Is there any breeds your dog just loves?

chaospony

I've noticed my girls have never met a bull terrier or a Basenji they didn't instantly hit it off with.
Both are shy and take forever to get comfortable with most dogs but there are a few they just hit it off with.
Every single Bull terrier and Baenji they have met they have both instantly loved. Playing non stop and just having a great old time.

Are there any breeds your dog seems drawn too?
Any they hate?

Mine are both afraid of most herding dogs, when they get that herding focus going. They both hide in the corner of the dog park!

Toller_08

Keira loves Rottweilers. I don't know what it is about them, but Keira isn't a particularly doggy dog (as in she really doesn't care about other dogs), and for some reason she loves flirting with Rottweilers and tries to get them to play with her way more than she has any other dog or breed.

Ripley is infatuated with Vizslas. He loves playing with them. I think it's their high energy, ball of fun sort of attitude and the fact that they don't seem particularly pushy (at least the ones he's met). I really don't know. He likes Weimaraners too and GSPs as long as they're not the frantic, anxious kind I see more often than not. He also really likes little dogs.

Dance isn't all that into other dogs either (like Keira), but she loves Dobermans. Probably doesn't help that most of the dogs she's known have been Dobermans. She probably thinks she is one, haha.

Other than that, my dogs are fine with the majority of other dogs. They might not want to play, but they're fine with them. Both girls don't like dogs that get all up in their business and try to push authority, but a lot of dogs probably feel the same way.

As far as breeds they don't like:

Dance is easily annoyed by other retrievers. I don't really know why, she just is. I think she finds them overwhelming.

None of them are fond of terriers. Too in your face and tenacious for them.

They're all weirded out by stalky herding breeds, but it's not that they don't like them. They just don't get what they're doing.

Overall, my dogs just seem to like to meet non-invasive, polite dogs who have an easy going attitude and like to have fun.

Last edited:

Saeleofu

Logan loves collies, shelties, and GSDs. He gets SUPER excited when he sees one. I'm pretty sure he thinks shelties must be BABY COLLIES!!11!1!1!!1the way he acts. He's never met a dog he didn't like, but those breeds he REALLY REALLY likes.

Gavroche likes anything smaller than he is, the smaller the better. He really loves chihuahuas. He doesn't like other boxers, bully types, or labs.

Squash adores tiny dogs. It's weird, with Maisy he plays SO rough and hard, and he is SO careful and tolerant of the wee ones. He will even lay down to play a dialed-down version of "bitey face" with them so they are more level heights. And he lets them crawl all over him, etc. and loves it. Our neighbors' daughter has a wee cocker spaniel mix who he is absolutely head over heels over.

Don't know why.

Catsi

More of a generalisation than a breed, but Grace (Stafford) adores small dogs. She is always very interested when she sees one and spent most of her obedience class (many moons ago) with her back facing me watching the small dog class and whining pitifully.

Abby likes (or should I say, tolerates?) dogs that don't take much interest in her at all... that's why Locke the whippet is a very good match because she'd just have to look in his direction and he would immediately relieve the pressure. They have bonded over time, but the social pressure was always very low, whereas a lot of dogs are just too over the top friendly for her.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Summer loves papillons and anything that looks somewhat papillon-ish. she usually growls at other dogs but she will run up and lick the face of a papillon or a pom or a longhaired chi. There was a tiny sable and white LH chi at petsmart a few weeks ago and Summer immediately went 'Oh it's my people!' And totally overwhelmed the poor chi trying to give her lots of kisses. She really doesn't act that way with all chis or poms though. But ALL papillons are that way.

She also was that way with shelties for a while. I haven't run into shelties enough lately to see if she does the same thing. Ironically enough she's lived with papillons, poms, and shelties before. She's also lived with a GSD, but I haven't tested that out.

Mia hates everyone equally. She is okay with dogs she knows, loves to lick their faces. Her BFF was a collie/aussie/bc type mix. she is also getting to where she really likes the mix in our class too. I'd guess either boxer or pit bull and pointer.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Chloe is fascinated with small dogs. She'll lay down, smack them around with her paws, and just generally treat them like she does kittens. And I haven't seen a breed she likes or dislikes most, but she also gets along VERY well with same-size intact males that don't mind playing very rough. (Although, she's gotten a lot more less physical as she's gotten older and her hip bothers her more.)

Cynder hit it off with Seabees. Not sure if that means she'll like any Lab pup I get, but I took it as a good sign. ^^

Gracie and Cooper don't have a breed preference to my awareness, but they do NOT like big, gawky, physical dogs. They hated Seabees. Cooper would hide under furniture and snark at her whenever she walked by and Gracie would cower in terror in her crate the entire time she was around. So I am *really* hoping that if they are still around when I get my pup that they'll adjust easier to him since he'll start off their size.

