Ethoxyquin in dog food

Barb04

Super Moderator
I've been following this for awhile from another forum. Ethoxyquin has been banned for use in human foods. It's used as a preservative and PESTICIDE (that right there should explain it).

Quote:
Ethoxyquin is a chemical preservative – and possible carcinogenic – regulated by the FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration) as a pesticide. While ethoxyquin cannot be used in human foods, it continues to be used in many pet food brands. Ethoxyquin has been found to promote kidney carcinogenesis and significantly increase the incidence of stomach tumors and enhanced bladder carcinogesis, according to several studies, including a recent one by The Department of Pathology, Nagoya City University Medical School, Japan.
Quote:
6-ethoxy-1,2-dihydro-2,2,4-trimethylquinoline. Antioxidant; also a post-harvest dip to prevent scald on apples and pears.
Originally developed by Monsanto as a stabilizer for rubber, Ethoxyquin has also been used as a pesticide for fruit and a color preservative for spices, and later for animal feed. The original FDA permit for use as stabilizer in animal feed limited use to two years and did not include pet food, but it falls under the same legal category. It has never been proven to be safe for the lifespan of a companion animal.It has been linked to thyroid, kidney, reproductive and immune related illnesses as well as cancer, but so far no conclusive, reliable research results either for the safety of this product or against it have not been obtained. Monsanto conducted research years ago, but results were so inconclusive due to unprofessional conduct and documentation that the FDA demanded another study. There are currently several studies underway to determine whether Ethoxyquin is safe or not, and until those studies are completed, pet food suppliers may continue to use Ethoxyquin. This is how things stand after about 6 years, and no new details have emerged so far.
be heavily preserved with an antioxidant, the recommendation being ethoxyquin.

Natural Balance uses E. on any fish meal.

Also of interest, suppliers are NOT required to use ethoxyquin - regulations state that the fish meal must be preserved with an antioxidant, but doesn't specify which, although they recommend E.

Quote:
he websites mentions the Code of Federal Regulations, and if you read the actual code carefully, it simply implies that fishmeal/fish scrap on a shipping vessel entering US waters/ports needs to be heavily preserved with an antioxidant, the recommendation being ethoxyquin.
List of Ethoxyquin free foods:

ANY Natura product (Innova, Evo, California Naturals)
Blue Buffalo
By Nature
Flint River Ranch
Fromm
Merrick
Petcurean
Timberwolf
Wellness
Orijen
Acana
Nature's Variety
Life's Abundance
Halo
Horizon
Pinnacle
Canine Caviar
Eagle Pack

Avoid Solid Gold for the time being - they claim they do not use, nor have suppliers that use, ethoxyquin - but they are manufactured by Diamond and Diamond stated that ALL their products contain E. Including TOTW, Canidae and Chicken Soup. It is my belief then, that SG also contains it.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
well.... those studies were done on rats.
and orange juice causes cancer in male rats.

I dont let it worry me at all.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I only put it here because if it's banned for human consumption, then I personally wouldn't feed food containing it to any of my pets. I would rather be safe than sorry.

kvicknair

No Ethoxyquin in Diamond Pets Premium Edge line

This is an older post so just wanted to let folks know that Diamond Pet's Premium Edge and Taste of the Wild lines do NOT contain Ethoxyquin.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Ya I was curious about Diamond... I currently feed Kirkland, but since we just moved to GA and they don't have a costco near here I was looking into Diamond and 4health which both have similar ingredients. The place nearby was selling Diamond for less per pound, so I was leaning towards grabbing a bag. I'm going to go back just to double check before I actually purchase more dog food. I have another whole bag of Kirkland in the meantime

Saeleofu

Avoid Solid Gold for the time being - they claim they do not use, nor have suppliers that use, ethoxyquin - but they are manufactured by Diamond and Diamond stated that ALL their products contain E. Including TOTW, Canidae and Chicken Soup. It is my belief then, that SG also contains it.
This is no longer true. I know for a fact Taste of the Wild does not contain Ethoxyquin, and I'm pretty sure that at a minimum the 4Health and Naturals lines don't contain it either.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
TOTW does not contain it but cannot guarantee their ingredients do not contain it. I'm not sure if that is the same for other feeds though.

I have a bag of TOTW I am finishing and will not be re-purchasing. In my experience with this feed it's awful.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
TOTW does not contain it but cannot guarantee their ingredients do not contain it. I'm not sure if that is the same for other feeds though.

I have a bag of TOTW I am finishing and will not be re-purchasing. In my experience with this feed it's awful.
interesting--my boys do fabulous on TOTW.

darC

ethoxyquin

thank you barb04 for the information you provided, for years i have had this obsession about finding foods without ethoxyquin....

i fed innova for years, 99 3/4% sure it was okay, however within a year after
the proctor and gamble purchase my dog showed signs of poor nutrition, dull, coarse, rough coat...

i switched to "wellness core" because they actually state on their bag and website, "no ethoxyquin", although she seems to have more frequent daily stool with this food, i do feel at ease having personally seen the disclaimer.

thank you for the monsanto information, i did not know that, it is interesting to know that they have given us this poison and then they have now moved on to genetically destroying our foods......

wonder why monsanto does not like us......

Just thought I needed to add this here. A while ago I started hearing from people who kept saying "Eagle pack" and or "Wellness" was made by Diamond. At last count, through The whole dog journal, they were not, my subscription did lapse around 09'. However, it now has appeared in the most recent (Feb) whole dog top foods list, that in the last year, the WellPet company HAS struck a deal and sourced out some lines of foods to "other" manufacturing facilities, including Diamond! Needless to say, I'm very disappointed. Just felt I needed to add that, after reading what was posted in warning about Solid Gold.

Members online

No members online now.