Introducing dog to treadmill?

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I just got a new treadmill from one of my coworkers. It's soooooo nice and really heavy duty.

I found out Bamm really likes it sort of by accident. I was standing next to it and pushing buttons to make sure it works properly. I had it going really slow.... like at .5 and Bamm hopped on and started walking on it. So... I turned it off and had him get back on it and clicked when he got on with it turned off. We started slowly and got him walking eventually with it up to about 1.5. Don't want to push him too fast on it since he is just getting the hang of it, but he really likes it.

Cricket and Joey are not quite as interested in it as Bamm is. I seriously think it could come in handy during the winter months though and would be a good way to condition them.

So.... any advice on introducing them to the treadmill? I finally have them getting on it now with it turned off and I'm click/treating for that... how do I start to make that transition to the treadmill operating? I turned it on to .2 where the track barely moves and Cricket got this wide eyed look on her face and jumped off...

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Aww Bamm is so cute :) I have nothing to add, except that I need one of these for Fozzie's chunky butt!!!

I would think a clicker would be helpful in conditioning it as a positive place.

spiffy

Your Cricket and Joey are probably not workout enthusiasts but it they are food motivated, treats can entice the dogs to like use the treadmill. Play "let's get physical" and see if the dogs will be inspired by the music. :lol-sign:

JacksonsMom

Jackson was pretty much just like Bamm was. He just hopped right on, and was like "oh this is fun!" but I did attach his harness to a leash first and some what guided him, because sometimes he would stop walking and be about to roll off the back LOL. My dads dog Lilly also took right to it. Buddy, the fat one who NEEDS it, of course flips out and won't use it and lays all of his feet down flat on the treadmill. No amount of food or toys will get him on it. I also held a treat at the top so he was trying to "get" to it and would keep walking 'towards' the treat. We've only done it in small increments so far but I do think it will be awesome during the winter. Too bad only my dads house has a treadmill though.

You could always pull a Cesar Milan and tie the dog to the thing, start them at a jog, and just let them get over it. :rolleyes:

Totally not serious. I have no advice to add though, sorry. When we had our treadmill my dogs went from ignoring it to absolutely hating it when they saw someone walking on it one day. They consider the elliptical equally imbued with dark magic.

Members online

No members online now.