Let's see what you think (breed recommendations)

GoingNowhere

Yep, I've seen retrievers of both types as well. I don't know what it is that just doesn't draw me to them. I was watching a neighbor's lab for a few days and she was wonderful, but not what I think of when I think of my future dog if you know what I mean. For a while I thought it was just because labs and goldens are so darn common in this area that I was just overlooking them, but with labs at least, I think it's more than that. All of the labs that I've met are goofy, gallumphing, mushy dogs that are a pleasure to petsit, but not really "me." They've all been fetchaholic, tail wagging so hard that it wipes everything off of the coffee table, "OMG PEOPLE!" kind of dogs. I love it for a bit, but I don't think I'd want to live with it. The goldens I've met have had similar base personalities, but have all been a little less physical and a little gentler in their actions (ie bouncing around you rather than bouncing into you).

Maybe I have a mixed set of standards. I definitely want a dog with a solid temperament that enjoys or at least tolerates people, but I prefer the "quietly makes the rounds from person A to person B and so on and then comes back and sits by me" type of dog. I could for sure handle varying amounts of enthusiasm in meeting strangers (from the "I could care less" to the "you're pretty cool!"), but I don't like terribly "physical" dogs. Obviously, I know a lot is in the training, but from my experience, some dog breeds tend to be more graceful and "space aware" than others.

Aleron

Greys can be good with other animals indoors but IME they aren't always very tolerant of children, especially younger children. Shilohs definitely don't have the sort of temperament you described. Early cancer is fairly common in Berners but otherwise, they would probably fit your criteria. There are also Entlebuchers, which have a bit more "oomph" then the larger Swiss Mountain breeds and are not as large. I would say a Smooth Collie but they can be barkers.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Spinones are going to be on the upper end of the energy scale, maybe not as bad as the retrievers, but they are pointers.
Spinones are MUCH more laid back than other pointers. They're classed as a pointer because they point, but they're more of an all purpose bird dog that does retrieves, etc. They're also bred to work a lot more closely with their handlers than most pointers (unlike GWP and GSP, etc.).

We originally wanted a spinone and couldn't find a breeder so Robert got a wirehaired pointing griffon (don't get one for an apartment!!!). While walking Charlie one day, I ran into an old man with a spinone. He got all excited and knew exactly what Charlie was. He said he'd had 4 griffons, and they were great bird dogs. But that after he got his first spinone he would never go back because the spinone did everything as well as the griffs did, only in slow motion. He was on his second, and just said that with him getting older he needed a hunting dog that worked at his pace. That fit right in with everything we'd heard about spinones while researching them.

Have you checked into gordon setters? They're a lot like a golden in temperament, but with more focus. They seem smarter to me, but maybe that's just because of the focus vs. the typical golden ditziness. lol. The ones I know are just perfect all around farm/family dogs that do great with all livestock and visitors, are loving with their family and civil/friendly to visitors without being in their faces.

Greys and other sight hounds can be very good with kids. If you're adopting an NGA greyhound then you want to make sure it's a dog that was tested or fostered in a home with children. Some greys love kids, some are indifferent. It's pretty typical for sight hounds raised around children/babies to like them, it's kind of a weird primitive dog thing I think. My borzois are even like that with baby animals. Even animals they would normally kill. Instead of seeing prey they get all starry eyed and go "OMG IT'S A BAAAABY!!" Of course not all would be, but I've heard that from other sight hound owners as well. If you can't find a rescue that fits you could always go with an adult AKC grey that's a breeder rehome or something, that was raised around kids.

Dekka

Just try me..
You have got some good replies but I will say it. Whippet! lol. An outgoing well bred whippet fills your list perfectly. They are the best weekend warrior types.

GoingNowhere

nope, haven't looked at gordons at all - but I will! :)

As for whippets, are they pretty similar to greys in temperament, but with a little more energy and a smaller size? Can they ever be trusted off leash if trained or are they like most sighthounds in that it's highly not recommended?

As for shilohs, thanks for letting me know. I've only ever met one in the shelter and he was a sweet dog, but mainly I'd just gone off of hearing that they're like dumbed down german shepherds... so less protective instinct and drive in general. I know someone with two rescue GSDs and they are good watchdogs, but aren't terribly territorial (so I figured a shiloh would be even less so), but being rescues, they could very well be atypical.

