Health Clearances (questions)

Toller_08

Dance's contract says that I am to get her health clearances done somewhere between 18-30mths (hips, elbows, thyroid..). I was just wondering, is it better to get them done closer to 24-30mths, or does it make no difference either way? Probably a silly question, but I've never had to do this before, so am just curious.

Also, she's PRA/CEA clear by parentage, so does that mean I don't have to CERF? I'd assume so, but I'm not sure.

And finally, when she does go in to have her hips and elbows done, is it customary to have to have her put under? I've only talked to two different places about this, and they both say she'll need to be... but other people I've talked to who have had their dogs tested say that their dogs didn't have to.

bubbatd

I always did at 2 yrs ..... and mine didn't have to be put under .

You DO still have to CERF even if they are optigen PRA clear, or clear by parentage. There are other issues that affect they eye other than just PRA. In my breed we use the optigen test, but we still CERF and it's considered acceptable to only CERF every other year instead of yearly.

X-rays for OFA can't be done until 24 months. You breeder most likely gave you a grace period because it is reccommended that you not do the x-rays within a few months before or after a heat cycle.

My vet does opt to put the dogs under for OFA. I have heard preferences either way, but in my experience it just makes it easier for the vet and techs to position the dog. They have to be layed out on their backs and it can sometimes take a few tries to get a good xray. Some dogs don't take too kindly to being held on their backs by multiple people. My vet won't manipulate a joint to pass an x-ray though. He will tell you if he doesn't think the x-rays will pass and won't take any extra measures to ensure that they do.

bubbatd

Agree , some dogs need to be put under .... luckily mine didn't .

Dekka

Just try me..
Agree , some dogs need to be put under .... luckily mine didn't .
I thought you didn't health test back in the day?

Toller>> What does your breeder do? Can you go to the same vets that they use?

Toller_08

Thanks Outline!

Dekka, I have no idea. I was planning to ask the next time I'm able to talk to her, but until then, I just figured I'd ask a few questions here first. :)

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
The vet I used allways tries to do the xrays without putting the dogs under. She gives them a chance.

As far as cerf go to canuckdogs.com then your area. The go to clinics or something to do with health on the left hand side. It will show cerf clinics that are either on going or have specific dates.

R

RedyreRottweilers

I always prefer to avoid anesthesia whenever possible. I drive over 2 hours to a vet whom I use for nothing other than OFA films, because he is experienced with doing films with no drugs, and he does a LOT of them.

Most vets who do this without drugs use a deep V back cradle to lay the dogs in that holds their spine and body straight and still.

I would wait until the dog is 24 months old to do films. Bitches should not be done within 30 days of a heat cycle if possible.

I would also strongly suggest you get your dog heart cleared as well.

Best of luck!

:D

Toller_08

Thanks again!

Doesn't look like I'll have to do anything for a little while yet, as she's just 17mths right now. And yes, Red, I'll be doing her heart as well. :)

bubbatd

Mine never had to be put under for their OFAs ...really depends on the dog .

R

RedyreRottweilers

The vet I go to, no, it does not depend on the dog.

If you take a dog in, they will film it with no drugs. These people are experts, and that is one of the main reasons I go there. They do films on up to 3 dogs PER DAY. People come from all up and down the east coast to go to this man for OFA films. He and his staff handle SO many dogs, and they are so quick the dog hardly knows what happened and he is done.

When I say they are quick, I mean Milton was not out of my sight for more than 5 minutes to be done, nor was Mike.

OFA films are VERY important for my dogs. I researched, and I NEVER mind driving to this guy.

BTW, if you are on the east coast, this veterinarian is Lee Darch in Wake Forest, NC at North Wake Animal Hospital. Worth the drive from ANYWHERE IMO.

bubbatd

So you feel that any dog can be held in the needed position for a clear XRay ?? Agree that the vet and the crew makes a difference .....but there are dogs who wouldn't co-operate IMO.

elegy

overdogged
personally, if i wanted accurate films, i'd opt for chemical restraint, regardless of how well behaved the dog is. most dogs are uncomfortable being held on their backs by strangers. i can't blame them. even if they're cooperative, they're probably going to be tense, and especially if they're large, strong dogs, that's going to impact the films.

R

RedyreRottweilers

I have had films done at the above clinic since 1993.

I have never taken a Rottweiler in that could not be done, or who was not done accurately and positioned well, and I have taken NUMEROUS dogs to this clinic.

Lots of other people have dogs done using chemical restraint, which is just fine. As for me, I prefer, as I stated earlier, not to anesthetize my dogs unless it is absolutely necessary.

bubbatd

^^^ I agree ! That's why I stated that it depends on the dog . Mine have been stitched without sedation too .... only numbing .

R

RedyreRottweilers

I agree too, Grammy. :D Milton had a toenail appear, growing right out the side of one of his rear legs where a dew claw would normally be. This, after, as a 2 day old puppy, even after careful examination, he appeared to have only one dew claw.

We were able to remove the nail with just a local, and I was so thankful. He came home with a band aid only. :D

For my OFA's, I have found a local vet who is the "Golden" go to guy in my area. He prefers to do the x-rays with only physical restraint, but 2 years back when I had my Riley done, she became a little fractious with the techs even before she was ever put on the table. They opted to slightly sedate her and that was fine. I prefer no sedation, but the safety of the vet and their personal is more important.

Ruger was done using no sedation, took all of maybe 10 minutes for both elbows and hips, only one tech and the vet, and he came back with OFA prelim hips - EXCELLENT and elbows - NORMAL. I stood in the door way and watch the whole thing and it was no big deal.

I do agree, though, that it does depend on the dog.

Members online

No members online now.