Puppy Mills

scob89

DILLIGAF?
Thats a good site. I know a couple people who have adopted from te website. I really want to adopt Preston.

being from PA and living about 1 hour away from lancaster, this is a great site!

i use to have a motorcycle and i would ride threw lancaster a lot...and this is a true thing, there would be hand painted signs saying puppies for sale, and there are a lot of them...i stopped at one of the farms that had a sign up about rottie pups for sale, my curiousity had reached its peek and i wanted to look at these pups....

i was sickend when this amish guy came out, i asked him about the pups that where for sale, and he took me to see them, they where in the barn, no heat, on concrete floor, all skinny and sickly looking, goopy eyes, sneezing and just plan sad looking, no food or water in the stall with them...its was sicking, and i being my normal suttle self (not) went off! I was not looking to get another dog, but curious to see...wish i hadnt...i told him that the conditions where horrid, and the dogs where sick! ofcourse he told me they had just seen a vet..all the stories...lies!

he wanted 700 dollars for these pups...i hopped back on my bike, got the address went down the road and called animal control..im not sure if anyone came out, but i rode past there a lot and never saw another sign...

it makes me sick, and i know there are tons more out there....but not only in lancaster but out where i grew up too, right up the street...they are all over....

Sunnypup

mostly ignored...
Hey, in defense of those mennonites mentioned on the site, I know for a fact that there are responsible loving breeders who care about the dogs and their well being. Yes there are a lot of people there,especially amish who believe that an animal is just something to use and abuse but I don't like the insinuation that people of a certain faith or church denomination are animal abusers.(p.s. my family is mennonite and we have many mennonite friends who care greatly about their dogs.) I am not defending the abusers just the faith that that site seems to be bashing. I have to say too that dogs are a hardier animal then we tend to give them credit for and just because the dog is living outside in a kennel that is climate controlled it does not mean that they are abused it just means that some people still have the notion that animals don't belong in the house. Animal abuse has to be stopped but some peoples ideas of abuse reach far out into left field. Not that puppy mills aren't abuse please don't send me hate mail, I adopted my last dog from a shelter. I just think that it is a shame when people devote more time and money to making sure that pooky has a fluffy bed to sleep on at the foot of her masters bed then the fact that there are children starving in the streets. that's all. If you think amish abuse their dogs you should see what they do to their children . anyway. leaving now.

Sunnypup

mostly ignored...
p.s. I would go for the jugular if anyone had ever tried to hurt my baby like that when he was so small so I understand justifiable outrage and I do know that the amish and OLD ORDER mennonites who raise puppies tend to do it just for profit like they would raise sheep or cattle so I get it and I agree that the billboard is a good idea I just think the insinuation is insulting that all mennonites are puppy haters. okay...done really for now before I get shot at.

Martine

Trained by an Airedale
I just read the bit about Puppy Farms and linked article on the Puppy Mill Auctions.....reading that first hand account is so upsetting....I admit I had no idea it was that hideous......

Sunnypup, there are people in all different denominations of western religions that don't view animals in a very equitable or compassionate light, not just some Mennonites. Some - no matter what denomination they profess - have the unfortunate tendency to interpret dogma to suit their own desires.

I wouldn't think anyone here is so shortsighted as to believe that all Mennonites would keep dogs in the appalling circumstances Datyn's Mom described. The conditions aren't the worst part of it, bad as they are. The worst part is flooding the world with poorly bred animals with health and temperament issues. It doesn't matter how humanely animals are treated if good animal husbandry practices aren't being followed.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
there are people here that show up in the summertime..set up a wire pen and have a lovely litter of something to sell. I stop by and try to ask them questions becuase this just makes me crazy...i know they are puppy mill because I see the same people with different litters..i tell them people that stop to look to ask lots of questions..but all they see is cute puppies. In the midwest we are climate appropraite for breeding dogs..never too hot or too cold..so there are so many profiteers it makes my head spin. You should see how evasive they get when you start asking about the parents..and the location where the pups were born. makes me sick to see

I don't think all Amish people are cruel to their animals. In fact, many of them are very caring toward their creatures.

Ash47

Taco Dog
Sunnypup, I agree with your being upset. I would never be ignorant enough to think that all people of one faith abuse dogs. I think the website is saying that not all Mennonites are abusers, but a lot of the abusers are Mennonites or Amish. I hope no one from this site will send you hate mail. Though, I really doubt they will.

About the site, I love the billboard thing. Great idea!

Members online

No members online now.