R our dogs too skinny?

dani12

We went to the park last night and two people commented on our puppies being too skinny. I'm sure they meant well but just b/c our dogs aren't overweight like some doesn't mean that they aren't being fed correctly. I know it's kind of hard to see from the pictures but what do you think? They commented on how they weren't "thick" in the body, which isn't how they are really supposed to be anyway is it? They are 3 months old and we feed them 1 cup of Eagle pack puppy food 3 times a day. Plus they get their "treats" and the occasional added fruits or veggies...

showpug

They are getting plenty and I can tell you they ARE NOT too skinny. Keep in mind that the majority of the population has no clue on the appropriate weight for a puppy OR how to evaluate body condition. You should be able to EASILY feel your puppies ribs but not be able to see them. Sometimes you can see the last rib or two when they stand a certain way. You are feeding a good amount of food. A lot of people like to see obese rolly polly puppies when in fact that is not healthy especially for larger breed pups. Keep up with what you are doing and your pups will end up healthier with better bones and joints! Ignore those people at the park ;) Read this....http://www.pvph.net/obesity_in_dogs.htm

dani12

Thanks, that makes me feel better. I know we are doing the right thing but when I get second guessed I start to wonder. One gentleman even said to our puppie "come home with me and I'll fatten you up!" I know he was saying it so we would over hear him but I didn't feel like getting into it with him.

H

h2304

It is better that they are too skinny than too fat. Being fat can couse serious back problems in dogs.

Pugs is absolutely right! Some people think ours are too 'skinny' too, until they see them move and get a look at the amount of muscle they carry. Your two look very well conditioned in their photos.

H

h2304

As long as you cant see the ribs clearly sticking out theres nothing to worrie about. But being fat is a much more serious problem.

Fran27

Boris was skinny until about 6 months. I think it's normal, because they grow so fast...

showpug

dani12 said:
Thanks, that makes me feel better. I know we are doing the right thing but when I get second guessed I start to wonder. One gentleman even said to our puppie "come home with me and I'll fatten you up!" I know he was saying it so we would over hear him but I didn't feel like getting into it with him.
Oh...how did you stand it! I have a hard time doing the "smile and nodd" thing when people make rediculous comments about my dogs, or dogs in general. That guy didn't have a clue what he was talking about. If you want a little more weight on them then wait until they are over a year. Give those bones and joints a chance to grow and develop without the added pressure of excess fat. Although...your dogs will always be healthier if they are kept lean. Labs are so obese now days that people can't tell what normal is for the breed. Keep up the good work! :)

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
We had someone make a comment like that about Teddy when he was a few months old. He is part lab and people look at him and can see that he has lab in him but he just doesn't have the lab build. he is tall and lanky and long lol he is all legs and is very slender and muscular everywhere else. I agree with pugs, people just want to see a rolly polly puppy. were his dogs overweight? he probably didn't mean anything by it. The lady that told us that teddy was too skinny didn't mean he was underfed. She just happens to like her dogs big and fat and they are :| It is very unhealthy but she likes them this way and that was what she meant when she said teddy was too skinny. Perhaps that is what thie gentleman meant also. Don't get too offended. Maybe it was his bad attempt at being funny or personable lol.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
It looks like your pups are just where they should be. So long as you follow feeding directions on the bag and your vet doesn't raise any objections, then I think you're just fine. I agree completely with the comment about 99% of the general public having no idea what a good weight is. I see so many dogs and puppies come in for boarding that are just grossly obese. It makes me ill, because I just know those dogs are in for a host of health problems later. I also have to wonder about the vet these people are using or if they've got a vet at all.

Dreeza

oakley was a little too skinny when we first got him, but 'fattened' up once we switched him to food he actually liked (kirkland brand at costco!)

he still looks pretty skinny, but my vet said he is at a healthy weight...

you can see in the pic how much his belly slopes up around his ribs

(if anyone thinks oakley actually is too skinny, let me know, lol)

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
They don't look too skinny to me AT ALL. I have never seen a fat puppy or thick puppy so I don't know. but they look healthy and well fed to me looks about the same weight as my puppies.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Dreeza--for a moment, your dog looked like a goat and I got really confused, then I scrolled the page over and saw the tail.

dani12

Thanks for all of the support. I don't think the guy meant any harm in what he said but just wanted to voice his opinion w/o truly voicing his opinion! ;)
I'm glad I came to check this thread b/c I was just downstairs looking at Daisy thinking "Is she too thin?" It's funny what happens when the "seed" is planted!
Oh yeah, and there was a lab there that was so overweight even my kids (4 and 6) commented on it. They said he looked like a big bear! He was cute though...but aren't they all!

beagle_lovergirl

Stare at my avatar....
Once Belly lost her pot belly, someone said the same thing to me. Trust me, Belly wasn't named BELLY just for the sake of it! Some ppl just want to seem like they know everything about dogs. Your pups are adorable! So cute!

Colby looks a bit tubby at times, but really she is at the perfect weight. I can feel her ribs perfectly and she has a nice waist. It's just her build. Tippy has long hair on her belly that hangs down and makes her look fat, and she's got so much fur that she looks so big lol! They're all nice and thin.

Raika's Mom

Iggy and Kitty Mom
Don't worry, people have said that to me about Raika too. She's just growing so fast, she can barely keep weight on. We basically free feed her...whenever she seems hungry we give her food. She does look skinny to me, but not malnourished skinny. I know she'll fill out eventually. Right now she's a crazy pup and runs all her calories off! I think your pups look just fine. They are SOOOO cute!!!

Members online

No members online now.