Would you Adopt this Dog?

PixieSticksandTricks

Athletic Labs. They Exist
1)Had severe separation anxiety? Yes
2)Was a constant talker/whiner? No
3)Was impossible to housebreak? Yes
4)Was a puppy mill survivor who has spent 10 years in a tiny cage? Yes (Maggie May)
Health
5)Required medication 2x a day. Injections? Yes
6)Required expensive medication? Yes (Maggie)
7)Had a degenerative disease eventually resulting in an early death? Yes
8)Was Paralyzed and required a cart/lifting? Yes
9)Had no bladder/bowel control and needed to be expressed or diapered? Yes
10)is elderly? Yes
11)Had a reoccurring problem, such as epilepsy or an autoimmune disorder? Yes
Breed
12)Is found on many breed bans? yes as long as its not banned where I live
13)Weighed more than 100lbs? Yes
14)Weighed less than 5lbs? Yes
15)Is known for severe health problems? (remember this is a rescue, not from a reputable breeder) Yes
Aggression
16)Is severely dog aggressive? Yes
17)Is severely small animal aggressive? Yes
18)Is child aggressive? No
19)Is aggressive toward some adults? No
20)Had a bite history? Maybe

Falconara

Gene Junkie
Behavioral

1)Had severe separation anxiety? - Yes

2)Was a constant talker/whiner? - Yes

3)Was impossible to housebreak? - Yes - nothing is impossible

4)Was a puppy mill survivor who has spent 10 years in a tiny cage? - Yes

Health

5)Required medication 2x a day. Injections? - Yes

6)Required expensive medication? - Yes

7)Had a degenerative disease eventually resulting in an early death? - Maybe - It would depend on the dog...though I dont imagine that is different than adopting an elderly dog...which I have done before.

8)Was Paralyzed and required a cart/lifting? - Yes

9)Had no bladder/bowel control and needed to be expressed or diapered? - No

10)is elderly? - Yes

11)Had a reoccurring problem, such as epilepsy or an autoimmune disorder? - YES (Jay is epileptic)

Breed

12)Is found on many breed bans? Yes

13)Weighed more than 100lbs? Yes

14)Weighed less than 5lbs? Yes

15)Is known for severe health problems? (remember this is a rescue, not from a reputable breeder) Yes

Aggression

16)Is severely dog aggressive? No

17)Is severely small animal aggressive? No

18)Is child aggressive? No

19)Is aggressive toward some adults? Yes

20)Had a bite history? Yes

~Cate

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
I thought this might be an interesting thread. Everyone has a limit to what they can handle in a pet, both financially and with training. There is nothing wrong with admiting those limits. Would you adopt the following dogs. Keep in mind that there as "as is" dogs you are considering, not a beloved pet of your own that has developed issues.
Behavioral
1)Had severe separation anxiety? I don't think it would be a problem, I'm home all day every day for probably at least the lifespan of a dog or until my children grow up
2)Was a constant talker/whiner?No, I had one of these and it drove me insane
3)Was impossible to housebreak?No, sorry, I rent and I don't like having to buy new carpet when I leave because of an animal
4)Was a puppy mill survivor who has spent 10 years in a tiny cage?Sure
Health
5)Required medication 2x a day. Injections? Sure, I don't mind giving injections
6)Required expensive medication? Depends on how expensive, family has to eat first
7)Had a degenerative disease eventually resulting in an early death?I'd try to avoid a dog like this just for the heartache it would cause myself and my kids
8)Was Paralyzed and required a cart/lifting?As long as they could have some quality of life then yes
9)Had no bladder/bowel control and needed to be expressed or diapered? In a family pet it's something I'd do, but I can't say I'd adopt a dog that needs diapers - I still have children in diapers!
10)is elderly?Absolutely, I got a basset hound last year that was 15 years old and had her about 6 months before she had to be euthanized
11)Had a reoccurring problem, such as epilepsy or an autoimmune disorder?Sure
Breed
12)Is found on many breed bans?Wouldn't bother me, then again, I have two "pitbulls" already (well techincally 1 APBT and a bullmastiff but nobody seems to know the difference)
13)Weighed more than 100lbs?My current dog is 110 lbs - being big is a plus
14)Weighed less than 5lbs?Probably not, for their safety, my kids aren't the most graceful
15)Is known for severe health problems? (remember this is a rescue, not from a reputable breeder)maybe, depends on the quality of life they could have
Aggression
16)Is severely dog aggressive? I like having more than 1 dog at a time so probably wouldn't work
17)Is severely small animal aggressive?Sure, I only have big dogs and don't plan on having small critters
18)Is child aggressive?absolutely not
19)Is aggressive toward some adults?Not likely
20)Had a bite history?That would be on a case by case basis...define what caused the previous bite and we might be able to work through it

