My son wants a cat?!

mjb

Oh, and my youngest son also prefers cats to dogs.

My middle child is in college, and he took in a stray kitten. There was a whole litter of strays. The mother cat got killed.....on purpose, according to the story that my son was told.......shot. Each kitten got adopted by a fraternity brother. He was living in the fraternity house at the time.

His kitten is quite a pistol. He spent a couple of weeks here between semesters, and, boy, does he take over a household. My husband says you have to be a tough kitten to live in a frat house. I guess. He strutted around here like he owned the place!!

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
Well I dragged my boy downstairs to look at petfinder. I ended up shooting a message to the rescue with the first one I linked. He's not a kitten by any stretch (I think they said about 4 years old) Matt's birthday is a month away but he really liked that one and he looks like he's been in rescue for a long time.
I don't know how strict they are but I filled out their application. WE'll see what they say, I've never had luck with rescues.

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
Only thing I will say is.. If getting a long haired cat, make sure you get one that ENJOYS being brushed. ;)

I aquired a long haired cat called "Morticia", she got her name for obvious reasons, and has to be either tranquilized or I have to put on Falconry gloves in order to brush the darn thing.. They get matts sooooo easily if they aren't brushed regularly. :rolleyes:

But then again I am crazy cat lady.. I have 4 at the moment, and to be honest of all of them, I would say Ivanya one of the females was the most affectionate.. She gets in a right old strop if I don't go to bed early enough for her ladyship, she howls at me until I give in and go to bed and then she plonks her great girth down on me for her evening cuddle.

I have one male "Grisoeil" who is VERY aloof.. Felix is just a sandwich short of a picnic, I am convinced he is handicapped he is sooooo stupid, affectionate to the point of irritating, but stupid none the less, and Morticia is a cat that plays by HER rules, if she wants a cuddle she wants it then and there and when she has had enough she will either try to scratch you or bite.

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
Well I inquired about the whit eone I posted. Evidently he has to go with a friend, and I'm not ready to take on 2 cats. The female with him is short haired and they said they tried to separate them but he urinated all over someones house...no thanks.

not to be nit picky but I must say I disagree with this a lot. Siamese are known to be one of the most affection, dependent cat breeds in existence. They are often clingy to the point of being downright annoying to most people. They are "My" breed so I felt the need to say something, not to mention I wouldn't want Acamp getting a Siamese mix because she wanted an more independent animal, she'd be in for a surprise!

I have heard of some Siamese cats with extreme aggression problems, generally intact males. These cats are the exception and may be a result of over breeding, or poor upbringing, who knows. But the breed as a whole, and as it is supposed to be is extremely affectionate.
I have to agree. My male Siamese is a complete love bug. He follows me around and will randomly jump up on my shoulder. He sleeps with me, snuggles with me on the couch. He's about as close to a dog as a cat can get. He also plays fetch, lol!

Good luck with the kitty search! I have a male and a female. The male is a lover and the female wants attention on her terms. She rules the roost.

Grab

On wet food, the majority of my cats do not like any wet food. They may lick at it a bit, but certainly don't eat enough to be their main diet. However, they do have a water dome fountain so that water circulates constantly and flows down over the dome part. They all find this quite novel and, thus, drink quite often. They eat a grain free kibble and do very well..clear eyes and coats.

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
On wet food, the majority of my cats do not like any wet food. They may lick at it a bit, but certainly don't eat enough to be their main diet. However, they do have a water dome fountain so that water circulates constantly and flows down over the dome part. They all find this quite novel and, thus, drink quite often. They eat a grain free kibble and do very well..clear eyes and coats.
Ahh, you are soooo lucky! I have two that will ONLY eat dry, and two that will ONLY eat wet.. :rolleyes:

Am I a slave to cats? Not much! :rofl1:

I really dont have much to add at all. You have got some great advice. good luck on your search.

Also, is the Kirkland cat food any good like the dog food is? Oh and see some folks mentioned wet food, why?
It is good. but the problem i found with it. Is I have 1 teeny tiny cat about 6lbs, a 20lbs bag sat around literally for about 5 months, before I called it quits, and it still has a bunch of food in it (I use it for training treats for Blaze now lol). I bought a 2lbs bag of food (welness) for her about a month ago, and there is still tons in it. 15bucks for 2-3months worth of cat food is a good deal to me lol.

