Muzzle training

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
I want to start training Mitsu with wearing the muzzle as soon as possible. Im guessing its a good idea since it probably will come in handy once she is bigger, especially if we have to deal with Dog agression issues and I think its just an all around good idea.

So should I start with one of those Nylon muzzles like this:

I eventually want to get her one of those awesome basket muzzles, but thats impractical right now since she is still growing.

And how would I go about training her positivly with wearing the muzzle??

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Buy the cheap basket muzzles (we use them for lure coursing) and start with those, they are far more comfortable and less frightening than the nylon fitted. I have two that may work and I can send if the shipping doesn't out weigh the cost of one.

There is a great video about muzzle training on YouTube with a guy and I think a border collie.

Do not just put it on, watch the video (I'll look it up when I have a computer in front of me) if no one else knows of it.

jenv101

Bite Club
I'd be interested in that video as well - I'm working on this with Riley right now too. So far we are just doing a "touch" command and I've built it up to where he will offer his whole snout inside the muzzle for a treat. Not sure where to go from here though, I've just been trying to build up the duration...

It's much easier to acclimate to a basket muzzle, IMO. They are cheap and pretty available these days.

At our house, they become magical peanut butter dispensers. I start just by smearing some PB on the outside and dropping them on the floor by whichever dog I'm working with. Gradually I move from dropping it to holding it to smearing the PB just on the inside rim and work down to the inside of the nose and just letting them lick while I hold it, then move it over their muzzle for just a second while they're licking, then a few seconds, and so on.

Try to get the kind with a hole already in the end to give treats through, or cut a hole in the end, so you can give treats once it's on, too.

kady05

Just curious, but why do you think you'll need it when she's older? I have never had a reason to use a muzzle on any of my dogs..

I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like on almost every post you write about her, you mention DA. It's like you're almost setting her up to become DA! I get that you want to be prepared in the event that it does occur, but you sound a little.. paranoid. Again, maybe it's just me, but it's just something I've noticed when reading your posts recently.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Just curious, but why do you think you'll need it when she's older? I have never had a reason to use a muzzle on any of my dogs..

I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like on almost every post you write about her, you mention DA. It's like you're almost setting her up to become DA! I get that you want to be prepared in the event that it does occur, but you sound a little.. paranoid. Again, maybe it's just me, but it's just something I've noticed when reading your posts recently.
Its because I want to be prepared. Its not somthing I take lightly and in the event that she does end up DA I want to have everything set up and ready and have the knowledge. And getting her used to a muzzle is somthing that I think is a good idea to train her to be used to no matter what if she turns out DA or not. As well as getting her used to being crated and sectioned off in the house.

Its a reality in the breed and I want to be prepared. And I dont know her background. Heck, she might not even live long enough to develope DA, I don't believe I am setting her up for being DA, just being prepared. I am in no way being paraniod. I just know its something that can pop up. And having another fiesty terrier that is alot smaller than her, I want to protect both of them, and if that means teaching Mitsu to wear a muzzle and respecting boundries in the house and each other so be it. :)

But I can see how my post can sound coming off a little paraniod, but I want to learn as much as I can.

Doberluv

I think you're wise to condition her to it ahead of time. There are some places, like we discussed in the other thread where Pitbulls must be muzzled when out in public. If you're ever visiting one of these places, your dog will already be comfortable wearing a muzzle. So, you're most certainly not setting her up to be DA. That's something that was selected for in the developing of this breed type. Of course, she may never exhibit any of that. But I think it's a great idea....just like it's a good idea to condition a puppy to a crate, even if you never will need one at home, the dog may need to travel in one or stay in something small like that while at a vet's office. Conditioning and socializing a dog to many, many things is never a bad idea. And being prepared, keeping it in mind is a good idea when owning a breed of dog that tends toward DA. I would never get a Pitbull and not have that on my mind to some degree. I didn't get my Doberman without having that in mind. They too, tend toward DA.

I conditioned my Doberman to wearing a muzzle. He never wound up wearing one except for one time when out and about. I put it near his face and fed him through the hole, (high value food bits) made a fuss and put the thing away for a while. Then took it out and did that again, putting it closer and kind of on, but not buckled...just for a couple seconds, good treats, praise, then done. Later on, did all that, feeding HIGH value treats through it, attached the buckle, but only for a second or two, then took it off....told the dog how wonderful he was and tried it again....adding gradually a little more duration. And just went from there...changing locations in the house, then outside etc before using it in real life situations. Well, you get the picture...all very gradual with lots of reinforcement for every baby step. (tasty treats, praise, a party after the session with games and more treats)

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
What I would do is measure her now and get one of these (or an appropriate size, but this style) http://www.dog-muzzle-store.com/ind...id=206&zenid=b64c0fdcfd6e3fe3f85a88e87404567a They're cheap and we have several of them for lure coursing.

Then when she's old enough I would get a baskerville muzzle. If I knew she would be the right size we have a baskerville "mastiff" size for 15 bucks at my work. I can stash it for you but again I'm not sure if the shipping would out weigh the discount.

This is the video I enjoy and used for my dogs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FABgZTFvHo

Members online

No members online now.