M

MyHorseMyRules

Boone looooves labs. Loves them. He will kind of pick and choose who he wants to play with usually, but there's no question when it comes to labs. He will go absolutely goofy over them.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I wanna know where you are in Ontario that you are seeing all these basenjis and bull terriers...

Rosey doesn't like dogs. She thinks she's above them. Plus, they have cooties.

monkeys23

Anything resembling their Rhodie mix boyfriends. Any black and white BC's. :rolleyes:

Lily also loves standard poodles and any kind of big black dog excepting black labs. Black labs are the only kind of dog Lily doesn't like AT ALL.

My dogs tend to like breeds of dogs that they live with or did live with. They get excited when they see another Greyhound, Dogo, Boston, Frenchie, or Dobe.

Casper (Dogo Argentino) was raised by Dobermans and Greyhounds so he goes gaga over them. He also loves any sighthound breed from Italian Greyhounds to Irish Wolfhounds. Standard Poodles are another favorite of his male or female. He loves to rub his muzzle over them! Female Dogos, Great Danes, Bull Terriers and pit bulls he really likes too, but no males. He despises GSDs. He wants to kill them on site. Doesn't care if it male or female adult or puppy. He will explode if one gets near him. Only breed that will set him off. He is a pretty mellow, chill type dog. Other herding breeds like Border Collies annoy him, but as long as they don't try and herd him, he will ignore them.

Ronon- (Greyhound) loves loves loves female pit bulls, especially if they have a "meaty" backside! Hates any yappy, bouncy type dog.

Jack- (Boston Terrier) loves all female dogs, doesn't care the breed. Loves all puppies male or female. He has to challenge any adult male dog he meets, especially other Bostons!

Pongo ( JRT mix) Loves Dobermans (was raised with a litter of Dobe pups) and hates Boston Terriers (including Jack!)

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Kim is head over hocks in love with Malinois. Her best bud was a Mal where we used to live and she just adores them. They seem to adore her back and even ones that are usually pretty breedist seem to regard her as some sort of honorary Mal which just cracks me up.

Webster's favorite breed is any dog that doesn't actually exist. So, uh, no.

Mira is breedist. She doesn't have any particular sort of dog that she opposes but outside of our family she only really loves other retrievers. And there's a clear hierarchy to her preferences: Boy retrievers are better than girl retrievers. Long-haired boy retrievers are better than short-haired boy retrievers. Dark-colored long-haired boy retrievers are better than light-colored long-haired boy retrievers. So Boy FlatCoats Boy Goldens > Boy Labradors (any color) > Girl Retrievers > any other dog. She does not consider Tollers or Curlies to be retrievers so far as I can tell.

The FCR > Golden rule does not apply if you are a certain boy Golden Retriever who does agility in our area. They are in love with one another and there is no other dog in the world who compares for either of them. Thanks to Mira, he now wants to say hello to all the FCRs in the world to see if they are her. Thanks to him, she looks closely at all Goldens we meet (if we aren't working at the time) to see if they are him. It was love at first sight.

JacksonsMom

Typically Westies he seems really drawn to. Also lately herding breeds... I see so few around here but the ones he's met at the dog park he really likes.

He usually dislikes most hounds and Boxers and bully breeds.

SpringerLover

Bailey will recognize another springer from a really long ways away. She gets all wiggly and lurchey and cute. She doesn't actually want to play, she just knows them!

BostonBanker

As much as Meg loves any type of dog, she loves border collies the best. *Not* the cracked out, stereotypical sport ones (which I love - but we learned this week Meg does not!), but generally she likes them. I think because they tend to not be physical with other dogs - the staring, chasing, herding behavior doesn't scare her. She hates retrievers who plow into her or put their feet on her. She also sees so many of them, and they are usually at agility trials where people don't let them bother her. Since her dog issues are mostly fear based, I think she files BCs under "safe".

Gusto's favorite kind of dog is the kind that breathes. Or not. He's really not picky.

Gypsydals

Besides his own breed, Ivan loves LOVES Dobermanns. Especially the big red males. NOt the smartest move on his part. But he seems to think all the red ones are his BFF. Part of that is because of the neighbors had a red male pup that wasn't much older than Ivan. Ivan also thinks all fawn and brindle Danes are his buds. Not quite to the extent of the Dobies.

Peewee has no favorites, he tends to either be ambivalent or he dislikes them.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Kiba has a liking for other schnauzers, as well as other terriers. The poodles really like other poodles. Charlie and Stryder are fine with anything.

Members online

No members online now.