Muscle tone or lack thereof

pinkspore

Bat Ears Only
Ulysses does not have swollen lymph nodes after all, he just has a new crop of fatty tumors including a matching set under his arms. We're going to watch them for now and do needle biopsies if any of his bumps do anything interesting.

This was with my regular vet, who hadn't seen him before. She thought he was an absolute angeldog, as does everyone else who meets him because he absolutely oozes charisma and charm. The rescue vet that saw him in May thought he was around 5 years old, my vet thinks he's more 7-8.

We also discussed his weird movement, how he didn't run or trot or jump at first, how he climbs up onto things but doesn't jump. She stretched and manipulated him all over the place (which he absolutely loved!) and concluded that he is uber-flexible without any hesitation, so he's not in pain.

She agrees with my conclusion that he came out of the shelter with almost no muscle tone. He has been gradually improving, he leaps up my two front steps now and doesn't fall over nearly as often. He doesn't spin out when he turns around, and can sit for a while on a hard floor without all his legs sliding out to the sides. He is gradually becoming less clumsy and ridiculous.

So how does an eight year old dog end up with no muscle tone? He was in the shelter for about a month, is that long enough? The vet was thought he would have needed to be confined for much longer than that to end up this rubbery.

Members online

No members online now.