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
Makes sense Tankstar...it probably won't be like dog food that I buy twice a month and go through all 80 lbs, lol! After a great PM from a member I'm going to try for wet food and see how that goes.

So I'm looking at our local humane society...I see a lot of cats that have been there for 15 days already ,and they are gorgeous! On the 15th I'm going to pick up the kitty supply needs and then around the 1st we'll go see what we can find at the shelter for a kitty.

I can't believe my soon to be 6 year old talked me into a cat...what's next? A pony? (no seriously I know it won't be a pony considering he has a horse in Arizona...)

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
With wet food, only put out as much as they will eat in one sitting.. Wet cat food attracts flies like nobodies business! ;)

Not suprising really, it smells foul! LOL!

Fran27

So have you found one yet? Yes Jasper was used to cats, we had two for the longest time... he was always really gentle with them (my Siamese used to rub her face on his nose... she's more scared of Tips though).

Just make sure you put the litterbox away from the dog... he absolutely loved eating stuff in there... I use pine litter too, I switched to it a month ago after years of using clay and I'm hooked. Doesn't smell half as bad either.

I've always free fed the cats with kibble and they got cans once or twice a day. Now we only have my Siamese left and she reminds me loudly when it's time for her wet food. I think she really mostly eats that now really (Innova evo).

For the cat toys, I admit I haven't bought any in years because between the dogs and the kids, they'd probably be destroyed or eaten in no time. She used to be an inside/outside cat until we moved, so I bought her a cat tree for here, but she really spends most of her time sleeping or zooming up and down the stairs anyway. Still not sure she'll be an inside or inside/outside cat when we move again... she's not too happy inside anymore and keeps waking us up at night now.

Jules

Magic, motherf@%$*#!
Before we all get giddy over a new kitten...have you tested Lacey with a cat yet?

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
Yes she's ok with them, she's interested but doesn't try to hurt them, just nosey.

I haven't found one yet, but haven't been looking very hard either. We still have Lily here so no cat until she's found a new home, I know for a fact she will kill one, so it's that or she can't be in the house. Her potential new owners are still in the middle of moving, but they did call me last week to let me know they hadn't forgotten about her. I think I'll shoot them an email and see whats up.

Last edited:

lizzybeth727

Just one thing to consider about allergies: I have a friend who was only mildly allergic to cats, but since she got her own about a year ago, her allergies have been getting progressively worse. She's now to the point where she has to vacuum a few times a week and keep the cat out of her bedroom, and she's hoping the allergies don't get even worse than they are now.

On the other hand, I babysat for a kid who had a long-haired cat, when I was in high school. I would sneeze and cough my way through the evenings at their house every time. But I got my cat about 6 years later, a short-haired cat who LOVES brushing, and have never had a problem.

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
Just one thing to consider about allergies: I have a friend who was only mildly allergic to cats, but since she got her own about a year ago, her allergies have been getting progressively worse. She's now to the point where she has to vacuum a few times a week and keep the cat out of her bedroom, and she's hoping the allergies don't get even worse than they are now.

On the other hand, I babysat for a kid who had a long-haired cat, when I was in high school. I would sneeze and cough my way through the evenings at their house every time. But I got my cat about 6 years later, a short-haired cat who LOVES brushing, and have never had a problem.
I had a long haired cat growing up, and she never bothered me, until my mom found a short haired kitten in the dumpster (how she found it in a dumpster, I will never know...) and he drove me insane with itchy watery eyes and sneezing. It may have just been the cleanliness difference, as the cat mom found in the dumpster was always a "nasty" kitty and smelled bad, he was just barely toddling when she found him. My other cat was always very clean and never smelled yucky though. My mom has 2 longhaired cats now in her house and they don't bother me much at all, I seem to get used to it.
I'm already on allergy medications as I have lots of other allergies (including dogs, imagine that one) and it keeps me from scratching my face off with them. I'm not objective to having a change in allergy meds or even go to shots so my boy can have a pet. Nobody else seems to have any allergies to anything either, so I can suffer on my own, lol.

Members online

No members online now.