Fillers?

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Poor Cynder has started acting like she is ravenous. I don't know if it is a side effect of the medication she is on (metoclopramide) or not, but poor girl was hungry enough last night to try to lick some spaghetti sauce off a plate we had left on the end table while we were sitting there. She NEVER does this. Ever.

She gets medicated a minimum of 30 minutes before any meals - so, if I feed her twice a day she gets 10mg Famotidine and 5mg metoclopramide twice. If she eats once, she gets it once. During high stress times she gets 10mg Famotidine BID, and 5mg metoclopramide TID, regardless if she's fed at that time or not.

She's currently eating between 1.5-2 cans of canned Pro Plan Select Turkey and Sweet Potato recipe.

I'd like to help her feel "full" if I can, but I also can't have a large quantity of food sitting in her stomach, either. Since I'm currently not working I can feed her more often, but she hates being held up afterwards and I'm scared to really change what we're doing right now, because it's working and I don't want to throw her schedule out of whack.

Are there any types of foods that I could give her in small amounts that will help her feel satiated without actually "filling" up her stomach? She can eat small portions by mouth without needing to be vertical (granted, I don't know how frequently she can have them, but she gets a treat or two a few times a day and is just fine).

I'm just kind of stumped. Should I just feed her a small meatballs of her food throughout the day instead of a set mealtime? (Which I can do until I'm working again.) Is there anything I could maybe add to a morning meal that may give her a feeling of fullness for longer? I don't want to load her up with fiber (the POOP), but maybe a treat or food that is high in fiber that I can give her a meatball or two of between mealtimes?

Texture is a big thing and I try to stay away from hard, dense foods (like kibble/milkbones). Soft, mushy foods are best (even if they are formed), with easily crumbled "solid" foods being the next best. Canned foods that have rice in them are a no go - for whatever reason, it irritates her. She does keep down small amounts of bread, green beans, cookies, bits of pizza, small apple chunks, hotdogs, CheezIts...(she's cute and hungry, okay? :eek:)

Cynder says sitting upright after meals isn't so bad when she's on dad's lap and has a pillow to rest on, but she will still look sad and pathetic.

Saeleofu

Seconding canned green beans, except I get the "no salt added" kind so I don't have to rinse. Also canned pumpkin. Supposedly sweet potatoes come in a can unsweetened, but I've never been able to find them.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Canned pumpkin would be my suggestion, but it's bulky. I know my mom says that she finds things with protein more filling (she's hypoglycemic, so has to find stuff that fills her up without spiking her blood sugar), so perhaps something like cottage cheese?

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Thanks for the suggestions! I never even would have thought about cottage cheese, I have no idea why that didn't cross my mind. I'll have to play with some things and she how she responds.

Members online

No members online now.