Official 2015 Fitness Challenge

JazzyTheSibe

Love is 4 legged word
Started running,and it feels so good. Due to me being so out of shape, it isn't far, at all. I couldn't even get around the blocking without feeling exhausted,& breathing heavily. Started eating healthier too.Eat more fruits. Yoghurt instead of sugary breakfest food. Cut out most sweets, but cupcakes are still my weakness. So is anything with cheese. I

Also looking to lose at least 15 pounds. But its so hard too. Espically when you have parents who get so much junk food.

amberdyan

Started running,and it feels so good. Due to me being so out of shape, it isn't far, at all. I couldn't even get around the blocking without feeling exhausted,& breathing heavily. Started eating healthier too.Eat more fruits. Yoghurt instead of sugary breakfest food. Cut out most sweets, but cupcakes are still my weakness. So is anything with cheese. I

Also looking to lose at least 15 pounds. But its so hard too. Espically when you have parents who get so much junk food.
I feel you on the parental junk food. I lost weight as soon as I moved out of my parents house because I'm great at not BUYING junk food, but if it's there I'm not great at not EATING it, lol.

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
The powers that be are trying to help me slim down. I bought goat cheese yesterday, just went to have some and there was a hole in the seal and it was molded over. DARN IT.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
Speaking of scales, any recommendations? My current one is not accurate and is a total pain in the ass to get to register any weight.

Brattina88

I wasn't really basing my healthly lifestyle change off of weight, I don't measure with inches and pics until Thursday... But I'm down 29lbs as of today. I feel like it's so slow, but I guess it's not. I guess I do feel better, but I Wish I saw it more.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Speaking of scales, any recommendations? My current one is not accurate and is a total pain in the ass to get to register any weight.
This is the one I bought:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0087DD19O/

I like it a lot and as long as I use it on an even, hard surface (my bedroom floor works fine, carpet is not okay as the instructions will tell you) it gives me consistent readings. It's pretty too, haha.

an electric impedance scale can be just fine. Every method has it's error and though impedance "can" be very inaccurate, they can also be very quick, easy and accurate and usually are. The most accurate ways are also the most impractical and expensive.

They key to any of the more practical ways to determine body fat % is to take the measurements at the same time every day and do it multiple times. Example, 10 am, I step on the scale 3 times, take my average and do it again the next day. Getting a "data point" takes about 30 seconds or less and let's you know if your scale is all over the place or not.

and in the end, they're just numbers. If you're 25% or really 20% at any one singular point in time, does it really matter? It gives you a point and you make food and exercise choices from there and in 2 -3 months you check it again to see if what you are doing is working. Are you moving in the right direction? and most of those scales are just fine for that.

Getting an accurate body fat percentage isn't like you're diagnosing cancer or an aneurysm or something. being close enough is ok.

And if it says you're staying at 20%, but you're really 17 or 26%, and you're eating healthy and moving quite a bit, who cares, they're just numbers. You aren't going to win a prize and if you're doing all the healthy things you can do, you're as healthy as you're going to be. And if you're 26%, but you want it to say 22% and you're already doing everything as "healthy" as you can, what are you going to do differently to change those numbers that's going to make you more "healthy"?

Anyway, we use impedance mostly because it's easy and accurate enough. I think Dexa is pretty impractical and very expensive for equipment and like I said, we're not diagnosing a brain aneurysm. It's body fat. Plus why the need for any amount of ionizing radiation for body fat measurements?

Hydrostatic weighing? accurate and incredibly cumbersome. Calipers are just fine if the person doing the measuring is good. But i've found most people don't like exposing more skin and being pulled at and pinched. But it can be a very economical and efficient way to get a body fat measurement.

JazzyTheSibe

Love is 4 legged word
I feel you on the parental junk food. I lost weight as soon as I moved out of my parents house because I'm great at not BUYING junk food, but if it's there I'm not great at not EATING it, lol.
Definitely.

My Mom is especially bad at with getting junk food. The amount of unhealthy, or junk food exceeds the healthy food we have. It's just frustrating, because they really could care less on being healthy.

Then, they'll just bring home fast food without even telling me. I don't want to waste it, so I end up eating it.

On the bright side, I've noticed that exercising really helps my Depression, and just makes me feel better physically, and emotionally.

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
This is the one I bought:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0087DD19O/

I like it a lot and as long as I use it on an even, hard surface (my bedroom floor works fine, carpet is not okay as the instructions will tell you) it gives me consistent readings. It's pretty too, haha.
Thanks! It's also on sale, hell yeah. We only have hardwood in the house (and laminate in the bathrooms) so that'll be fine. :)

Fran27

an electric impedance scale can be just fine. Every method has it's error and though impedance "can" be very inaccurate, they can also be very quick, easy and accurate and usually are. The most accurate ways are also the most impractical and expensive.

