Help! Opinions on a dress!

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
All right, clothes people! I need help. Admittedly, I am completely clueless when it comes to the womanly arts of fashion and makeup. :eek: And don't get me started about shoes, LOL.

Here's the deal. Brian and I are planning a mini-vacation next month. We've decided to spend a night or two doing the whole dinner, wineing, dancing, bar-hopping, etc., thing. We haven't done that in a loooong time, so I'm all excited.

I'd like to buy a dress for the occasion. I'm usually conservative when it comes to clothes. I don't mind things close-fitted, but I don't really go for bare skin, short skirts or low-cut tops. Even sleeveless sometimes gives me pause. This time, I'm thinking of (pleasantly) surprising my husband and going with something completely against my norm.

Thoughts on this? Given how I usually tend towards conservative, I can't tell if it's too risque or not.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/bcbgmax...ualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=6954

Last edited:

ACooper

For a hot time out with your husband? Noooooooooo! Not too risque at all IMO!

The only question I would ask is, will this dress out of your 'comfort zone' put a damper on the good time you want to have with hubby? You know, are you the type to tug, pull, worry about what's showing instead of enjoying your RARE time out with him?

If you can put it on, let him enjoy it and not worry about it.......GO FOR IT! If you can't do that, I go with something a bit more in your zone so you can enjoy your get away :)

ETA: Wanted to add, if you can't be comfortable and enjoy yourself in it, get something in the lingerie department for hubby instead.........I doubt he'll be upset, LOL

It is a gorgeous dress! I dont know what you lok like but going off of the model I think it would look better if she had erm more "assets" to fill it out but it is still very stunning.

FG167

Cute! I think classy cute.

Hope you're not petite because that means it's WAY more expensive! LOL

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
For a hot time out with your husband? Noooooooooo! Not too risque at all IMO!

The only question I would ask is, will this dress out of your 'comfort zone' put a damper on the good time you want to have with hubby? You know, are you the type to tug, pull, worry about what's showing instead of enjoying your RARE time out with him?

If you can put it on, let him enjoy it and not worry about it.......GO FOR IT! If you can't do that, I go with something a bit more in your zone so you can enjoy your get away :)

ETA: Wanted to add, if you can't be comfortable and enjoy yourself in it, get something in the lingerie department for hubby instead.........I doubt he'll be upset, LOL
Exactly how I was going to reply!

I dress pretty conservatively, so if I wore something like that I would feel SO out of my comfort zone! I'd probably be pulling at the dress all night and trying to glance in the mirror whenever I could.

That dress is adorable and is perfect for a night out on the town with your hubby, though.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
It is a gorgeous dress! I dont know what you lok like but going off of the model I think it would look better if she had erm more "assets" to fill it out but it is still very stunning.
That was about to be my next question, LOL. I have a large chest and was wondering if a dress like that would even work for me.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I looked at the Nordstrom site and they have strapless bras and don't have a back to them. I didn't read all about them but that might work. I know there are bras that you can convert different ways.

You would look awesome in this dress. You have one "HOT" night! You go girl!

CaliTerp07

Whoa nelly! Smokin!

It looks really short though--only 32 1/2 inches from shoulder to hem. I'd measure what that's going to look like on you (or compare it to a current dress you have) and make sure it's not going to be out of your comfort zone. I can't stand when I feel like a dress I have on is too short--I'm constantly trying to pull it down. I'm almost 5'8" though, so I have that problem a lot--if you're shorter, it's probably no big deal.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Whoa nelly! Smokin!

It looks really short though--only 32 1/2 inches from shoulder to hem. I'd measure what that's going to look like on you (or compare it to a current dress you have) and make sure it's not going to be out of your comfort zone. I can't stand when I feel like a dress I have on is too short--I'm constantly trying to pull it down. I'm almost 5'8" though, so I have that problem a lot--if you're shorter, it's probably no big deal.
I'm officially jealous. I'm only 5'3, and would love to be your height. Seriously, I always thought 5'8 is a perfect height for a woman.

I like your idea of measuring first, and I'll do it to be sure. But given my height (or lack of it), I *think* the length would be ok on me.

It would be a few inches longer on you then the model then and the stretchyness will work in your favor in the chest area lol I feel your pain on getting thing that look right with more in the chest area. As long as you get a good cup braor a lowback bra (low back provide more support and are my preference) Im sure it will look great.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Thanks for all the input! So far, I think you guys have me convinced. Yes, it's outside my usual comfort zone. But at the same time, I think it's good to try something new. And I know my husband will LOVE it.

Now I have to figure out shoes. And hair...mine is long, so I guess I'll probably have to put it up or something to show off the back of the dress? Darned my lack of knowledge of anything girly! *helpless flailing*

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I'll browse through there, thanks! And Jessie's thread just reminded me....isn't it a Chaz bylaw that no one can make a dress decision without Fran's input?

Locke

I think a "sock bun" would work well with this dress. They're mega popular and you can make it formal or a little more casual.

Get or make yourself one of these things:

And you can make your hair look like this is no time flat:

Members online

No members online now.