"Do Not Pet" t-shirts?

Maxy24

Has anyone ever bought their dog any sort of clothing that tells people not to pet them? I sort of want to buy Tucker something for those occasions when people try to pet without asking first. I can find them from plenty of places but I'm always nervous about buying anything online and having it not fit right or be super low quality. Especially the shirts that have arms sticking out of the side instead of the bottom, that really bugs me, that's not where his arms go lol.
So I was just wondering if anyone had gotten them before and know of a good place with well fitting shirts. I want it to be easy to read without staring at the dog for several seconds (since he wouldn't like that very much) and don't want it to say he's in training or anything, just a simple do not pet or fearful do not pet message.

Locke

Honestly, I don't think the shirts are very effective at all.

People are daft as hell, and they WILL get close and stare before understanding the message. I also think a dog wearing a shirt is even more attractive to strangers because they look even cuter...

Just my thoughts, but I have no suggestions otherwise, sorry.

Gambit has one that has a large stop sign on it, and then the words 'Do Not Pet'. It works well, because even small children know what a stop sign means. Since we got it, there's probably been a 75% reduction in the number of people wanting to fondle him.

We also have "Do Not Pet, I am Working", but I hate to use that one because he could be confused with a service dog. Mom got it for him because he was working on his shyness and manners.

Maxy24

Well I'm actually thinking of using it more in the house when we have people over. I've never really had a lot of problems with people on the street, it's mostly when people come over, especially if there are multiple people (like there will be during the holidays) and I don't get to individually tell every single person to not touch the dog (or even when I do...I don't think they get that I mean the ENTIRE visit and because he's aggressive, they think just until he calms down or something). The only near bite incidents we've ever had have both been in the house (and they were near bite because he's always on leash with me if people are over).

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I've found nothing is fool proof but it's worth a shot. Honestly being hyper aware of your surroundings will help but always can be wearing on the dog as well.

I'd try a Tshirt, I think I saw a few on cafepress?

swabby

I have always wondered, IF heaven forbid...a dog wearing such a shirt did bite someone, if it would increase the owner's liability.

Maxy24

I have always wondered, IF heaven forbid...a dog wearing such a shirt did bite someone, if it would increase the owner's liability
Even if it did, it's not like we would have lied about it anyways. I know he's aggressive, my friends know he's aggressive, 90% of our extended family knows he's aggressive, it wouldn't be an easy fact to hide if anyone asked around.

I was looking at Cafepress and saw a few that were decent, I wish the lettering was a little bolder though, but I didn't finish looking. DINOS has one but it says "please give me space" and I don't know if that's really the message I want, he doesn't need a wide birth, you just can't try and touch him.

There are these as well:
http://www.zazzle.com/colorbulls/pet+clothing

But I don't think people would get the finger pushing the button as do not touch and I like the idea of a symbol, not just words. I know could with the caution sign, not sure if that's the best message to send though.

Maxy24

milos_mommy

I have always wondered, IF heaven forbid...a dog wearing such a shirt did bite someone, if it would increase the owner's liability.
Yes, it would.

I don't think it would help, especially in the house. Keep him crated or separated for the holidays unless you can leash and closely watch him.

I've never used Zazzle, but I've heard good things through the grapevine.

Gambit's shirt was homemade. I just got a white T-Shirt that fit him and a stop sign patch that was iron-on (Domestic skills? Nope, dont' have them!).

Maxy24

I don't think it would help, especially in the house. Keep him crated or separated for the holidays unless you can leash and closely watch him.
If he is separated he screams, barks, howls, and slams himself into doors/dig against them, it's not something we can have happen when we have company. He is ALWAYS leashed to me and I spend the entire time watching him closely when we have people over he does not already know. It's just annoying when you tell people like 5 times not to touch him, to ignore him, and they just do what they want. Though the near bite incident that occurred this summer has gotten around the family a bit and now certain people are terrified of him, which isn't what I wanted either. The only way that I could have prevented that incident was to have literally screamed at the person (since I told him to stop as he reached for Tucker (and had already told him several times earlier that he was not friendly and could not be pet) and he blatantly ignored me) or made physical contact with the person. Which I guess would have been better than risking a bite, it just goes against all of my social instincts. I had my guard down too, Tucker was laying quietly beside me eating bird seed off the ground, I was talking to the guy about random stuff, I had already very, very clearly explained to this guy earlier that Tucker was not friendly (my dad told him too), so I really didn't expect him to try and pet him. I just feel that maybe if there was a shirt with a big "do not pet" right where the person's hand would go it could have prevented something like that.

Honestly the only thing that would be 100% safe is me and Tucker locking ourselves in a room. He wouldn't be silent (he'd go off every time he heard their voice-we did this over the summer when my brother had people over, the poor dog looked like he was having a 4 hour long anxiety attack the entire time people were here and they weren't even on the same floor as us. He paced and panted the entire time and if he heard a voice he barked his head off. I gave him a doggy frozen yogurt but he wouldn't eat it, I was on the verge of tears by the end of the night) but he'd be better than if he were by himself, and he couldn't hurt anyone. But then I'd miss the entire party, which is fine for certain things, but not really Christmas. but if I had to choose between confining him by himself (even if no one could hear him) and missing the party to be with him, I'd miss the party. I honestly think confining him by himself in the house while he knows there are strangers there is akin to torture, I think he'd hurt himself trying to get out.

This Christmas we are probably only having people he knows over anyways...my grandparents and one of my aunts, so I don't think it's going to be a huge issue this year. We rotate the "big family Christmas" through all of the aunts+uncles and we are not hosting this year.

I don't know, we just want to try and keep people safe while still trying to enjoy the parties. He is fairly calm if he's leashed and people ignore him, a lot calmer than if he can't watch the people, but it's obviously less safe to have him out than to have him confined.

Maxy24

I have been working on getting him used to a muzzle, not a baskerville, just a regular basket muzzle. It was going pretty well actually, but then I went back to school. I will continue with it whenever I'm home. I want to cut it a bit so it's easier to get treats in, but I'm not sure what I could cut out that would allow easy treat giving without compromising the muzzle's function. Maybe I should just buy the baskerville, it doesn't look too expensive. If I can get him used to it though, that would be a good idea. He could be out, leashed, and be unable to bite anyone if there was an accident. I'll make working on the muzzle our main focus when I'm home.

milos_mommy

I actually thought of a muzzle after my last post. I think it sounds like the safest option, and what he'd be most comfortable in.

Honestly, without a muzzle, I wouldn't want to risk it. People have thick heads, think the dog will love them anyway even if he's scared of everyone else, don't listen, etc...and they also think because he's small they can handle a bite without potentially needing stitches or anything.

And, as someone who worked at a personal injury law firm, don't think for a second just because someone is a family member or friend that they won't sue you for a dog bite.

If I was in your position, I'd try to keep him separate, whether crated in the room, or even kept outside or in a garage for a short time...or possibly sedate him in another room, if it's just a once-a-year thing.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I really like the look of these leash badges!
Hmmm do you think people would notice these? For a long time I have wanted some type of "do not pet" thing for Juno.... but I don't have anything to attach a badge or something to. Soo I like the concept of these leash badges but I can't decide if people would actually even see it or not.

This is really directed to anyone to give an opinion on lol I knowyou haven't used one Fran :p

Members online

No members online now.