They key to any of the more practical ways to determine body fat % is to take the measurements at the same time every day and do it multiple times. Example, 10 am, I step on the scale 3 times, take my average and do it again the next day. Getting a "data point" takes about 30 seconds or less and let's you know if your scale is all over the place or not.

and in the end, they're just numbers. If you're 25% or really 20% at any one singular point in time, does it really matter? It gives you a point and you make food and exercise choices from there and in 2 -3 months you check it again to see if what you are doing is working. Are you moving in the right direction? and most of those scales are just fine for that.

Getting an accurate body fat percentage isn't like you're diagnosing cancer or an aneurysm or something. being close enough is ok.

And if it says you're staying at 20%, but you're really 17 or 26%, and you're eating healthy and moving quite a bit, who cares, they're just numbers. You aren't going to win a prize and if you're doing all the healthy things you can do, you're as healthy as you're going to be. And if you're 26%, but you want it to say 22% and you're already doing everything as "healthy" as you can, what are you going to do differently to change those numbers that's going to make you more "healthy"?

Anyway, we use impedance mostly because it's easy and accurate enough. I think Dexa is pretty impractical and very expensive for equipment and like I said, we're not diagnosing a brain aneurysm. It's body fat. Plus why the need for any amount of ionizing radiation for body fat measurements?

Hydrostatic weighing? accurate and incredibly cumbersome. Calipers are just fine if the person doing the measuring is good. But i've found most people don't like exposing more skin and being pulled at and pinched. But it can be a very economical and efficient way to get a body fat measurement.
Calipers will never work for me because I have a lot of loose skin.
I agree that it doesn't matter if you can or can't get an accurate body fat reading... I just think it's not worth spending money on scales that will give you an inaccurate number, or getting too worked up about it (like some people are like OMG I lost 3 pounds but my body fat increased?).

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Last week was a bad food/drink week and I gained back a pound. Oh, well.

I did measurements last night and I have lost some girth since I measured last (last year LOL)! So that's awesome.

Now to get back to my proper diet again.

RD

Are you dead yet?
I am not really much thinner, my clothes aren't falling off of me, but holy **** I LOOK better. Boobs look bigger because I've lost some of the fat surrounding them, way fewer fat roll lumps, and what used to be flat and sad is a bit of a booty now. I've always had a huge frame and now I am rocking more of an amazon woman look than the giant doughboy look.

This is encouraging.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
I'm a few months late on this topic, but I figured I'd pop in. A little over a month ago my doctor put me on a second blood pressure medication, so I decided I was well overdue to start taking care of myself properly. I've gone back to Weight Watchers and am doing really well. My issue before was just giving up when I had one or two bad days or a week when I didn't lose what I wanted. I've gotten better at "getting right back on the horse" so to speak. I really like the accountability and support I get at the meetings and there are quite a few members (including a coworker) who have reached their goal weight.

I am struggling a bit with exercise. I developed Achilles tendinitis a couple of months ago and it's been bothering me on and off, and really bothers me when I walk quickly. I'm calling a podiatrist tomorrow morning. For now I've started basic pilates as long as it doesn't involve stressing the tendon.

So far I've lost 17 lbs, and a little over 5% of my body weight. My next goal is to get to 10% by June 10th.

JazzyTheSibe

Love is 4 legged word
Well, trying to lose about 5-10 lbs before vacation won't happen. Which is in less then two weeks.

So ****ing disappointed in myself.

Plus it just sucks that there's so much junk food in my parents house. Basically, it's all we have.

And, cravings don't help. Especially when the foods your craving. Is in the house.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
Well, trying to lose about 5-10 lbs before vacation won't happen. Which is in less then two weeks.

So ****ing disappointed in myself.

Plus it just sucks that there's so much junk food in my parents house. Basically, it's all we have.

And, cravings don't help. Especially when the foods your craving. Is in the house.
I understand entirely.
My will power is gradually growing, but today all I wanted was chocolate. Guess what the house is constantly full of. My younger brother seems to be able to live a near sedentary life and eat absolute garbage yet still be lean. I, on the other hand....
Ugh.

Have you tried any of those calorie counter type apps? I've heard some people do well with setting out *healthy* caloric goals for the day and then following through with them with the help of the app.

JazzyTheSibe

Love is 4 legged word
I understand entirely.
My will power is gradually growing, but today all I wanted was chocolate. Guess what the house is constantly full of. My younger brother seems to be able to live a near sedentary life and eat absolute garbage yet still be lean. I, on the other hand....
Ugh.

Have you tried any of those calorie counter type apps? I've heard some people do well with setting out *healthy* caloric goals for the day and then following through with them with the help of the app.
I use to be able to eat all the food in world, and I still wouldn't gain wait. It got to the point of where the doctors were concerned. That isn't the case anymore. I'm not as active, and I do eat more, so that is one reason for weight gain, and... I suspect there could be a other factor.

Anyways... No, I haven't. But I'll look into it. Just need to make some space on my phone(I have over 6,000 photos...). Thanks for suggestions!

Ok so I may have torn the cartilage in my hip. Getting an MRI soon to confirm or deny this. :(
Oh no. I'm sorry to hear that. Sending vibes, and keep us updated.

Members online