Extras

SpringerLover

I have a Golden Retriever in my possession. She's pretty much adorable. I really wish I could keep her, but she's being assessed on Monday as a potential Autism Assist Dog.

She's never lived in a house before but by golly is she a stable, go with the flow dog. Just some minor insecurities when we walked in the door... she's now exploring the whole place and checking in on her own.

Stable dogs... what a concept!

SpringerLover

She's naked as a jaybird right now, so pretty much my ideal amount of hair!

I don't have my good camera with me but I'll get pictures later.

She's coming to the autocross tomorrow so we'll see how she handles that as well.

SpringerLover

This is MY epitome of stable, sound, awesome dog. I texted Lauren while we were out for a hike with Buzz because I was in awe.

First, she's only been worked with by a force trainer. She failed out of gundog school because she couldn't take the pressure. Since then she hasn't really been worked at all (probably a year or more). I packed kibbles and my trusty clicker and we headed out for a hike.

I'm seriously amazed. She was super responsive after just a couple minutes on the trail, she was offering eye contact by the middle of the hike, and every time but one when I clicked she was at my hand. I realized I'd fed her from my right hand the whole hike so after I put Buzz in the car we wandered around the parking lot with her on my left side and I reinforced with my left hand. After just one attempt to get to my right hand after the click, she realized that whatever hand is presented has the food!

I really hope she impresses them as much as she's impressed me. Great in a crate, completely no reactive to other dogs, and has taken all these huge new things in stride without a blink.

I'll post a picture or two if I can get them off my phone.

This is MY epitome of stable, sound, awesome dog. I texted Lauren while we were out for a hike with Buzz because I was in awe.

First, she's only been worked with by a force trainer. She failed out of gundog school because she couldn't take the pressure. Since then she hasn't really been worked at all (probably a year or more). I packed kibbles and my trusty clicker and we headed out for a hike.

I'm seriously amazed. She was super responsive after just a couple minutes on the trail, she was offering eye contact by the middle of the hike, and every time but one when I clicked she was at my hand. I realized I'd fed her from my right hand the whole hike so after I put Buzz in the car we wandered around the parking lot with her on my left side and I reinforced with my left hand. After just one attempt to get to my right hand after the click, she realized that whatever hand is presented has the food!

I really hope she impresses them as much as she's impressed me. Great in a crate, completely no reactive to other dogs, and has taken all these huge new things in stride without a blink.

I'll post a picture or two if I can get them off my phone.
That's awesome! I love Goldens - especially sound, stable ones!

SpringerLover

Non-busy town was hard for her tonight. She's just never been exposed to these things before.

It makes me want to cry to see her like this. She is what I think of when I think "kennel dog." She hasn't been exposed to houses, cars, alarms, sidewalks... and while she's table underneath, she's really unsure about a lot of these new things.

I wouldn't be throwing anything at her if I didn't think she could handle it. Which is why we went into a very low-key town in the evening. Now we're back at my mom's house just chilling. She's exploring the house and asking for pets and being adorable! None the worse for the wear.

Tonight she learned about hand touches and was offering eye contact like a seasoned dog. (And she just flinched when Buzz laid down on his dog bed and it made some noises.)

SpringerLover

Well, they liked her enough to decide they want to see her out in public! Hooray little golden girl!

I gave them all the information I have and they evaluated her and despite her startling really easily, she showed them how quickly she recovers as well!

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
She sounds like a doll. Almost wish you could keep her just so we could see more of her...there is a serious retriever under-representation around here! But no matter what I hope all goes well with her. Glad you get to have fun together for now at least :)

SpringerLover

Tonight I left her gated in my bedroom while I showered (erm, soaked in a hot bath for a lot longer than anticipated...). Where do I find her when I finally return to my bedroom?

In her crate, like a good dog. With the door open and everything.

No protest, no toy destroying, no leaping on the bed (or if she did, she got back off again).

Wherever she goes, the people will be lucky! :)

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
She sounds like a doll. Almost wish you could keep her just so we could see more of her...there is a serious retriever under-representation around here! But no matter what I hope all goes well with her. Glad you get to have fun together for now at least :)
I told her that but she is being unreasonable (read: responsible) and won't listen to me!

Members online