chow health question

chowbaby

Hi all!

I stumbled through this forum while doing a search on dog health. If any one can direct me to the right location for a health question, that would be great.

I have a chow that for the last couple of days has been very lethargic. She isn't motivated to do anything, although she is eating. When she does get up she only moves in one direction and very slow. How can I tell if she is hurting physically somewhere?

Thanks for your help.
chowbaby

Saje

Island dweller
Sounds like a trip to the vet might be in order. You can gently feel her body and look for bumps and sore spots. Hot spots as well. Move her limbs (gently) to see if she flinches. If she's hurting a lot she may growl or snap at you. Has she been pooping? How old is she?

I'd make an appointment at the vets.

IliamnasQuest

Loves off-leash training!
It sounds to me like your dog has a definite problem - lethargy and reluctance to move points towards a physical problem. I would say get her to the vet as soon as possible.

It's hard for anyone to even suggest what might be going on with the information you gave. We would need to know a lot more information to even give a guess.

Chows can be very stoic about pain - they don't always admit to it or show signs that other dogs may. My three tend not to whimper or cry when they're in pain - I can see something's wrong because they act different, but it's not like how my shepherds act (they will let me know right away if they hurt - they'll whimper or cry).

Please get her in to see a vet.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

chowbaby

thanks for the replies. An appointment has been set to see the vet. My chow did move around after I posted this question...but she will still be going to the vet.

thanks again!

aelizilly

Beagle Bailey
Glad to hear you're going to have her checked out at the vet. It never hurts and you'll have better peace of mind. Let us know how it goes.

Staff online

Members online