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
1)Had severe separation anxiety? yes
2)Was a constant talker/whiner? no in all honestly barking drives me right up the wall
3)Was impossible to housebreak? depends on other people's impossibe of not watching enough or if it were a health issue. If it were a health issue and garments could be arranged..maybe, i will not live in a house saturated in urine.
4)Was a puppy mill survivor who has spent 10 years in a tiny cage? i would probably think this dog's mind is just about toast..from the description alone probably not, but if i saw in person and thought there a spark of anything left maybe
Health
5)Required medication 2x a day. Injections? not a problem yes
6)Required expensive medication? if i had it and could yes
7)Had a degenerative disease eventually resulting in an early death? if my heart went kathump yes
8)Was Paralyzed and required a cart/lifting? My health issues make that a no, i have no back up for when i am ill
9)Had no bladder/bowel control and needed to be expressed or diapered? if diapering were a possiblity and tehy didn't tear them off i think we could swing it, i wouldn't want to but i would do it
10)is elderly? yes
11)Had a reoccurring problem, such as epilepsy or an autoimmune disorder?
Breed we can handle this yes
12)Is found on many breed bans? i am already doing that with pepperpot
13)Weighed more than 100lbs? not my prefered but yes
14)Weighed less than 5lbs? yes if the other animals in the house are all stable enough to not harm
15)Is known for severe health problems? (remember this is a rescue, not from a reputable breeder) depends on the issue, i am not making an animal live in discomfort
Aggression
16)Is severely dog aggressive?no
17)Is severely small animal aggressive?no
18)Is child aggressive?absolutely not
19)Is aggressive toward some adults?no
too many dogs are put to sleep every day to waste the chance on one that could harm someone else in the process of getting himself put down and me sued.
20)Had a bite history? don't we all? someone care to adopt me with mine? I am loveable.

Labyrinth

Behavioral
1)Had severe separation anxiety?

Yes

2)Was a constant talker/whiner?

Yes

3)Was impossible to housebreak?

No. I don't want an outside dog, and I don't want to be cleaning up potty indoors forever. If they can learn eventually and are just a little tough sure, but if completely impossible no.

4)Was a puppy mill survivor who has spent 10 years in a tiny cage?

Yes

Health
5)Required medication 2x a day. Injections?

Possibly. Depends on type of medication and what is wrong with the dog. I've never medicated an animal outside of pills or oral syringes so an actual injection would probably be difficult for me.

6)Required expensive medication?

Possibly. Depends on if the expensive medication was lifelong or not, and if I clicked with the dog.

7)Had a degenerative disease eventually resulting in an early death?

Yes

8)Was Paralyzed and required a cart/lifting?

Yes
9)Had no bladder/bowel control and needed to be expressed or diapered?

Probably not. Would have to really click with the dog to tolerate this.

10)is elderly?

Yes

11)Had a reoccurring problem, such as epilepsy or an autoimmune disorder?

Yes

Breed
12)Is found on many breed bans?

Yes

13)Weighed more than 100lbs?

Yes

14)Weighed less than 5lbs?

Probably not. I'd be afraid of stepping on it, or having it trampled by our other pets.

15)Is known for severe health problems? (remember this is a rescue, not from a reputable breeder)

Yes. I feel this is a chance you take with any dog really.

Aggression
16)Is severely dog aggressive?

No

17)Is severely small animal
aggressive?

Definately not. I have ferrets.

18)Is child aggressive?

No

19)Is aggressive toward some adults?

Possibly. My husband and I live alone, and rarely have visitors. Would have to click to dog for this to work though.

20)Had a bite history?

Possibly. Depends on who was bitten and what the circumstances were.

Members online

No members online now.