Everything you thought you knew about corn is WRONG

elegy

overdogged
While I prefer to go grain-free, I do not think all grains are equal. Some are worse than others. With corn being at the bottom--it's not easily digestible, it has a high glycemic index, it just doesn't need to be in dog food when there are much better ingredients out there. It's just something cheap to throw in there.
But but but grain free kibble usually uses potato as their carbohydrate and really, is a potato chip more healthy than a corn chip?

Besides, those upscale pet food companies who tout how they use actual *meat* in their foods? It's just BONES. You're buying nothing more than a bag of potato and BONES.

Why yes, I did have the honor of sitting through a Hill's Pet Nutrition Lunch and Learn. Why do you ask?

They're really big on "ingredients don't matter, nutrients do". I think that's a load of baloney, myself. I really need to get that In Defense of Food book. Sounds excellent.

misfitz

Ruddy Buttinski
This article brought to you by the American Corn Growers Council :rolleyes:

Those "meat is good" dog food commercials make me laugh, too. It's like saying, "fruit is good for you! So eat LOTS of Fruity Pebbles cereal!!" Ummm...not the same thing!

elegy

overdogged
I'm pretty sure AAFCO requires meat in their meat meal, yeah. BUT THE HILLS SALES GUY PROBABLY KNOWS BETTER THAN ME. Just sayin'.

P.S. I need a sarcasm font, in case it was lost on my earlier post. It was, in fact, a miracle that I sat through the whole session without my head explodiating. :yikes:

It frustrates me that I could see HELLO THIS IS ALL A SALES PITCH but the other people in the room? Not so much. Sigh.

Dekka

Just try me..
I got the sarcasm.. I was just shocked that they are that ignorant or that bold.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Elegy, I don't know how you didn't just go "ARE YOU FSCKING STUPID?!". I don't think I could have kept my mouth shut. :p

Even humans don't get that much benefit from corn, especially not now that it's the #1 most GMO'd "food" out there.

Danefied

OMG I shared this article is on another forum and there is a self described expert on there going on and on about the benefits of corn. Gotta love it...

Danefied

I wish I could share the link, its really quite hilarious. How you can hydrolyze a protein so the body doesn't recognize it as an allergen (never mind that the body probably doesn't recognize it as food), and how corn protein nutritionally identical to meat protein... Oy...

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
I'm pretty sure AAFCO requires meat in their meat meal, yeah. BUT THE HILLS SALES GUY PROBABLY KNOWS BETTER THAN ME. Just sayin'.

P.S. I need a sarcasm font, in case it was lost on my earlier post. It was, in fact, a miracle that I sat through the whole session without my head explodiating. :yikes:

It frustrates me that I could see HELLO THIS IS ALL A SALES PITCH but the other people in the room? Not so much. Sigh.
This is pretty much precisely why I want to take up our rep's invitation to go visit the Hill's facility. My co-worker went and didn't bother to ask a single question regarding the corn or the by-products.

I wanna go. I wanna be the kid the teacher hates. :popcorn:

Saeleofu

This is pretty much precisely why I want to take up our rep's invitation to go visit the Hill's facility. My co-worker went and didn't bother to ask a single question regarding the corn or the by-products.

I wanna go. I wanna be the kid the teacher hates. :popcorn:
That's why we won't have a Hills lunch n learn at work. My boss knows that even if it's on my day off I WILL show up and I WILL ask questions lol.

elegy

overdogged
I was told in no uncertain terms by a coworker that I was not to cause drama. She told me this before the Barkbusters guy came in too LOL

I asked a couple questions and got a couple non-answers :)

I desperately wanted him to go around the room and ask everybody what they fed, because I was going to say raw, even though that's only Steve. But it would have been CONTROVERSIAL and funny.

He went on and on about how All Life Stages is really puppy food and that's BAD BAD BAD because the AAFCO minimum fat content in puppy food is SIXTY PERCENT HIGHER OMG!! than adult dog food. You know I had to go look that up afterward, right? The minimum for adult food is 5%. For puppy food it's 8%. The adult Canine Healthy Advantage that the guy was pushing was 12.5% fat.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
I was told in no uncertain terms by a coworker that I was not to cause drama. She told me this before the Barkbusters guy came in too LOL
Before each of our seminars, my boss says "bring your toughest questions". :rofl1: She doesn't know what she's in for.

elegy

overdogged
Sometimes I think I'm from a completely different planet than everybody else at work.

I should probably add some corn to my dogs raw meat meals to make sure my carnivores are getting all their nutrients!

I wonder when they're going to come out with nutrient rich people kibble???

Members online

No members online now.