Our Vet appointment today

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
for annual checkups for the hounds--the vet comments about Wilson's muscular legs, and nicely trimmed toe nails.

Then she checks Baxter out--comments on his good condition as well, and his heart murmur is a little more pronounced.

HEART MURMUR? I did not know he had a heart murmur! Then I remembered my husband took them for their appointment last year (I could not go due to another obligation). I looked at him today and said "HEART MURMUR??" :confused: :( :( :( He thought he told me. :(

So today vet took some blood to check a few things and we go from there.

Vibes for my little guy are appreciated.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
I think she said grade 1--but I was a little taken aback at the moment. He is 7--so not sure what that means as we move forward--just makes me anxious, and I want to know what I should/shouldn't do. She wasn't overly concerned at this point--but we will see what the bloodwork shows I guess and then go from there.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Grade 1 isn't anything they usually worry about - my Maggie developed one about that level at age 9-10 and it stayed the same for the rest of her life. Our vet wasn't worried about it at all. Grade 3 seems to be where they start talking about changing things.

Brattina88

(((((hugs))))) ugh I hate when stuff like that is sprung on you! Grade one isn't bad, though ;) But my thoughts are with you guys!!

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Auggie had one at his last checkup too; he's six. You can go to a cardiologist and have it graded, just listening to it they can't always get an accurate grading, but if she said it was about a 1, I wouldn't be worried about it. My vet didn't think Auggie's was serious enough to have it graded though I'm pretty sure he told me it was a grade 3 or 4... the vets at the university actually put down NO heart murmur when he was in for his ultrasound... the tech did say she could hear "a little something" when I asked her during his physical exam, but didn't seem overly concerned. So I think my vet just mispoke. Auggie's getting a new vet soon so hopefully they will give us a better idea. =P Did your vet recommend getting it looked at by a cardiologist? If not... nothing to panic about yet. It happens with older dogs. It sucks to hear that though, because my first reaction is "Ummmm my dog's not older!" Ugh. =<

ACooper

Vibes coming your way :)

I have one too bax, guess I'm in good company eh?

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Auggie had one at his last checkup too; he's six. You can go to a cardiologist and have it graded, just listening to it they can't always get an accurate grading, but if she said it was about a 1, I wouldn't be worried about it. My vet didn't think Auggie's was serious enough to have it graded though I'm pretty sure he told me it was a grade 3 or 4... the vets at the university actually put down NO heart murmur when he was in for his ultrasound... the tech did say she could hear "a little something" when I asked her during his physical exam, but didn't seem overly concerned. So I think my vet just mispoke. Auggie's getting a new vet soon so hopefully they will give us a better idea. =P Did your vet recommend getting it looked at by a cardiologist? If not... nothing to panic about yet. It happens with older dogs. It sucks to hear that though, because my first reaction is "Ummmm my dog's not older!" Ugh. =<
Yah id be questioning a vet not concerned for a grade 3 or 4 heart murmur... the scale only goes up to 5.

If its a grade one it's not something you really have to think about in terms of exercising. Ella has a grade one heart murmur.

Taqroy

*****vibes***** for Baxter!! And your husband is not the only one. I'm the only one allowed to take dogs to the vet now because Matt always forgets to tell me things. >.<

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Aww how scary! I'm glad it's not a serious murmur. Bax is lucky that he's so well cared for and exercised... I'm sure that has only helped the condition.

Vibes that Bax stays healthy and happy <3

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
thanks for all the vibes, comments and feedback. It just threw me, you know? I will feel better after bloodwork comes back and all is clear. Then I guess we just go with it and hope it doesn't progress to anything more.

I do appreciate all the information.

Doberluv

Good vibes headed your way. grade 1 isn't anything much. hopefully it will stay that way for a long time. chuli had grade 1 for a long time and just recently it's been moved 2 A 4 sorry this is on my cellphone
I wish you and Baxter the best

Members online

No members online now.