SAVAGE on RAW!

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
Caiza is like a frenzied shark going after it's prey eating the RAW :yikes: ! I love that he enjoys it so much but I can't even break it up to put in his dish (he is eating the venison NV patties) I am literally hand feeding him the meat and he doesn't even chew just swallows! He is so crazy for the raw. I am glad I made the switch but he is a wicked gulper. Anyone else have issues when feeding the raw?

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
All of our dogs wait (albeit very impatiently) until the food is in their dishes, but they do dance for their meals, especially since we've added so much variety and especially when that meals consists of raw. :)

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
Oh, Caiza does sit and wait but it's like ADD sit :lol-sign: Sitting but moving and I just won't put it in his dish cuz he scarfs it down so fast but by me feeding him by hand he takes it easy but the look on his eyes is like a phycho crazed fool.

Not really, the dogs know they must be patient and mannerly when its feeding time because if they arent, i will pull the rude one aside and tie him up and he gets to sit there and watch the other one eat. He does not get fed until he behaves. If they are both acting up then i just put the food in the fridge and walk away.

Fran27

The few times I've fed my boys raw stuff, they want totally crazy over it. And it ended up in a fight because Boris got too close to Tips' crate, even though he finished his share 5 minutes before...

That's why I don't feed them raw.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Zeus is a horrible gulper. I swear, he tosses back those chicken legs and practically swallows them like a heron with a fish. Because of that, I won't give him anything smaller than a chicken leg quarter.

BostonBanker

I house-sat for someone who had the same issues with the raw, and their GSD ended up having bloat from gulping it. They add water to the patties and mash it up until it is kind of a chowder consistency.

Meg eats a fair amount of the prepared raw, but she's every bit a lady and nibbles.

DanL

I have the broad extreme of eaters here. Daisy eats fast and furious. I saw her eat a whole egg the other day just swallowing it- she didn't even bite it to break it open. I'm at the point now where she's getting nearly whole chickens (I'll cut Bruzer's dinner off of a whole chicken, she gets the rest) and 3-4lbs of pork shoulder with the bone as her main meals, or feeding her the largest leg quarters in the package while they are still mostly frozen, otherwise, she'll bolt them down too. She'll take a frozen fish fillet and turn it longways like a popsicle, and swallow it whole. The only thing that takes her a while is the pork shoulders, those she'll work on for a half hour or so.

Bruzer gets his food cut up ever since his choking incident, and he will clear his bowl in about 30 seconds.

Gunnar on the other hand, takes 10 minutes to eat a cheerio. He'll lick and nibble at his dinner, taking his time, not worrying about the others moving in and stealing his food since he rules the roost and they all avoid him when he's eating. He'll take 15-20 minutes to eat 2 1/2 lbs of food, where Daisy can polish off a 4lb chicken in about 10 minutes tops.

Red, I wouldn't worry much about Caiza eating fast. Dogs by nature are gulpers, think about what wild dogs do, bolting large pieces as fast as they can to get more than their competition.

hedwig

my boy eats like a complete girl, you would think he is scared of breaking a tooth! omg.

he has never been a gulper with raw or kibble, he gulped his food raw n dry for around a week then he stopped, dunno why.

he doesnt go crfzy for it or he wont eat whole carcases either.

has anyone got any suggestions about feeding whole animals? should you just give it as it is n give nothing else till he eats it a few day later? or give up with it?

DanL

You think I'm kidding? This is the main reason I never used treats for training. It's a whole production with him. Sniff treat. Take treat in mouth. Drop it. Sniff it some more. Lick it a few times. Take treat in mouth again. Begin chewing, but slowly. Savor every bite. Chew food 32 times just like Mom said to do. Lick lips 15 times. Now, where were we. I was doing what, sit? I forgot!

Members online

No members online now.