Aleron

As for whippets, are they pretty similar to greys in temperament, but with a little more energy and a smaller size? Can they ever be trusted off leash if trained or are they like most sighthounds in that it's highly not recommended?
I actually knew a Grey breeder who took her dogs for daily off leash walks when the weather was good. At least one was a FCH with very high prey drive. I would say that with training, they can be more reliable off leash than many of the Nordic breeds. Greys like their people and want to be with them, the main issue is that they are hard to recall off of prey. So you need to be careful about not having them loose where they may chase something into the road. But IME they are dogs who try to run away at every opportunity either. This is a really good blogpost about the subject from Never Say Never Greyhounds: NEVER SAY NEVER GREYHOUNDS: Off The Leash

As for shilohs, thanks for letting me know. I've only ever met one in the shelter and he was a sweet dog, but mainly I'd just gone off of hearing that they're like dumbed down german shepherds... so less protective instinct and drive in general. I know someone with two rescue GSDs and they are good watchdogs, but aren't terribly territorial (so I figured a shiloh would be even less so), but being rescues, they could very well be atypical.
Certain forms of "aggression" are part of the GSD breed. While there are some GSDs who may not have any form of aggression, one should not get the breed expecting them to be a docile, easy going dog who gets along with everyone and everything. GSDs have a high risk of same sex aggression towards dogs they live with, high risk of territorial aggression towards strange people and dogs and a high risk of becoming reactive on lead usually towards dogs. Early training, socialization are imperative to ensure your dog understands what is expected of them. Management is key, as well as acknowledging what the breed has been selectively bred for. The most common issues most pet owners and even many performance or show people complain about with the breed are on-leash aggression, fighting with housemates, not being social with strange dogs and not welcoming guests into the home. If you go to any GSD forum, you will often find people posting for advice with these issues.

As for Shilohs, they are not just big fluffy GSDs. They have at least Malamute added into the mix. And there was a lot of controversy in the 90s as to if they had wolf as well. IME with the breed founder (years ago I was on a forum with her), she would never really give a straight answer on that, so who knows. Much of the back information on Shilohs is fabricated, as they are not "the GSDs of yesteryear". Except that Shilohs are far from historically correct GSDs. Shilohs were not ever used as livestock guardians either, though I have seen websites make such claims. They originated from one breeder who bred oversized GSDs that she attempted to show in AKC conformation. When she didn't do well at that she decided to start her own breed - what a GSD was really supposed to be (in her mind any way).

I have not ever personally met a Shiloh with what I would consider to be a really sound temperament. Most are rather low drive but also rather fearful/reactive. Years ago a friend of mine went to one of their regional shows, extremely interested in getting a Shiloh. After seeing the temperaments the majority of the dogs had and after one (fairly well used stud dog at the time) went after her boyfriend, she decided the breed was not for her and ended up with Belgians. Someone brought one to my work once and while he seemed like a nice dog, she said he will attack men who try to interact too much with him and that is why she got him from the breeder for free :yikes: Someone at our training club got one and she did seem like a nice dog overall but was still young when that person moved away so I'm not sure how she would have turned out. As a whole, I get the impression the breed was mostly selected for size and looks.

Dekka

Just try me..
nope, haven't looked at gordons at all - but I will! :)

Whippets aren't very grey like. They are the least sight houndy of the sight hounds. Whippets were made by crossing greys to terriers and spaniels. I know MANY off leash whippets (including mine). Just takes training. The chase drive is really strong in some, but if you were to get a non racing bred one it shouldn't be any more than any other breed. (we lure course all breeds at the JRT fun days, most whippets are actually less chase motivated than other dogs)

They tend to be far more outgoing and into people, they can also be quite bouncy :)

As for Shilos I have met quite a few. They are nice dogs if you want big and hairy. VERY hairy in most cases. They do seem quite 'dumbed down' from what I see, quite low key dogs. They are great for people who want the look but not the drives. The ones I have met and got to know are very sound temperamented dogs (from good breeders who show and do things) I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one to someone who is looking for that sort of dog.

GoingNowhere

Thanks to the both of you. Will look into whippets. Also, I didn't include this in my original post because I sincerely doubt that I'll ever end up with a "rare" breed, but know anything about eurasiers? There's a thread on them already, but very few responses. I found out about them looking through a breed book after we got Boo (doing the whole "ooh, that one looks like Boo!"), but they seem pretty awesome, both in looks and temperament. Of course, unlike all the other breeds that interest me that I put on that list, I've never actually met one in person.

Aleron

Whippets aren't very grey like. They are the least sight houndy of the sight hounds. Whippets were made by crossing greys to terriers and spaniels. I know MANY off leash whippets (including mine). Just takes training. The chase drive is really strong in some, but if you were to get a non racing bred one it shouldn't be any more than any other breed. (we lure course all breeds at the JRT fun days, most whippets are actually less chase motivated than other dogs)
It is interesting that your experience is Whippets are less into lure coursing then other dogs. My experience is quite the opposite - at every LC trial I have gone to, whippets seem to be the overall craziest for the lure.

As for Shilos I have met quite a few. They are nice dogs if you want big and hairy. VERY hairy in most cases. They do seem quite 'dumbed down' from what I see, quite low key dogs. They are great for people who want the look but not the drives. The ones I have met and got to know are very sound temperamented dogs (from good breeders who show and do things) I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one to someone who is looking for that sort of dog.
The ones I have known have been well bred too, as was the one that tried to eat my friend's BF at a regional specialty. It's great that you have known some sound ones, hopefully they have been trying to improve on the freaky temperaments I tend to associate with the breed.

Members online

No members online now.