Flea Shampoo

Hello Everyone,
Well Bailey has a few fleas and I need a flea shampoo. I went to Pet Smart tonight & all I found were products that seem horrible and not safe. If it is not supposed to get on my skin why in the world would I put it on my puppy! He is almost 4 months old now. So I was wondering if anyone knows of a product that might be safer & if I need to buy it online. Plus I guess the fleas all of a sudden went crazy here in South Texas because Everyone was in the flea & Tick isle! It was crazy and they were out of almost everything anyways! Help Please!

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
When my cat got neutered he picked up fleas, or something, from the vet clinic and we used a powder that you sprinkle on the carpets from zodiac but I can't remember for the life of me what shampoo we used on them. Maybe your best bet would be to get him treated and out of the house and then treat the house before he comes back in. I bought stuff that you sprinkle on the carpet and then also a spray that you can spray on your furniture and that seemed to work really well. Maybe your vet would be able to give him a good flea bath and get him on some advantage or something and you can treat the house then before he comes home.

Boxer*Mom

It wasn't me
frontline makes a spray that kills fleas almost on contact-then you wouldn't have to bathe, and yep get started on a quality monthly topical for prevention.

aelizilly

Beagle Bailey
I personally wouldn't use a flea shampoo. I agree you need to treat your house and yard, and it might be a good idea to take him to the vet for some advantix or frontline.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
If you need to wash your dog, you can use some regular, natural soap and add a few drops of essential oil (lavender, rosemary, tea tree oil, rose geranium, etc.). Dr. Bronner's makes nice ones, and the Eucalyptus type would probably work really well (I have the peppermint).

This will help you wash of the fleas and discourage them from coming back for a little while, but long-term you will need a topical product like Advantage or Frontline. You can order these online much cheaper than vets sell them at their offices, a trustworthy source I've bought from is healthypets.com.

You will also have to treat the environment, since fleas only spend relaitvely little time actually on the dog.

I have a book Natural Health for Cats and Dogs. Its a must. I looked flea stuff up in there. You get a pot of boiling water slice a lemon and let the lemon soak in it overnight. Sponge this straight on your dog and let dry. There was something about rosemary shampoo too. It also said to put garlic in their food.

Xena

Hi Bailey:)

If your dog has fleas, I would advise going to the vet also.
I use frontline on my 3 dogs and it gets rid of those pesky
little creatures without any problems.
Shampoo and flea products off the market don't work,
they are a waste of money.
They are cheap and nasty....the vet is your
best bet
;)

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Topicals don't seem to work well for Zeus, so I use flea shampoo. I use plan old green Sergeants Flea Shampoo. It works very well and Zeus smells soo nice afterwards.

Any good shampoo will wash off the fleas that are on him. Then wait 24 hours and apply Frontline Plus or one of the other good quality monthly topicals. Sounds like the house and yard need treating too but stay away from Hartz/Zodiac..they can be pretty toxic. Look for brands the vet sells like Adams or Vet Kem. Be sure you get him dewormed as well if he has had a flea problem. Fleas carry tapeworms and it is a good precaution to take.

filarotten

Fila the love
The one time mine got fleas, (during Rita) I used adams flea shampoo and dip. It really worked quick. But on a regular basis we have our yard sprayed the beginning of spring, and I use frontline for at least 3 months out of the year. The extra 9 months garlic in their food seems to take care of the problem.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Well it was a false alarm :) I ended up using a shampoo, not a flea one, thought it would be to toxic and I had bought a flea comb. Well I gave him a bath & nothing! No fleas, nothing. So I called the vet and asked them if I could come in the next day & buy some Frontline Plus and they said yes. So he is all set now & I am so glad he didn't have fleas. After much thought I think his skin might have gotten irritated when he went to the Groomer and I know that they some times use products that are very nice smelling but has a bit much perfume in it, so me & hubby thought that might had been the issue. Because after I gave him the bath and used the flea comb he stopped itching so much, so I think he got irritated with the Groomers products. I thank you all for your information. Bailey has been on Heart Worm stuff since his first Vet appointment. I wonder why they never asked me about Flea & tick protection. I mean I knew I needed to get some but I was going to wait till the 1st to get it. But I ahve Frontline Plus, so I hope this stuff is good, I have never used it before.

Members online

No members online now.