Tick Infestation!

Sanas_K

The other day I was sittin with my Sana watching tv and I noticed a little grey bump on her fur...it kinds freaked me out at first...I looked more closely at it and found it to be a tick! After further inspection of her fur my boyfriend and I found a few more. Over the last three days we've must've removed at least 30 ticks off the dog.

On the first day we only noticed a couple, so we removed them completely with tweezers and gave her a bath, but we only had people shampoo, and it was late at night so we used that then left her alone thinking maybe she'd just brushed against a bush or something and that would be the end of it.

On the second day though, after finding more, I went to Petsmart and picked up flea and tick supplies. I got:
a new two sided brush for her long and short hair,
Sentry Value Flea and Tick Shampoo,
Sentry Dual Action Flea and Tick Collar
Adams Plus Flea and Tick Mist with Insect Growth Regulator
and Zodiac Spot On Flea and Tick Control for Dogs up to 30lbs (she's between 25 and 30lbs)
We searched her over for a good couple hours and found a good number more that weren't visible the day before. We gave her a nice brush down, washed and sprayed all her bedding and stuffed toys, the carpet, the furniture, and vacuumed the furniture and carpet in every room in the apartment too, we cleaned the bathroom and even checked the perimeter of the patio for any possible place where she may have picked up the ticks...but we found none in the apartment or around the apartment, only on her. So we sprayed her down with the mist too and put the tick collar on, and put the Spot On gel on her before giving her a new bone and sending her to bed.

After getting home from work my boyfriend and I decided we might as well pin her down and check her again, so for at least another hour we ran our fingers through her fur and searched her up and down...finding more! We removed them all like we did the rest, brushed her down again and gave her a bath with the special shampoo this time. We found a few dead/half-living ones around her crate in the carpet so we vacuumed all over again and sprayed the whole apartment down again too. Then put her special collar back on and applied a new supply of the Spot On before spraying her with a little more mist.

I don't know how she could have picked them up...she keeps herself so darn clean, and we always have the apartment clean too...she hasn't been out any place as of lately...not even on a walk because I've had to work odd hours this last week. She spends most of her time either on the patio or inside and I don't have any pets nor have I had any company over.

Am I doing the right things to get rid of them? Anyone have any such situations as mine that just really "tick"ed you off?

By the way, the third picture down is what we've found on her...looks like the male and female...we usually find them together like that, or close to each other: http://publications.royalcanin.com/...=102468&com=2&animal=0&lang=2&session=2074304

Any comments are greatly appreciated!

*Amy*

I had a very similar problem last week with my dog (read it here) After doing what I did, I haven't seen any ticks in 5 or 6 days now. I'm not too sure about the Zodiac spot-on treatment that you are using, but there's a thread that talks about it not working as well as something like Frontline or Advantix especially if they're adult ticks you are finding(here it is). If you decide to change to something like Frontline (you can buy this at the vet), you would need to make sure your dog doesn't have any of the other medicine still on her by using a shampoo that does not say "will not wash off flea/tick spot-on treatment" because of course, you do want to wash it off. If you keep finding ticks in your apartment, you may want to have an exterminator come and spray for ticks. I did this and it only cost $25 for him coming more than once. Even though I haven't seen any ticks, I'm still going to have him come to make sure there aren't any last survivors hiding. I think that really helped.

The big thing is that ticks lay eggs and even though your dog may eventually not have any more on her, the ticks may have laid eggs somewhere in your home. I read that one female can lay up to 6,000 eggs :yikes:. The Adams spray you got is probably helping, but it wouldn't hurt to have an exterminator come since it really isn't that expensive. I hope this information helps. :) Good luck!

Sanas_K

Hmm...is there a second best choice that I'd be able to get by not having to go to the vet? I don't care about the price, it's the trip to the vet I don't want right now. Or maybe I can get it online? Hmm...that's something I will definitely look into! Thanks. ^^

*Amy*

Hmm...is there a second best choice that I'd be able to get by not having to go to the vet? I don't care about the price, it's the trip to the vet I don't want right now. Or maybe I can get it online? Hmm...that's something I will definitely look into! Thanks. ^^
Yes, you can order it online. http://www.1800petmeds.com/ They have a sale going right now for frontline plus and k9 advantix. :)

*Amy*

No problem! :)

I'm so glad!! I hope they don't come back! Good luck with everything!

Members online

No members online now.