredients I want... I've tried others including cheaper soft chews... It wasn't as positive of an expierence for him, since I do this every day... I just buy him what he likes. If he took pills better, I'd buy the cheaper pills.

Glucosamine, chondroitin, or MSM are a few of the ideal dietary additives that stimulate joint health and help reduce inflammation (MSM is a form of sulfur which helps reduce the likelihood of flea and ticks latching on for a ride).

Saintgirl

I have been researching joint supplements like mad over the past two weeks. So I am glad that I decided to pop back into Chaz for a peek to see what people are using here. There are no peer reviewed studies that conclusively agree that glucosamine and chondritin are effective at relieving pain, reducing damage, or even preventing damage. Yet every vet I speak to is firm that my old arthritic dog should be on a supplement of glucosamine (which she is but only because I will try anything!). I do use omega oils which I feel work better than most supplements even for joints. Abbey who is 11 now has bad arthritis in her spine. She has the hips of a 4 year old and the drive of one too...but her back is terrible. Slowly we are taking her off of her steroids but will have to keep her on pain management for the rest of her life...Has anyone used any of the light therapy for sore joints? Anyone have any good (peer reviewed) studies that indicate the benefits of glucosamine? Any other tips that might help us out? It kills me to see my husky girl fighting old age and we will do anything to keep her comfy!

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
I have been researching joint supplements like mad over the past two weeks. So I am glad that I decided to pop back into Chaz for a peek to see what people are using here. There are no peer reviewed studies that conclusively agree that glucosamine and chondritin are effective at relieving pain, reducing damage, or even preventing damage. Yet every vet I speak to is firm that my old arthritic dog should be on a supplement of glucosamine (which she is but only because I will try anything!). I do use omega oils which I feel work better than most supplements even for joints. Abbey who is 11 now has bad arthritis in her spine. She has the hips of a 4 year old and the drive of one too...but her back is terrible. Slowly we are taking her off of her steroids but will have to keep her on pain management for the rest of her life...Has anyone used any of the light therapy for sore joints? Anyone have any good (peer reviewed) studies that indicate the benefits of glucosamine? Any other tips that might help us out? It kills me to see my husky girl fighting old age and we will do anything to keep her comfy!
im not certain where tehres anything PROVING the benefit, but i know that theres no proven negatives to it, and it may very well help immensely, and if it doesnt, no harm done. a Corgi mentor of mine told me to make sure my joint supplement has hyaluronic acid in it as well, which most human joint stuff does, and i think cosequin does as well

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
I also have my old girl on Duralactin. Between that and putting Kiba on GlycoFlex II, she went from a dog who half the time didn't want to come downstairs and go out to potty to a 9yo dog that runs around the house like a 2yo.

I'm gonna switch them to the cheaper F&S and see how they do on that, and if I see any changes back to the GlycoFlex.

Members online

No members online now.