Question for Herding dog owners

Bodi's Mom

Hylen's Bodacious Big Boy
The Beardie definitely seems like he is defending himself, more than playing with the Corgi. The Beardie is twice the size of the Corgi, so he can hold his own - when he has had too much, he will bark and growl (he was pretty much non-vocal before the Corgi arrived). The Beardie can also out-run the Corgi so there is a lot of chasing around the yard going on. My neighbors also work part-time, so intervention is not consistent. Thanks again for all the great info - this forum is soooo helpful!

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I would be hesitant to do this... If the corgi is naturally more dominant than the beardie, than upsetting that order will, IMO, cause problems. By trying to manipulate the hierarchy, it is very probable that the corgi would feel the need to prove that he in fact, is the dominant one. I think by doing that the beardie would be subject to bullying. As long as the corgi isn't full out bullying him, and the beardie doesn't seem distressed, I see no reason to intervene.

Just my 2 cents :)

~Tucker
I agree. Thats why it's so hard to give advice like this over the internet without being their and seeing the dogs actually interact with each other. If the Beardie is not bothered by what the Corgi is doing, and it's all fun and games, of course let it continue. :)

And I also agree that by doing what I stated it can mess up pack order ALOT. I've got one female here just like this - she's very dominate but only in making sure order is respected by the other dogs, so I don't mess with it.

But if it's a new dog (like the OP said) then I would be hesitant to let the Corgi's behavoir continue if he is dominating the Beardie and the Beardie doesn't like it. The Beardie was there first. :)

I also don't correct my dogs unless they are doing something wrong, like Laurelin was saying.

BostonBanker

Perhaps.. but if everyone is having a good time why would I correct it (even in a lab)?
I actually didn't say I would, and I wouldn't. Just that I feel like it's behavior that is tolerated and/or expected in herding breeds, that people with non-herding breeds generally put a stop to if they see it.

Meg will rarely play with other dogs, and when she does, it is always herding breeds. BCs are her favorite, because the circling/nipping/dashing stuff doesn't worry her. It's the body-slamming, physical type of play that she won't tolerate.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
The Beardie definitely seems like he is defending himself, more than playing with the Corgi.
That's entirely possible. But with the corgi being new, it could just be a matter of taking time for them to work out their relationship and learn what's acceptable and not from each other.

It's hard to say when to step in, but as long as the beardie is handling it OK and as long as there's no aggression, I'd let them work it out.

Cheetah

Fluffy Corgi Addict
Eevee and Shippo take turns herding each other, and nipping at each others' heels all the time. It's just how they play, and they do a great job of tiring each other out, so it's less running for me!

Members online

No members online now.